Cleaning Marathon Cover???

SPJ&E

Yesterday, my son threw up in the car...it was awful! I felt so sorry for him...he was covered in it and just felt terrible! Must have been some sort of virus...he couldn't keep anything down and wouldn't drink anything either. Finally last night, he ate some biscuit and mashed potatoes and drank some LiquiLytes (like Pedialyte) and kept that down. He is STILL sleeping (it's 12:22 pm), so I don't know if he's going to do okay today or not, but hopefully it was just a little "bug" and he'll be fine today.

Anyway, when he threw up, it got all over one of the strap covers, one side of the harness, and a little on the carseat cover. I wiped it really with a paper towel and with a baby wipe, but it still smells awful. I would really like to avoid taking the whole cover off to wash it, since not much got on it.

What should/can I use to clean the cover and harness strap with that will take out the smell?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm a big fan of Nature's Miracle...it's a gentle enzyme in a little alcohol water that 'eats' the...er...bodily fluids of all types... lol. I wonder if going to the pet store to buy it is easier than washing the cover, though! Or vinegar diluted and use a clean towel to wipe wipe wipe your straps and cover might do the trick. Usually vomit calls for a full removal, gentle washing (says hand wash, but most of us use the gentle cycle with a drop of detergent and then hang to dry), good dry in the sunshine, though :p

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Ditto Julie on removing the cover & washing in the machine ... plain soapy wet washcloth & vinegar for the straps -- I've also found that a few droplets of peppermint essential oil is excellent for masking any remaining smell ;)

Last edited:

nisi

Senior Community Member
I've found that it is pretty easy to get dd's WZ cover off and on without removing the seat. Of course, hers is rf, but I think you could do it ff too if you removed the harness from the bottom instead of the back. Not sure though since I never tried it.

What works best for getting nasty smells out for me is letting it hang out on the porch on a sunny breezy day. Really, I've had better luck with plain ol' fresh air and sunshine than any chemical, enzyme, etc. product.

If hanging it outside isn't possible, then OxyClean works well. Use the hottest water you can stand and dissolve as much OxyClean as you can in the water. Use the solution to wash the cover, then rinse well and let it dry. It worked great for getting vomit smell out of my carpet a few weeks ago. (Can't hang that outside LOL!)

Of course, manufacturers are pretty picky about what you can wash the straps with, so you might want to check with Britax before trying this with the straps. If nothing else, a new set of straps isn't too expensive. Around $12 I think?

Good luck.

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
nisi said:
Really, I've had better luck with plain ol' fresh air and sunshine than any chemical, enzyme, etc. product.
So true! I like sprinkling Baking Soda on the fabric then, but I didn't even think of this now that there's so much snow outside my window :p

I

In The Woods

Totally Toddler spray has worked for us on multiple vomit episodes. (Windy mountain roads and a kid who's just eaten = bad combination.)

It's a laundry pre-treat spray and you can use it on carpets and upholstery, too. Has enzymes that eat the odor and leave a fresh scent. I keep a small travel-size bottle of it in the car with a washcloth, because you never know when you'll need it.

KMart sells it. Our TRU used to; some might still.

Nothing like driving and hearing that awful sound of a kid about to throw up and knowing you can't get back there soon enough to help 'em out -- of the car before it goes all over!

Hope you're little one's feeling better.

Kristin

I

In The Woods

...hope *your* little one's feeling better...

Holiday-stress induced grammar flub.

Kristin

SPJ&E

Thanks everyone! He is feeling better now. He didn't throw up anymore after those 2 times and just felt bad yesterday. He seems to be feeling a lot better this morning though...he was full of himself when he woke up, so that's a good sign.

I haven't had a chance to go out and clean the cover yet...with him being sick, daddy just won't do, lol, he must have mommy.

skaterbabs

Another trick for drying: do a second spin cycle (still on gentle!) It helps get just a little more water out so the cover will dry faster.
That makes a lot of difference when you only have one cover, or don't have a spare seat. lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC