Rear-facing on a school bus!

raelynn

Senior Community Member
After trying the Radian and the Evenflo Triumph Advance (neither fit rear-facing on the bus), I tried my Marathon and it fit! I had my DS FF'ing in the Radian for a couple weeks but he hated it (too upright), so I had ordered the EFTA for the comfiness. It arrived yesterday and the tether anchor was too short, and of course it didn't fit rear-facing. So I took the MA out of my van (I hadn't wanted to because it was so expensive - it's my baby LOL). And it fit rear-facing! DS rides RF'ing all the time with me anyhow, but after 2 other seats didn't fit, I had given up on even trying the MA RF'ing.

So I took some pics today. It was our first day RF'ing on the bus and what a great ride - for everyone! Erik was happy and quiet, making my job easier LOL. And the kids in the 2nd row thought it was so neat that they could see him.

erik_marathon01.jpg

erik_marathon02.jpg

erik_marathon03.jpg

erik_marathon04.jpg

erik_marathon05.jpg

erik_marathon06.jpg

erik_marathon07.jpg

erik_marathon08.jpg

And in case anyone was wondering what tethor anchors are like on a bus. On the left side, the one side of the seatbelt is attached to the side of the seat, which is why it's not on the floor like on the right side where you see both
sides of the belt. Please excuse how disgusting the floor is - I've only had this particular bus for a month and I've been meaning to take a toothbrush and some Lysol to it lol.
erik_marathon09.jpg

ADS

Ali

That's great you can take him to work with you! I would love a job where I could take DD with me! He probably absolutely LOVES seeing the kids everyday!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Love the pics! :thumbsup:

Not to be nit-picky, but are the straps above his shoulders? It's hard to tell in pics. :)

raelynn

Senior Community Member
Love the pics! :thumbsup:

Not to be nit-picky, but are the straps above his shoulders? It's hard to tell in pics. :)

They were quite a bit below his shoulders in the van (he was more reclined), but on the bus they are right even with his shoulders. I noticed that too on these pics, that the straps look above, but IRL they were even. I'm going to double-check in the morning though, because these pics have me wondering too.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
They were quite a bit below his shoulders in the van (he was more reclined), but on the bus they are right even with his shoulders. I noticed that too on these pics, that the straps look above, but IRL they were even. I'm going to double-check in the morning though, because these pics have me wondering too.

I kinda figured, but you know I had to ask! :D

raelynn

Senior Community Member
i'm confused.

do you drive a schoolbus? does he go to daycare like that?

I drive a 66-passenger school bus. I take my son with me on my run - it's a great way for me to make decent money, working 3-4 hours a day and not having to put my son in daycare. :)

raelynn

Senior Community Member
oh, how cool is that!!! elementary school?

i agree, he's officially THE safest kid on the road!

I drive a combined elementary/junior high run (2 schools - but there are only 5 JH kids). The younger kids on the bus just adore the baby and have all asked why he is riding backwards. So they got a mini-lesson on why rear-facing is safest. :thumbsup:

Mommy2Marcus

That is SO cool! I have never seen a School Bus with seat eblts on it before! I would LOVE a job like that, but I am not so sure I could drive one of those monsters! I think it is WAY cool that you can install your CS RF on the bus. Just curious though, you said the Triumph was to big? That would make me sad to! YAY for finding a way to make him as safe as possible!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
That is so cool!!!

K1 school bus this year had lapbelts in all positions. From what I am aware none of the kids used them anyways.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
how do you go about getting liscensed??

That's something I would not mind doing.

I'm not sure what it's like in other areas, but here there is a huge shortage of drivers. Provided you stay with the company an agreed amount of time, the company pays for all the training, the road test/relicensing fees, and anything else related to the requirements. (Seems to me there was a propane certificate as well.)

(Raelynn and I are IRL friends ;))

Simplysomething

how do you go about getting liscensed??

That's something I would not mind doing.

Nearly all of the school systems in Hampton Roads beg for school bus drivers starting right about now, or in the next few weeks. If you really want to do it, watch for commercials, newspaper ads and your local school systems cable channel.

They usually advertise that they are willing to train, even for sub drivers.

Seriously. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC