Swedish cars

southpawboston

in the series, there is a swedish expat doctor (who was ousted from practice in his home country due to malpractice... he's a failure, actually) who works in a danish hospital. he channels his frustrated swedish superiority complex angst by blaming the danish for his failure and unhapiness ("die, danish scum, die!") and constantly comparing the hospital techniques to the way they did things in sweden. of course, he also drove a volvo, of which he was very proud ("please be very careful with my volvo 850 G...L...T!"). lol... not saying this is you at all, but the connection did cross my mind... :whistle: ;)

ADS

Adventuredad

in the series, there is a swedish expat doctor (who was ousted from practice in his home country due to malpractice) who works in a danish hospital. he channels his frustrated superiority complex angst by blaming the danish for his problems ("die, danish scum, die!") and constantly comparing the hospital techniques to the way they did things in sweden. of course, he also drove a volvo, of which he was very proud ("this is my volvo 850 G...L...T!"). lol...

Damn Swedes, they are scum. Just causing problems around the world with their egoistic views, pretending to be neutral, and bullshit talk about boring safety etc.:love: They cover it up by giving out some useless Nobel prize that no one cares about and their proudness of gender equality and "kids first" mentality is just an attempt to gain more influence and popularity among peers.:D Clearly just shallow lies:p Oh, and don't mess with my Volvo V70, it's a magnificent piece of machinery!:whistle:

Adventuredad

in the series, there is a swedish expat doctor (who was ousted from practice in his home country due to malpractice... he's a failure, actually) who works in a danish hospital. he channels his frustrated swedish superiority complex angst by blaming the danish for his failure and unhapiness ("die, danish scum, die!") and constantly comparing the hospital techniques to the way they did things in sweden. of course, he also drove a volvo, of which he was very proud ("please be very careful with my volvo 850 G...L...T!"). lol... not saying this is you at all, but the connection did cross my mind... :whistle: ;)

By the way, how did you manage 6000+ posts in just over a year? Impressed!:thumbsup:

southpawboston

By the way, how did you manage 6000+ posts in just over a year? Impressed!:thumbsup:

let's see... 198 posts in 17 days. 365/17*198=4251 posts annually, predicted based on current rate. you're right up there with me, pops! :thumbsup: :cool!:

but seriously, this thread has derailed faster than a swed... oops... i'm sure swedish trains don't derail ;)... that wouldn't be safe... this thread has derailed faster than a boston subway train! ;) sorry to the OP for straying so far off topic... back to our regular programming...

smurf

I travel to Europe quite a bit (Belgium and France mostly) and of course I always peek inside cars to look at car seats. The ONLY time I've ever seen a RF child seat was in Brussels, and of course it was a Volvo wagon, with Swedish plates....

Unfortunately it seems no one else in Europe has caught on. Everytime we've been there with a RF baby past the age of 6 months (yes, only 6 months), people looked at us like we were crazy. I think people in many European countries go from baby bucket straight to FF harness seat where the baby bucket is outgrown.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

Adventuredad

I travel to Europe quite a bit (Belgium and France mostly) and of course I always peek inside cars to look at car seats. The ONLY time I've ever seen a RF child seat was in Brussels, and of course it was a Volvo wagon, with Swedish plates....

Unfortunately it seems no one else in Europe has caught on. Everytime we've been there with a RF baby past the age of 6 months (yes, only 6 months), people looked at us like we were crazy. I think people in many European countries go from baby bucket straight to FF harness seat where the baby bucket is outgrown.

Maybe someone can prove me wrong?

I wish I could prove you wrong but this is unfortunately how things are. Swedes are the champions of car seat safety followed by the Norwegians. Finland is a little further behind. ThEn comes nothing and tehn Denmark (sorry lenats31:)) Researchers joke Denmark is too close to GErmany, which would explain their lax attitudes. The rest of Europe suck. It's better than US but no RF (no offense meant)

You can't find any rf sets in UK and Germany despite Britax having factories there. The child safety education in rest of Europe is also appalling. THis is of great frustration for researchers who have proven for the past 25 years that RF is far superior. I've spent lots of time down in Germany during the past two summers. People there have no idea rf seats even exist. My best friend has three boys and was so confused when I pulled our rf seats from the traveling bags and installed them the wrong way. Him and his wife and highly educated and no dummies.

Last edited:

lenats31

Truth be known, a still growing number of large rf seats are becoming available in DK. More parents buy them. BUT, still many, many parents choose their money, color of seat and their own convinience over safety:mad::eek: Large RF seats ARE available all over Europe, just not in -shall we say - numbers as large as Scandinavia, to put it nicely.:)

Actually, I don´t think Europe is the worst place on earth regarding child car restraints.

That´s Australia! Ain´t that right? "World´s best Ausstralian Standards":ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:

Lena:p

Adventuredad

Truth be known, a still growing number of large rf seats are becoming available in DK. More parents buy them. BUT, still many, many parents choose their money, color of seat and their own convinience over safety:mad::eek: Large RF seats ARE available all over Europe, just not in -shall we say - numbers as large as Scandinavia, to put it nicely.:)

Actually, I don´t think Europe is the worst place on earth regarding child car restraints.

That´s Australia! Ain´t that right? "World´s best Ausstralian Standards":ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO::ROTFLMAO:

Lena:p

Europe is IMHO the continent with the least crappy car seat safety. But it's basically only the boring Scandinavians who give a crap. Australia is just pathetic, they consider ff at 6 months a great idea. THey are not only igonorant but also keep spreading really bad advice. How about "no forward facing baby older than 6 months has EVER had neck/spinal injury in Australia":whistle: Asia and Africa don't really use car seats, don't have much to say about them. US, not doing well. Traffic safety in general is a very sad story. People on this board are of course awesome but don't represent the general public unfortunately.

Denmark is indeed too close to Germany. Rf is a word not known down there. I'm going down there in a few weeks again and will bring the kids. FIrst out of 7 visits this summer..... It's always equally fun to shock them with our rf seats:thumbsup::D

BW1426

Totally OT, but Adventuredad, your new avatar picture of your DD is absolutely beautiful. She's such a cutie.

minismom

I just have to add my :twocents: on this fun thread!
First of all, Sweds rock! Swedish cars and car seats rock too! Love my Volvo :love::love:
Now, back to the practical stuff! Should I be running down to the garage to check my xc90 if there's a RF tether anchor on the foot part of the front passenger seat?? Not that I have a way of disabling my airbag but if it did, it'd just be so cool! I have tether anchors under the front seats, which is already pretty cool! I love Volvo....
Oh, and speaking of car seat awareness, my Finish friends here in LA put a 5yo on the front seat w the shoulder belt behind her back and a 2.5 yo the same way on the back seat. No seats! That's even illegal here! :eek: I was all excited to talk carseats when I met them, cause they were Finish, and then I see this...

Adventuredad

I just have to add my :twocents: on this fun thread!
First of all, Sweds rock! Swedish cars and car seats rock too! Love my Volvo :love::love:
Now, back to the practical stuff! Should I be running down to the garage to check my xc90 if there's a RF tether anchor on the foot part of the front passenger seat?? Not that I have a way of disabling my airbag but if it did, it'd just be so cool! I have tether anchors under the front seats, which is already pretty cool! I love Volvo....
Oh, and speaking of car seat awareness, my Finish friends here in LA put a 5yo on the front seat w the shoulder belt behind her back and a 2.5 yo the same way on the back seat. No seats! That's even illegal here! :eek: I was all excited to talk carseats when I met them, cause they were Finish, and then I see this...

OMG, the Finish are usually decent with car sats. Very disappointing to hear!! I would rank the Finish as number 3 or 4 in the world regarding car seats.

About the Volvo, I would doubt your vehicle have anchor points in the front seat. I think all Volvo's have them over here though. Mine is not that new but the anchors are still there in both front and rear seats. My anchor points were impossible to see, I had to feel them under the mat and cut a little hole with a sharp knife. It's more difficult to get the anchors in there but it makes it very easy to adjust the seat.

I think Volvo is a pretty good car. For many years, lets say 20-30 years ago, the car was really boring. Today, I don't find them exciting but they are modern and well built cars. I think it's a good choice for a family. I do love the XC 90. Great car!

CRS

Senior Community Member
Europe is IMHO the continent with the least crappy car seat safety. But it's basically only the boring Scandinavians who give a crap. Australia is just pathetic, they consider ff at 6 months a great idea. THey are not only igonorant but also keep spreading really bad advice. How about "no forward facing baby older than 6 months has EVER had neck/spinal injury in Australia":whistle: Asia and Africa don't really use car seats, don't have much to say about them. US, not doing well. Traffic safety in general is a very sad story. People on this board are of course awesome but don't represent the general public unfortunately.

Denmark is indeed too close to Germany. Rf is a word not known down there. I'm going down there in a few weeks again and will bring the kids. FIrst out of 7 visits this summer..... It's always equally fun to shock them with our rf seats:thumbsup::D

Your Swedish superiority complex is getting a bit *yawn* ;) Scandanavians aren't the only ones in the world who care, you always talk as if no one else in the world can compare to the wonderful swedish ;) Have to totally agree about Australia though!

lenats31

Europe is IMHO the continent with the least crappy car seat safety. But it's basically only the boring Scandinavians who give a crap. Australia is just pathetic, they consider ff at 6 months a great idea. THey are not only igonorant but also keep spreading really bad advice. How about "no forward facing baby older than 6 months has EVER had neck/spinal injury in Australia" Asia and Africa don't really use car seats, don't have much to say about them. US, not doing well. Traffic safety in general is a very sad story. People on this board are of course awesome but don't represent the general public unfortunately.

That´s what I mean:)Furthermore, Australian Standards and the government don´t make sled tests/lab crash tests public for every parent to see. Also they keep on nagging on EuroNCAP, claiming their crash tests and the test dummies are insufficient. If their own sled tests are so good and their car seats perform so well, then why not make these crash tests/sled tests public:confused:

As for the use of Top tether, which apprently no-one-else in the world uses::confused: sure that´s a good invention and should be used. But they are wading around in old sucess:eek: whereas the rest of the world except for Africa keeps working on improving their seats. It is really funny how almost the whole world considers RF past the first year of life the safest thing to do in cars and Australia doesn´t.":thumbsup:"

Sorry for the rant.

Lena - relax. Take a deep breath. There:)

Lena

CRS

Senior Community Member
That´s what I mean:)Furthermore, Australian Standards and the government don´t make sled tests/lab crash tests public for every parent to see. Also they keep on nagging on EuroNCAP, claiming their crash tests and the test dummies are insufficient. If their own sled tests are so good and their car seats perform so well, then why not make these crash tests/sled tests public:confused:

I don't think the US does either?

As for the use of Top tether, which apprently no-one-else in the world uses::confused:

What do you mean? Do you mean that's what *they* say?

sure that´s a good invention and should be used. But they are wading around in old sucess:eek: whereas the rest of the world except for Africa keeps working on improving their seats. It is really funny how almost the whole world considers RF past the first year of life the safest thing to do in cars and Australia doesn´t.":thumbsup:"

Definitely more places then Africa - but I wouldn't really compare Africa though, just don't even go there lol.

The Australians seem to have a superiority complex too ;) Except in this case it's to (IMO) the detriment of children! It's like they acknowledge rear-facing "err yea rear-facing is safe but past 6 months it's not neccessary and forward-facing is as safe as" err whatever....

southpawboston

As for the use of Top tether, which apprently no-one-else in the world uses::confused: sure that´s a good invention and should be used. But they are wading around in old sucess:eek:

huh? the US had the top tether first, loooooong ago (MANDATORY in passenger cars since 1998 or thereabouts?), and it's only now catching on in europe.

Adventuredad

Your Swedish superiority complex is getting a bit *yawn* ;) Scandanavians aren't the only ones in the world who care, you always talk as if no one else in the world can compare to the wonderful swedish ;) Have to totally agree about Australia though!

Sorry you feel that way....:( I might come across as a typical Swede who loves his home country but that's not me. I don't even consider Sweden my home country, I'm half American.:thumbsup: I'm as far from a typical Swede as you can get. Out of the past 20 years , I've only lived the past 5 in Sweden. The rest in US. I've been to 35 out of 50 states there and have a good view of what's going on. I've also traveled around in 30 different countries and speak four languages. On top of that, I'm married to a Mexican girl and we raise our kids tri-lingually. As you can see, I'm a really screwed up mix of many different things:whistle: My views are based on what I've experienced, statistics, stuff I read, and input from our many friends around the world.

Your input is always appreciated, I like it since it's straight forward and honest. Plus you're very knowledgeable and have an awesome website:thumbsup::thumbsup:. I know the Swedish crap gets annoying but it's tough not to mention it since we're talking child safety here. I will try to be less annoying (good luck with that, damn Swede:love:):whistle:

In Australia, the law of physics apparently work very differntly. There, it's better to ff as early as possible to avoid neck injury. Makes perfect sense to the Australians but no one else:whistle:

southpawboston

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC