Help please! What to buy after RA?

BeBo's Mama

First, I would just like to thank everyone who posts here with such helpful and thoughtful replies. I have been lurking for a while and have posted once as an unregistered guest and I have learned a lot!!

Here is my dilemma. Before I knew very much about car seat limits and RF as long as possible, we bought 2 RA for our son. We have been happy with them in our 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon and 2000 Mazda Protege.

Now, however, DS is only 15 months and looks like he will soon outgrow the RA RF. He is almost 30" and about 21 lbs. So, pretty skinny, and about average height, I guess.

Any suggestions about what to buy next if we want to keep him rearfacing (of course I am kicking myself for not asking this question much earlier)? A MA, perhaps? Or, one MA for longer trips and one cheaper seat for the car we use less often?

We would likely keep using the RA for air travel (1 or 2x year to my parents'), but I am hoping that the next seats I buy would be the last seats for this kiddo. Do you think this is possible? How many more months do you think I could get RF out of a MA or similar seat (or would the benefit be higher FF limits than the RA)?

As you might be able to tell, I'm a little confused. The more I read, the more murky it gets. All I know is that I don't want to spend hundreds more dollars on seats that aren't really appropriate in my situation.

Thanks so much for any help!

Catriona

ADS

Loves2sing

If you are from Canada, then you are going to be having to turn him FF when he hits 30lbs regardless of the seat he is in. All of our seat in Canada have a RF limit of 30lbs. So it looks like you won't be needing a new seat if you are up here. (The only reason I am assuming this is because you posted in the international forum.)

skaterbabs

I think she said he's 30 inches and 21 pounds, in which case he has TONS of rear facing time in a tall seat like the Triumph Advance, the Radian or the Marathon. I'm not familiar with other seats available in Canada though.

BeBo's Mama

Oh yes, I should have clarified: we are in Canada (and yes, DS is 21 lbs but about 30 inches).
I take it the Triumph Advance is the EFTA that people have mentioned.
If so, this seems like a good bet, I guess, because with the MA we would only have 2 more inches of growth room (not sure about the Radian) RF. With the EFTA, there is more potential for RF height growth, correct??

Does my logic make sense: that given prices and RF limits, the EFTA is the way to go for us? I am assuming that the EFTA is just as user-friendly as the other seats?

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Loves2sing

I am so sorry! Obviously I read that wrong (about weight)

I own both the Radian and the Marathon, and you would have more RF room in the Radian than the marathon, although it also takes up more room in the vehicle rfing than the marathon does. The EFTA is also a great seat to choose from, but you can't tether it when rfing like you can with both the Radian and the marathon.

What vehicle do you drive? I have had my Marathon and my Radian RFing in my 2003 Ford Focus, but I had to put the Radian behind the drivers seat so that my dh would still have room to sit in the passanger side. I was able to have the marathon rfing in any of the 3 positions. I believe the EFTA size looks pretty close to the ma.

BeBo's Mama

Oh, now i'm more undecided!! We have a MAzda Protege and a Subaru Legacy Wagon. . . .
Ease of use is a biggie for us, along with increased time rearfacing. We are aiming for at least 2 years rearfacing if possible . . . .

Why oh why did I get a RA first???? I wouldn't even be asking such questions if I had bit the bullet and gotten two MAs to begin with . . .

Loves2sing

My bff is a tech, and her dh drives a Mazda Speed 3, which is the newer version of the protege, I'll ask her if she was able to RF the radian in it for her ds. I wouldn't worry too much about the legacy. If either you or dh is short, then you would be able to use the seat behind the shorter person in that vehicle. As far as worrying about the length of RF room, you probably will have the kiddo rfing to the weight limits in both seats. (which is 30 lbs.) I doubt that you would have to worry about the height limits that way. However, the Radian has taller slots for FF and will help you to keep your kid harnessed longer. I'll call my friend and ask her about her rf experiences in her Mazda.

BudgieStew

I was able to get our RF Marathon in DH's 99 Legacy Outback (lap\shoulder belt on passenger side) installed well. I was very happy with it.

I have not tried our Radian in it RF though. But I can tell you I am having a very hard time getting it installed FF. Right now it is at the garage so I will give it another go once it gets back.

Loves2sing

Okay, I just spoke to her and she said if you want to RF the Radian in the protege, the passanger seat needs to be all the way up. She even directed me to a picture.
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=216151&postcount=10
And this is in a protege.

So there you have it. I think you should get the marathon, as you will have just as much time to RF in it, most kids out grow RF in the marathon by weight, not height. So you would have the same room as you would with a radian anyway. It just wouldn't last as long for FF. (again depending on kiddo. If you have a short stocky kid, it is possible that your son would outgrow both seats by weight before height) Both seats have a FF weight limit of 65lbs. Which is the highest weight limit available on the Canadian market.

I have found a picture with her ma RF in the speed3, but I need to figure out how to link it. I will do that asap!
I have figured it out! Here it is:
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=364343&postcount=9

Last edited:

BeBo's Mama

Thanks so much for the information and advice, esp Jenna's Mommy and Jewels!

Weighing all this new information, I think we will pretty well have to go with Marathons UNLESS I can find an EFTA in the next little while (I thought I found one at Sears yesterday -- they had one on display and it was on sale, and the clerk said she was sure they were in stock. Then she checked and came back and told me that they didn't have any).

In terms of height, there is about 1.5" from top of the head to top of shell (measuring as the link indicated --- thanks for that!). I will get my DH to double check my measurements, but it doesn't look like we have that much room to grow (my son appears to be quite long torsoed).

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help. Now off to look for deals on MAs!!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If he's got 1.5" of room, then there is room for half an inch of torso growth. Their legs grow too, so this isn't the same as a half inch of overall growth (it will very likely be greater than a half inch of overall growth). So, I think you likely have time to wait for the True Fit which will hopefully arrive in just under a month. That way you could compare the Marathon, True Fit, and EFTA.

BeBo's Mama

Oh, good point about the growth. I didn't think of it that way. In any case, at least I know that I can get a Marathon locally any day of the week if we need it in a pinch. Otherwise, I will monitor height and the availability of the other seats in the meantime! :thumbsup: Thanks :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC