Radian vs Nautilus

ntepper

Ok, I have limited my choices down to the Radian or the Nautilus for my soon to be 3 year old daughter (30 pounds, 40.5 inches tall). What I am wondering is, will both keep my daughter harnessed for the same amount of time? I know the Nautilus will provide me with booster after that but at this point I am just worried about the harness mode. Does anyone have any opinion about whether one of these seats will allow a child to be harnessed longer than the other? And if the answer is, they are the same, are there any opinions about which one I should buy? Based on comfort, safety, etc?

ADS

BW1426

It would be helpful to have her torso measurement. The Nautilus has slightly higher top harness slots, though the radian can be used an inch past the top slots (a special feature of that seat). So, it comes down to your budget, the vehicle you drive, how particular you are about the fabric/color and whether or not you have other children is also a factor (at least when I consider seats). The radian comes in pink (which, I know safety shouldn't be a matter of pretty patterns), but with some kids I'd let them "choose" (you know what I mean) their seat to help keep them harnessed as long as possible.

ntepper

It would be helpful to have her torso measurement. The Nautilus has slightly higher top harness slots, though the radian can be used an inch past the top slots (a special feature of that seat). So, it comes down to your budget, the vehicle you drive, how particular you are about the fabric/color and whether or not you have other children is also a factor (at least when I consider seats). The radian comes in pink (which, I know safety shouldn't be a matter of pretty patterns), but with some kids I'd let them "choose" (you know what I mean) their seat to help keep them harnessed as long as possible.

Her torso is 14 inches. I assume her legs must be long cause she is really tall for her age! Budget is not really an issue and either is color. This is such a hard decision! I was leaning towards the Nautilus but then I read a ton today about the Radian and now I just do not know! I wish there was a store I could go to that carried both so I could try them both out. But it seems that stores carry either one or the other . . . does anyone know a store that carries both?

ntepper

I drive a VW Touraig but my lease is up in June (I am thinking of one of the Hybrid trucks - Lexus, Toyota or Ford). I am pregnant right now with our second.

BW1426

That helps. The radian is difficult to install without LATCH in some situations (making it an issue if you wanted her installed in the center with a vehicle that did not have center LATCH anchors or allow borrowing of anchors). Installing it with LATCH is no problem. I have mixed feelings about the Nautilus. I think it is great for a one kid family (I know others will disagree). I think it is a nice booster, but I think there are better options out there. I would personally get a radian (I love my radian) and have her use it until the baby outgrows their infant seat, then you could move the baby to the radian and reassess your daughter's seat needs (I'm sure there will be many more options at that point as well).

tlj

I would personally get a radian (I love my radian) and have her use it until the baby outgrows their infant seat, then you could move the baby to the radian and reassess your daughter's seat needs (I'm sure there will be many more options at that point as well).

This is great advice. We have both and like them both very much. I was going to suggest the Nautilus, but the pp has a good plan with the Radian going to the baby after they are out of the infant seat. I was really only going to suggest the Nautilus because of the arm rests and the cup holder options as nice for a 3yo. Beyond that, install would be the only thing that really mattered, IMO.
My daughter seems to like both equally well.

mamaofthree

The harness adjuster on the Nautilus is heavenly. That is something that may or may not matter to you. I love my MA, but hate the harness adjuster. I wouldn't buy another one for that reason alone. I hear the Radian has a similar, hard to adjust mechanism.

Kimberly

BW1426

I didn't like the harness adjuster at first, but I have discovered it has a bit of a learning curve and I don't find it to be a bother anymore. Definately not a make or break deal in and of itself.

sfeitler

The harness adjuster on the Nautilus is heavenly. That is something that may or may not matter to you. I love my MA, but hate the harness adjuster. I wouldn't buy another one for that reason alone. I hear the Radian has a similar, hard to adjust mechanism.

Kimberly

Yes, at least on my Radian, the adjuster is difficult--especially when used FF. The adjuster on the Nautilus is a joy.

But if you are expecting a child that might use the Radian later, it's a reasonable choice. Or if you'll need to get 3 across at some point (maybe for carpooling?).

I think my DD likes her Radian and Nautlius equally well, although I haven't really asked her. She doesn't complain about either one. She finds the Nautilus slightly easier to buckle/unbuckle herself, but that's probably not worth considering with a 3-year-old (at least, my DD could not have buckled or unbuckled at 3 years old).

-Sarah

ntepper

What do you all think of the Compass True Fit compared to the Radian? Same 18 inch harness height right? Any reason for me to consider this seat? So many seats!!!!!!!!!!

BW1426

A new owner of the True Fit just posted that it is not good for Extended RearFacing and it is a really big seat from what I hear. I haven't heard enough good things about it to recommend it. I still think a radian is your best bet. And, I would pick the Nautilus over the True Fit.

ntepper

Thanks SO much for all your help everyone! If I can find a place that sells both I am going to go there and try my daughter in them. I just want to see them in person and compare. I will let you all know what I decide!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Trying them out IRL is your best bet, but here are some pics of my dd in each:

Radian (harness on the top slots; she's over the 2nd-to-top slots on this seat):
IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

Nautilus (she's just under the 2nd-to-top slots, and has quite a bit more growing room than in the Radian):
IMG_1783.jpg

I like both seats. The Nautilus gets my :love: because it's so easy to install and has higher top slots, but the Radian gets an equal amount for use on the plane and for getting 3-across. I also like it RF, though I haven't had a child young enough to use for that - I just like the way the RF kids fit in it when I've tried them out.

ntepper

So then we will have more time and room in the Nautilus? That is really my deciding factor I think. She is so tall and SO thin that I feel like she will outgrow the top slots on the harness (in any seat!) when she is just at or barely at 40 pounds. And what will I do then? Put her in a booster?

That is actually a question that I have been wondering! What do people do when their kids outgrow the top slots of their harnessed seats yet do not weigh enough for a booster (I mean, I guess she will technically weigh enough based on the seats requirements but not based on my wanting her harnessed longer)? Am I forced at that point to either harness her or buy a REGENT?? Cause if that is the case . . . should I just suck it up and buy the Regent? I really dont want that huge seat! Is it ok to put your 40 pound, potentially 50 plus inch kid in a booster seat? I am totally babbling and speculating about what will be in 5 or 6 years but I can't help but think ahead!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think 7ish (when the Nautilus seems to be 'average' for outgrowing by height) is a fine age to go to a booster for most kids. If you decide then that you want a Regent or something even taller, then you can look at those seats then, but I think you'll easily get 3-4 years out of a Nautilus if you get one now (or Frontier...that's probably also a great choice).

:)

ntepper

I think 7ish (when the Nautilus seems to be 'average' for outgrowing by height) is a fine age to go to a booster for most kids. If you decide then that you want a Regent or something even taller, then you can look at those seats then, but I think you'll easily get 3-4 years out of a Nautilus if you get one now (or Frontier...that's probably also a great choice).

:)

Thanks! I wanted the Frontier originally but then after all the install issues just kind of decided against it. Now that they seem to have resolved those I'll have to reconsider. Do you have any opinion about which (GN or Frontier) will last me longer in harness mode? Or do you think their about the same?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They seem to be about the same in harness mode. Where the Frontier would 'win' is in the flip up armrests (for me...it makes it easy for a kid to climb into a seat, IMO), and the side impact protection is probably superior (a bigger consideration in a car with no side airbags), it's also taller as a booster later, and has a deeper seat for longer legged older kids. The harness adjuster on the Nautilus is pretty tempting, though...it's as smooth as butter, lol. Tough call!!! :)

ntepper

tough call is right!! i wish I could just go to a store that carries them all so i can sit my daughter in them and then decide! but that is highly unlikely!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC