uh oh: does monterey require vehicle support?

ginny4

here's the page from manual:
Montereymanualpg13-14.jpg

read down on page 13 IMPORTANT section

do they mean that the entire seat including headrest has to have vehicle support or they just talking about the main backrest part has to be against teh vehicle seatback? if its the later i'm ok.:confused:

ADS

Beckers

It sounds to me like they mean it has to be in contact with the seat...Some headrests push a seat forward so you would have to raise the head rest to keep it from doing that. :twocents:

ginny4

so its not like the apex headrest rule or anything right? i was just so worried since my van has low bench seat with no headrests in the 3rd row. phew panicked for nothing

crunchierthanthou

I agree- that's what I would expect it to mean. although the SSK engineer who hosted a chat session did say that it requires a certain amount of support from the vehicle seatback-

skipspin -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: Is SK considering increasing the hip-to-shoulder height for older children in vehicles without adequate head support?

Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: Sorry is this with regard to a harnessed seat or booster?

skipspin -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: Re: the Monterey

Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: The Monterey like any booster has to rely to some degree on the auto seat back for support for rebound, so given the current capacity of the Monterey we really can't go much taller otherwise we run out of adequate head neck support

skipspin -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: In regards to seatback support, will using the Monterey in an older vehicle with very low seat backs be a risk to children on the higher end of the seat limits?

Carseatengr -> Special Events - CEU Chat Session: The owners of older cars shall have to simply follow our instruction manual with that application. I don't mean to give you a bland response here but the variation in seat height can be considerable. And the safety of the child is the real concern, so some older vehicles may not work given their low seat back height

it's not very specific, other than to say that we should follow the manual. :( Given that wording and Dave's response, you can't help but wonder if it does require full support from the vehicle seatback. If only we had someone other than Russ to go to for additional clarification. His answers also change with wording. :rolleyes:

ginny4

ALL IS GOOD! i called CS (email was taking to long) & they clarified that ONLY the MAIN part of the booster is to be in full contact of the vehcile seat. the headrest is allowed to go well beyond the vehicle seatback. so it's not the same as the dorel boosters you can use it with a low back seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC