Which is it -- least protected or most vulnerable?

pastrygirl

I've just completed day 3 of my CPST course. Tomorrow we're finishing up and have the car seat check. :D

The matter of where to place two children in the car came up. The instructor's answer was to place the most vulnerable, meaning younger, child in the safest spot (middle if possible). I've always heard that it should be the least protected child (meaning FF or booster) in the most protected spot, and mentioned that. The instructor said that was incorrect.

So... which is it? Does "most vulnerable" mean youngest because they aren't as developed yet as older children in the car, or does it mean least protected even though they might be more developed than other children in the car?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
It's a combination of both, and it's more of an art than a science, IME and IMO. For instance, I would consider a 5'0", 100-pound, 11-year-old less vulnerable/more protected than a 44", 41-pound, 4-year-old in a high-backed booster. But I would definitely consider a 48", 45-pound, 6-year-old in the same backless booster MORE vulnerable/LESS protected than the 4-year-old in a high-backed booster.

pastrygirl

What if you compare either of those booster scenarios to a RF infant in an infant seat? They said the infant seat should go in the center, and the kid in the booster should go outboard...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would put the infant seat outboard. I think an argument could be made to put the adult-size kid outboard over a brand-new baby -- I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't argue too hard with someone who would.

scatterbunny

Most instructors/techs haven't made the connection between how much safer rear-facing is than forward-facing, and that same rear-facing infant being more protected simply by being rear-facing than an older child.

I explain both points of view to a parent (youngest child=least protected, rear-facing child=most protected), and let them make the decision. :D

canadianmom2three

Hmmmmm, interesting, our current 3 across set up is DD(8, 80+lbs) in an oto outboard, DS(11 90lbs) in nothing in the middle, and DS (5 55+lbs) in the Radian other outboard, but I always thought DS11 was least protected. At the same time, I want to move DS5 (who will be in a hb booster very shortly since he's above the top slots of the Radian already) to center for convenience (he is HORRIBLE about kicking the back of the seats and it is driving DH and I insane) and put DS11 outboard. We are driving a 07 Hyundai Veracruz, which does have side curtain airbags, and headrests in all positions. TIA for any insight. I think really, in the grand scheme of things, they are all pretty protected, but would be interested to hear opinions.....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I consider the child with the highback booster to be more protected than the oldest child without a booster (or in a no-back), in a car with no curtain airbags, especially (think of the crash tests...you want that outboard kid's head to be protected in headwings or by airbags rather than striking windows, right?).

There're so many variables with cars, though... most still don't have shoulderbelts or headrests in the middle so you'd have to put a harnessed seat there...and when they have curtain airbags versus not having them, that will weigh on the decision somewhat... and of course the 'will the older child kill the younger child if they are next to each other :p' question.

I agree with Jenny... even most instructors don't fully grasp just how much safer rearfacing really is so they keep saying 'baby in the middle'

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I know some instructors don't see eye to eye but honestly either way is correct. I agree if another tech was to put the newborn center & older child outboard I too wouldn't argue over it.

Also you have to look at the situation too. When you say "infant" that is a age range of 0-12mths old. I personally feel a newborn or maybe up to 3mths of age is more vulnerable then a 3/4yr old forward facing and would encourage mom to put that child center. The newborn has no body control where the 3/4yr old bones are stronger.

If your talking about a 16mth old that is rear facing to a 4yr old forward facing then yes I would put the 16mth old outboard & the 4yr old forward facing.

It's all about the situation and ultimitly it is up to the parents to make the call as to who goes where. Some of the times the vehicle just won't allow a side by side or a certain seat to be rear facing outboard due to size/recline. It's tough choices and again parental decisions.

tjham

I emailed a local SafeKids coordinator about this and here was her response:

"It matters not which child goes in the center.
The child safety seats should be placed where the seat fits the best in the vehicle and is convenient for the parent.
Frequently with 2 children, the seats are placed in the outboard seating positions (by the door).
If the seats can be placed side by side it is parent dependent on who sits where.
I have been doing this for 12 years and have never heard the "least protected" child should sit in the center.
If a booster is being used, a lap/shoulder belt must be present and with many vehicles that is not the case although this is changing."

I thought it was curious that she had never even heard of it :confused: .

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Personally, I make a stab at putting the child who has the most protection in the least protective spot in the car, but honestly, the difference in seating position shows very little gain from one to the other. For me, real life kicks in and I end up putting everyone in the most practical locations for the car and situation.

Since I have 3 kids, placement is often determined by what fits where in a 3 across. Many days. sanity is the goal and everyone is outboard in my SUV so nobody can kick or poke at anyone else. Some situations, practicality must play a role. If I block off all the doors with rfing seats, how am I supposed to get the ffing kiddo in the middle. The location of tether anchors and space front to back for a rfing seat also plays a big role.

Beckers

Ok, it must be the smart-a$$ in me, but I just keep thinking...Wouldn't the least protected child be the most vunerable? :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC