Outgrowing SS1 by height question

Synchro246

OK, so they need 1'' or more of space between their head and the top of the shell. This 1'' is parallel to their spine. Got it. But the SS1 has a "ceiling" of sorts where it curves around the baby's head. Where on the shell should be measured?

I took our SS1 cover off and marked some spots on the eps foam (probably a no-no, I hope it's not that big of a deal)

The line is 1 inch of eps foam as measured parallel to the foam surface. I don't think this mark matters much. I wasn't thinking when I made it.

The middle dot is Mick's head, perpendicular to his spine. Made by sliding a marker over his head strait back to the shell.
The lower dot is one inch from the shell surface perpendicular to his spine.

How close is he to outgrowing this bucket? I'm thinking *maybe* half an inch left or. . .maybe just outgrown.

DSC_0018.jpg

I think I was holding the ruler parallel to what would be the baby's spine.
DSC_0017.jpg

Two pics that demonstrate how much he can move around. If he slouches a little he gets almost a whole inch lower. I tried to hold the ruler parallel to his spine, but you can see there's an angle difference in the two pics.

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Synchro246

The padding in the cover would probably push his head up that last half inch, huh?

I don't think it'd push him up too much. It's super thin. And to even things out a bit he was wearing a double stuffed cloth diap in the pics.
Do you think it might be too close to use much longer?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's 1" of hard shell, and the edge of the foam is really almost at that 1" point based on when we had the SS1 for ds.

I don't think he has a ton of time left in it, but he definitely still fits it. Because of the way the shell curves, kids can grow inches and not really move up much in their head height. So I say just watch him, I thought my ds would outgrow it by 13mos, but he still had about 1/2" left around a month later (last time he was in it before I sold it.)

Synchro246

Ok, I put the seat back together and now that I know a little more it looks like we have nearly 2'' left. I think it's funny how an angle can make such a big difference.

May72008085.jpg

I will still be keeping tabs on his growth, of course.

Thanks for your imput guys :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC