Best for 2007 Honda Odyssey

waterskiidaho

I am trying to decide which seat is best for my 4.7 year old son that weighs 40lbs and 41.5 inches tall. Right now I tossing around either the Graco Nautilus or the Compass B510. I own a Honda 2007 Odyssey and he would be sitting in the second row. Does anyone have any experience with what seat may work better. All help is appreciated.

ADS

nml12903

My 5 year old DD is about the same size as your son, and I drive the same car. We have a Regent in one of the captains chairs in the second row and it is a wonderful fit.

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
I would also go with a Regent; I have one in my Odyssey and it fits well, and your little guy would have plenty of room in it (my 9 yr old still fits) and be able to stay harnessed..much better option than a booster, IMO.

bombedier

Senior Community Member
My recommendation would be to harness your son rather than consider a booster seat at the moment. The absolute minimum for a child to be in a booster is 4 years and 40lbs, however the child also has to have the maturity to sit correctly in the booster with seatbelt - generally that is not attained until 6 years or older.

A 5 point harness seat is safer than a booster - more points over which to spread crash forces, child restraint in correct seating position at point of impact etc.

The Regent will allow you to harness for the longest time. However, the Nautilus is also a good option to be considered.

AlmostFive

I have a Graco Nautilus installed in the 2nd row of my 07 Odyssey. It installs like a dream both in the captain's chairs and in the outboard positions of the 3rd row bench. Even at 8 1/2 months pg, I can get that thing rock solid in less than 2 minutes. We love it!

waterskiidaho

Dear AlmostFive,
Is is true that in the Odyssey once the child reaches over 40 lbs and if they are in the harness that you can not use the latch system? I am trying to locate this in my Honda manual and haven't found it yet. If this is the case for a child over 40lbs and in the harness do you just use the seat belt and the tether to install? How old is your child that is using the Nautilus? Thanks for your help!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm not Almostfive, but can address the LATCH weight limit question for you. :) 40 lbs. is the child weight limit for using the lower LATCH anchors to install in Honda models. It's not actually stated in the Honda's owner's manual (though it really should be in there), but we fortunately have the helpful resource of the LATCH manual stating LATCH weight limits by vehicle manufacturer to help us out: http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/pg_126_max_wt_07.pdf

You would need to install with the vehicle seatbelt for a kid weighing 40 lbs. and up, and it's recommended to continue to use the top tether at any weight due to the safety benefits of top tethering, which serves to reduce head excursion in a crash. Details on the recommendation to always use the top tether are at: http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm

AlmostFive

As the PP said, the LATCH limit on Hondas is 40lb, but that is fairly common on many cars. It's not in the Odyssey manual, but the Nautilus manual gives a 48lb LATCH limit, unless it is lower for a specific vehicle and tells you to check with the manufacturer. For what it's worth, I have installed the Nautilus easily in all positions with both LATCH and seatbelt. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post!

My dd is 3 1/2 and 36lbs. I'm not sure of her height, she just went through a growth spurt, but is barely in the second to top slots of the Nautilus.

waterskiidaho

Thank you to everyone who posted.....I am going to go to Babies R Us next weekend and try out the Nautilus. Thanks again for everyone's help - I really appreciate all of the information.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC