Is it ok for a tall 40 pound 4 year old who has outgrown her harnessed seat to move to booster?

ntepper

What do you do if your 4 year old outgrows her harnessed seat (Nautilus, Frontier, Radian, etc) by height but still only weighs 40 pounds?? Do you buy a Regent at that point to keep her harnessed longer or is it ok to go to a booster?

ADS

4boysmom

is this hypothetical? I think the nautilus at least really is going to run fairly true to stated weight limits. My 6 yo who is 50 some odd pounds still has some time in the seat. My 45ish pound almost 5yo has a full strap hole to go before he outgrows it so I'd say that kids are definately going to get to (well over) over 40 pounds in that seat at least.

ntepper

It is hypothetical . . . My daughter is 3 years old and she very tall and very skinny and I am trying to decide whether to buy her a Nautilus or Frontier or whether to just go ahead and get her the Regent. I have a feeling that she will still be very small (40-45 pounds) when she outgrows those seats (Nautilus and Frontier) by height. And I dont want to end up purchasing a Regent then! If a child does outgrow the Nautilus or Frontier by height yet still weighs only 40-45 pounds, what do you do? Booster them or suck it up and by a Regent? I know its just a hypo but I cant help but factor it in to my decision making! Is it height or weight (or both) that matter when deciding if its ok to go to a booster?

ntepper

is this hypothetical? I think the nautilus at least really is going to run fairly true to stated weight limits. My 6 yo who is 50 some odd pounds still has some time in the seat. My 45ish pound almost 5yo has a full strap hole to go before he outgrows it so I'd say that kids are definately going to get to (well over) over 40 pounds in that seat at least.

BTW - how tall are they??

scatterbunny

Yes, seriously, I'd love to know if this is a real-life situation, or hypothetical, because my 97th-percentile-for-height daughter is almost 7 and just now almost at the top slots of the Nautilus and Frontier. She only outgrew a Radian between 6 and 6.5 years old. I really can't imagine any 4 year old, however tall/long-torsoed, truly outgrowing those seats. Now, a 4yo outgrowing a Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard, sure...but not a Frontier/Nautilus.

ntepper

Yes, seriously, I'd love to know if this is a real-life situation, or hypothetical, because my 97th-percentile-for-height daughter is almost 7 and just now almost at the top slots of the Nautilus and Frontier. She only outgrew a Radian between 6 and 6.5 years old. I really can't imagine any 4 year old, however tall/long-torsoed, truly outgrowing those seats. Now, a 4yo outgrowing a Marathon/Decathlon/Boulevard, sure...but not a Frontier/Nautilus.

Ok, that makes me feel much better! My daughter has been over (way over)100% for height since she was 6 months old. Yet she is only 25% for weight. Its between the Nauti and the Frontier then . . . I just wish someone would tell me which to get!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read EVERYTHING on these boards about both of them and I change my mind every day!!

scatterbunny

It's a tough choice. :p They're both great seats.

I just checked out the clinical growth charts, and if your dd stays in the 100th percentile for height she would be about my daughter's height at 6.5 years old, and weigh 42-44 pounds at that time, if she stays in the 25th percentile for weight.

6 years old and 40+ pounds is okay for booster use, especially if the child is also super-tall, just skinny. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC