Twins survive due to carseats

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Wow! This is sad but it gave some good advice about how important carseats are.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------​
For the whole article click here.

http://www.myfoxwghp.com/myfox/MyFo....jsp?contentId=6302472&version=1&locale=EN-US

HIGH POINT, N.C. (WGHP) -- "It would be easy to assume -- based on photos from the scene -- that there were no survivors in the collision between a tractor trailer and minivan Saturday morning. Sheet metal and other debris were scattered across Interstate 85 near Groometown Rd.

But there were two survivors; Two-year-old twins Jayden and Jada Brooks lived, in part, because they were strapped into their car seats.

Last edited:
ADS

wildeyes

omg..... makes me never want to get in a car again. horrible for the family. soooo sad... i'm so glad he understood the importance of carseats tho.. what a way to learn however... i bet he will be super vigilant about carseat safety from now on.

Mommy2Marcus

Oh WOW! My heart really goes out to this family. It makes me even more glad that I am a car seat FREAK! I am right now working on printing out information about 5 points for my MIL & am hoping to get him into a Graco Nautilus this weekend. I am SO glad those two kids were in car seats. It is obvious that is what saved them, as well as their Gardian Angels! That is AMAZING that they lived seeing that van. I am just dumbfounded!

MsFacetious

There is absolutely nothing that is so important that you need to make a u turn on the freeway, or cut across 4 lanes of traffic at the last minute. You just go to the next exit and get back on the freeway.

That is absolutely awful.

It looked like the seats were the Cosco Summit or something really similar.

raelynn

Senior Community Member
I read about that yesterday, how awful. :( Thank God the babies made it, but so sad they will grow up without a mom.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That is absolutely amazing they survived. And it goes to show that a properly used seat - even one that we may not recommend around here very often, ;) is able to protect it's occupants when used properly.

It looked like the seats were the Cosco Summit or something really similar.

I think they were eddie bauer combo seats. I paused the clip to get a good view of the seat. :) I think it was probably the ventura. (5pt guide http://www.carseat.org/Pictorial/3-Five- Point-np.pdf )

The summit has a base on it and the adjustable headrest (not individual harness slots) :thumbsup:

MsFacetious

I think they were eddie bauer combo seats. I paused the clip to get a good view of the seat. :) I think it was probably the ventura. (5pt guide http://www.carseat.org/Pictorial/3-Five- Point-np.pdf )

The summit has a base on it and the adjustable headrest (not individual harness slots) :thumbsup:

I never thought I'd see the day I would disagree with Trudy! :eek:

The Cosco Summit didn't used to have the adjustable headrest. :) I knew 2 people in early 2006 who had them and they looked just like those seats. (Also like the Ventura) I was guessing they might have been passed down from older cousins or siblings or purchased when the babies were born, like so many people do when they buy the infant seat. :) If they are newer then they definitely aren't the Summit. But, definitely Cosco.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I never thought I'd see the day I would disagree with Trudy! :eek:

The Cosco Summit didn't used to have the adjustable headrest. :) I knew 2 people in early 2006 who had them and they looked just like those seats. (Also like the Ventura) I was guessing they might have been passed down from older cousins or siblings or purchased when the babies were born, like so many people do when they buy the infant seat. :) If they are newer then they definitely aren't the Summit. But, definitely Cosco.

I'm not perfect Chelsae. :love:

I didn't realize it didn't always have that adjustable headrest. Then again, Cosco does love to reuse names in a gazillion ways. :rolleyes:

nisi

Senior Community Member
It is possible they recycled the Summit name at some point, but the seat in the video is definitely not the Summit that's been available for the last ~6yrs. The Summit (this one http://www.pbase.com/image/4294019/large.jpg) is a totally different shell than the family of combo seats they sell under a bazillion names (Commuter, Ventura, High Back Booster, etc, these... http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif...nturaDXHighBackBoosterCarSeat22248-large.jpeg) The seat in the video is definitely one of latter. Narrowing it down to a specific model is hopeless with the picture we have, but Trudi's guess of Ventura is as good as any. It's the right "family" of seats for sure.

MsFacetious

That means that the techs in my county gave out 2 more expired seats then. *sigh* If the Summit hasn't looked like that for 6 years... they had already had them for a while before I saw them. Ugh!

Better have those families check the expiration dates, they've got to be way expired by now. :rolleyes:

It is possible they recycled the Summit name at some point, but the seat in the video is definitely not the Summit that's been available for the last ~6yrs. The Summit (this one http://www.pbase.com/image/4294019/large.jpg) is a totally different shell than the family of combo seats they sell under a bazillion names (Commuter, Ventura, High Back Booster, etc, these... http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif...nturaDXHighBackBoosterCarSeat22248-large.jpeg) The seat in the video is definitely one of latter. Narrowing it down to a specific model is hopeless with the picture we have, but Trudi's guess of Ventura is as good as any. It's the right "family" of seats for sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC