How often should I weigh her?

VoodooChile

My dd (2.5 y/o) got weighed at the doctor's office today--32 lbs. She's skirting pretty close to the rf limit on her Marathon and I don't want to risk going over 33 lbs, but I don't want to turn her before I absolutely have to either. How often should I weigh her? I know to do it after dinner, fully dressed with shoes.

ADS

courtfrog2

was she weighed at the doctor fully dressed with shoes on? If so, I'd give her another month and then switch her to FF.

If she was weighed with her clothes off at the doctors though, I would probably turn her now. :(

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I agree. If she was weighed without shoes and/or clothes, I'd flip her now. That close to the weight limit, I'd weight frequently and might even just flip her now.

southpawboston

if you do decide to keep her RF, i personally would not weight my kiddo constantly, as that could instill emotional issues revolving around weight... you don't want those issues to get planted so young if you can avoid it, KWIM?

natysr

if you do decide to keep her RF, i personally would not weight my kiddo constantly, as that could instill emotional issues revolving around weight... you don't want those issues to get planted so young if you can avoid it, KWIM?

I won't post the "yeah that" emoticon since it annoys everyone.

Instead, I will just say "You took the words right out of my mouth."

I would go ahead and turn her now. You made it to 2 1/2 which is great. :thumbsup:

LCMOM

Senior Community Member
I told my DD why I was doing so, and weighed once a week to see how close we could go, but if you prefer to turn her and not have to worry, go for it; she is already been made much safer than so many kids out there!!

VoodooChile

It's funny b/c she's usually 30.5-31 lbs on our home scale (she usually wants to be weighed when I weigh myself), fully dressed w/ shoes. I still have to deal with the tether anchor issue before I flip her--I cannot for the life of me find them in my cargo area so the dealer installed 2 for me--outboard, where they do me no good (2000 Mountaineer). If she has to be ff, I at least want her in the center (not an option w/ rf b/c of where the heat/air vents are), and I insist on tethering. I'm annoyed w/ myself b/c I know there's got to be something back there (Latch manual says they are on the "floor" which I don't see behind the seat b/c of the cargo area) and I can't find them. Grrrr.

aisraeltax

i agree about not weighing all the time but i would check the accuracy of YOUR scale and use that one. dr's scales are notoriously off (look at how much they get used).

i personally would keep her RF'ing as long as possible.

i think weighing once every 2 weeks (random time frame) wouldnt subject her to much trauma if you make it fun (which i have done w/ my son lately due to other issues... i run on the scale - not fun while prego - and he wants to do the same).

i wouldnt force the issue and if she shows any reluctance, just flip her.

good luck w/ the tethers..i dont know anything about your car. ;(

Mama!

My youngest has such weight fluctuations that I keep a bathroom scale in my kitchen and weigh him once a week or so. He's too young to figure out why I do it, and I just say"Let's stand on the numbers,ok? YAY!"

I've managed to go through a temporary FF phase as he was really heavy, then turn him back RF as he lost weight from illness. He still hasnt gained it back.

At her age, I'd go ahead and weigh her.

southpawboston

dr's scales are notoriously off (look at how much they get used).

yes and no. they are known to be off, but then an industrial-grade scale is designed to get used all day long and remain accurate. in general, they are more accurate than your average consumer-grade scale.

aisraeltax

yes and no. they are known to be off, but then an industrial-grade scale is designed to get used all day long and remain accurate. in general, they are more accurate than your average consumer-grade scale.

certainly not arguing the accuracy of any scale and we dont do WBV's so i dont compare my son's weight on a regular basis but i konw from going to one dr. to another in my last pregnancy that the scales were very different.

i guess if you want complete accuracy, you could buy a new digital scale and use that...im sure they sell industrial-grade scales.

the OP had some significant discrepancies in the weight. *I* would be more comfortable using a scale at home that i knew and was using regularly (not that i do but we do have one) than a dr. scale that, as you said are "known to be off". :)

wendy1221

A home bathroom scale is meant for weighing adults. I wouldn't trust it to accurately weigh a child under 100lbs. A scale that only weighs up to 50lbs would be much more accurate than a regular bathroom scale. THe scales in Dr's offices may be off a little, but for a child under 50lbs, I would trust the doctor's scale, which is meant to weigh children, over a bathroom scale, that is meant to weigh adults. Not all scales are created equal.

amyg530

My youngest has such weight fluctuations that I keep a bathroom scale in my kitchen and weigh him once a week or so. He's too young to figure out why I do it, and I just say"Let's stand on the numbers,ok? YAY!"

yeah, when i was prego i weighed myself everyday, and so did connor, he had/has no concept of what hes doing. i just tell him "lets see what our numbers are" and he knows to stay still till it stops

southpawboston

A home bathroom scale is meant for weighing adults. I wouldn't trust it to accurately weigh a child under 100lbs. A scale that only weighs up to 50lbs would be much more accurate than a regular bathroom scale. THe scales in Dr's offices may be off a little, but for a child under 50lbs, I would trust the doctor's scale, which is meant to weigh children, over a bathroom scale, that is meant to weigh adults. Not all scales are created equal.

this is very true. it's also true in the lab. we have scales that go from 0-100 grams, and 0-1 kg (1000g). if you want to weigh something that's around 50 grams, you don't weigh it on the kg scale, even though it will give you a reading.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC