Used Jogger purchasing advice

CaraMia

Okay, here's the situation. For one week twice a year there is a consignment (or Mom to Mom) sale here in my town. I am contemplating a purchase, but I want to get some advice so that I don't make a stupid impulse buy. The sale officially starts on 5/10, but there is a pre-sale day for consigners on 5/9. Anything decent usually goes on that day - and FAST.

I don't really need another stroller - and DH would steam if he knew I was contemplating this - but I'm thinking about looking for a used double jogger. The only double that I have is a Sit and Stand, and I'd like something that I could use to take the kids on a jog (I haven't run on a road in years - my feet might freak out at first not sensing a treadmill).

I've decided that since this is an impulse buy, I've made a few rules, but I'd like some input from those of you that have used them. It's got to be a decent stroller, in good condition, for under $100 preferrably.

What brands of strollers should I keep an eye out for? What marks of bad condition should I look for? Any features I should keep in mind. I have no idea what I'll find, but I imagine there will be a couple gems there.

Thanks!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
For jogging you need BIG wheels, at least 16". A fixed front wheel is best and if you get the large wheels, you likely won't find a swivel wheel anyway. The swivel wheels are generally smaller and thus give baby a rougher ride and may have a bit of wobble and harder for stroller to stay true while jogging. A hand brake is a very nice safety feature, especially if you run on any hills or run at higher speeds.

Off the top of my head, Bob and Baby Jogger are great names for running strollers.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's best to wait until baby is around a year before jogging with them. The higher speeds in jogging/running over jogging create greater shaking motion for baby and with their higher head size/weight to body ratio, it's better to wait until they are older.

solmama

Under $100 for a double jogger, that's nice, is going to be tough to find. Most good double joggers retail for $300+, so finding a used one for under $100 would be a great deal! Maybe $150.

We have a Dreamer Designs Ditto Lite (that I'm trying to sell, actually, locally though)...they're nice. Like the pp said Bob strollers, Baby jogger, some of the Schwinn ones are nice (they are made by InStep). There are lots of other makers out there, some companies bigger than others. Kelty also makes jogging strollers.

Look for wear, in the seats especially. Make sure the seat support is fully secure (the Schwinn strollers, a while back had some problems in this area) and not compromised in any way.

I'd also go for a bigger, fixed wheel over any of the swivel ones. Especially for jogging.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC