A confession....

veggiegirl228

I have a confession to make. I've been thinking of turning DD around. She is 30.5 lbs dressed and it's getting harder to get her into the carseat. Her history is about 1 lb a month so at this rate by the end of summer she'll met the RF weight limit of her EFTA. She'll be 2 next month. I'm holding out as long as I can FWIW.

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
OMG!!! The world is coming to an end because you want to turn your 2 year old who weighs 30 lbs! How dare you risk her safety like that?????

J/K

Seriously. She's nearly 2. Turn her on her birthday, and feel blessed that you were "smart" enough to keep her RFing til 2.

:love:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'll admit it, it's SO much easier to keep a kid RF when you have a very low profile seat in a big minivan... I could keep Leah happily RF till 5ish in my van, in a Radian..but in a car with smaller doors, more upright seatbacks, deeper convertible seat?...uh...well, she's alread been FF for a few months in dh's car... :eek: (same with my first dd...it was a breeze in the Marathon in the Minivan, but in the Echo/Prius? Forget it, I HAD to turn her much earlier, it was trying to re-pack sardines in the little can!)

Just top tether the seat when it's forward facing (do you have anchors? they can be added to your car if not) and don't worry :thumbsup:

scatterbunny

It's super-easy! :thumbsup: I installed my own anchors in a 91 Accord. Two kits cost me about $20 from an online parts store, installation was less than 15 minutes. :D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you can see the little plastic caps in the package shelf, it's super easy to install them. If you have speakers up there and can't see any little plastic circles, then it'll be harder (plastic caps pop out, anchor screws in...if you have speakers, it may be more involved). Call the dealer, and if they are confused about what a child seat tether anchor is, try calling it a 'plate assembly'. (my LATCH book is across the room, but it has the part numbers in it...in fact I bet they are easy to search for here, we post them all the time, all Hondas are the same, lol).
:)

scatterbunny

LOL, my LATCH book is in the car, and I'm too lazy to go get it. :p I forgot about the speaker issue, too. I remember that being a problem with some Toyota Camry models.

southpawboston

OMG!!! The world is coming to an end because you want to turn your 2 year old who weighs 30 lbs! How dare you risk her safety like that?????

J/K

Seriously. She's nearly 2. Turn her on her birthday, and feel blessed that you were "smart" enough to keep her RFing til 2.

:love:

seriously, i second that! i can already say (without any guilt) that we will be turning DD2 at about her second birthday (she's already 27-28 lbs).

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I have a confession to make. I've been thinking of turning DD around. She is 30.5 lbs dressed and it's getting harder to get her into the carseat. Her history is about 1 lb a month so at this rate by the end of summer she'll met the RF weight limit of her EFTA. She'll be 2 next month. I'm holding out as long as I can FWIW.

Great job keeping her RF this long, really! :thumbsup:

If you DO want to try to keep her RF a little longer, try teaching her how to climb into her seat. My DD has been climbing into the car and into her seat completely on her own for several months. ("I do it mySELF, Mommy!") Makes it much easier for me to get her in the seat.

mommyto4kiddos

Senior Community Member
I'd say don't flip her until you get the tethers installed. You can get them done free at chevy dealerships and buick too, but they were kinda rude to me.

veggiegirl228

I called Honda and at first the guy had no idea what I was talking about (plate assembly) and then comes back and says it's 13.43 plus 1/2 hr to install (43 some dollars) I didn't see the plastic caps so would it be worth having Honda do it? Does anybody know what the weight limit is for my car. I looked in the owner's book and didn't see anything regarding this.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you can afford that, I'd do it, it'll just be a lot easier that way. There's maybe a legal limit (Honda's nervous lawyers), but you should always use a top tether...there's no case of them ever failing at any weight, and heavier kids need them even more than light kids to prevent excessive head excursion.

mimieliza

Good for you! :thumbsup:

I've already given myself permission to turn DD at two years and 30 lbs... I have a 33 lb. seat, and I don't want to have to worry about monitoring those last few pounds.

veggiegirl228

How do you install the anchor? I looked in the book and nothing. Also how can I tell when looking in the trunk where the it's already setup? If DH can do it that will be worth it, I hate going to the dealer, but will if necessary.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How do you install the anchor? I looked in the book and nothing. Also how can I tell when looking in the trunk where the it's already setup? If DH can do it that will be worth it, I hate going to the dealer, but will if necessary.

If you look up under the package shelf in the trunk, you might see three identical reinforced 'weld nuts' behind each seating position...you might be able to poke up through them with a pencil and it might push carpet up, and then you could just cut some of the carpet out and screw the part in....

veggiegirl228

Thanks Jools, I'm going to check that out. Hopefully the speaker won't be an issue but since she's in the ctr shouldn't be right now!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC