Titan Slots?

ADS

nhlbluesgirl

Thanks for the link! That is a very nice reference chart. :thumbsup:

I saved it as a favorite, and hopefully I won't forget that I have it. LOL :whistle:

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Yes, 14" is what I got for the top harness slot on the Titan Elite, and that was pushing down on the padding as well. I was quite disappointed in that measurement!

Mama!

Neither of my kids would fit well in that seat with such low top slots.:thumbsdown: These carseat companies need to get a grip.

christineka

The titan is a convertible. I think the scenera's top slots are the same hight. Why must one seat last until age 6? I just don't understand...

Christine

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Even compared to other 40 pound seats that's low, though...it's kind of wrong for them to say a seat is good till 40 or 50 pounds when the top slots only get most kids to age 2.5 and 30 pounds, IMO.:eek:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The titan is a convertible. I think the scenera's top slots are the same hight. Why must one seat last until age 6? I just don't understand...

Christine
Of course a seat doesn't *need* to last from birth to age six, but parents should be aware of the limitations of the seat. The Titan costs about $100. A lot of parents would be very disappointed to spend $100 on a seat and have it outgrown around age 2.5-3. Some families only have one child. :)

scatterbunny

:yeahthat: to Julie. :p

For a seat that costs $100, that says it will last to 50 pounds, the Titan is a disappointment. 14 inch top slots would have been outgrown by my daughter right around her 2nd birthday, at about 30 pounds. :rolleyes:

At least a $40 Cosco Scenera will last longer than the Titan (would have not been outgrown by my daughter until closer to 3, and 35 pounds), and is $60 cheaper, and in my experience is much easier to use properly (are the new Titans any easier to adjust than the old Titans?).

:twocents: I get irritated at manufacturers who simply shove a heavier dummy into the seat, and, because it passed testing that way, slap the higher weight limit on the seat, no change in seat shell or top slot height. It is misleading to parents, and increases the likelihood the seat will be misused.

Mama!

:twocents: I get irritated at manufacturers who simply shove a heavier dummy into the seat, and, because it passed testing that way, slap the higher weight limit on the seat, no change in seat shell or top slot height. It is misleading to parents, and increases the likelihood the seat will be misused.

Exactly. That false sense of "hey I bought a seat that will get us to age 4 or so" is just so deceiving, and the huge % of misuse out there is partly due to seats like that. People keep kids in these low slot/low weight convertibles long past when the seat should be discarded.

scatterbunny

Exactly. That false sense of "hey I bought a seat that will get us to age 4 or so" is just so deceiving, and the huge % of misuse out there is partly due to seats like that. People keep kids in these low slot/low weight convertibles long past when the seat should be discarded.

Yep. Most parents feel that they'll need three seats for one child: an infant seat, a convertible seat and a booster seat. That convertible is "supposed" to last until their child is ready for a booster seat, plain and simple. What most parents fail to realize is that a seat is actually outgrown when shoulders go over top slots, by height. They only pay attention to that harnessed weight limit, if even that. Most parents do not realize that most convertibles are outgrown by height long before weight, so another harnessed seat will be needed in between the convertible and booster. They don't know that, if they just went with a little more expensive convertible that has taller top slots and/or a higher weight limit, they are eliminating the need to buy that extra seat.

Of course there are diligent parents who read the manuals, understand when the seat is outgrown by height and have no issues buying another seat before a booster seat, but those parents are definitely not the majority.

christineka

There are also short torsoed kids like mine. My 5 year old, who weighs 43 pounds barely fits in the titan's harness.

I think people should look at the seats before buying or read the specs on the internet. Then they could see how much room the child has for growth.

There are many seats out there that are more expensive and not as good as the scenera. The titan isn't the only one. I think the scenera is just an oddball, whereas all the rest seem "normal". While I wouldn't actually buy the titan, I could see that if you happened to have it you might as well use it. (As I do because I happen to have it. My 3.5 year old can rear-face in it.)

Christine

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, I agree that if a person has the seat, s/he should use it to the limit, especially rear-facing. I don't think anyone here is arguing otherwise. But it's also true that a $100 Titan won't last as long as a $100 Uptown, or even a $40 Scenera.

Mama!

Yes, I agree that if a person has the seat, s/he should use it to the limit, especially rear-facing. I don't think anyone here is arguing otherwise. But it's also true that a $100 Titan won't last as long as a $100 Uptown, or even a $40 Scenera.

Right.

And you need to realize that the reality is...there are a lot(actually, a ton) of stupid ignorant people out there who just pick a seat based on the color or the "look" of the seat.

There are simply people who are not that smart. I saw in Walmart, just the other day, someone choosing a crappy 75 dollar seat over a 45 dollar Scenera, when they really could have used that Scenera.

I don't mean to be rude, but "we" the general public here wish that carseat companies would be more realistic. I paid $180 for a very nice Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega seat a year ago. My kid had outgrown it in 9 months. He was simply too tall. What a waste. :thumbsdown: There is no way I could use that seat to 4 and 40. We didn't even make it to 2.5 and 30! So now that seat is useless to us. I'm passing it on to a friend.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC