Marathon and infant

U

Unregistered

Is there anyway that young infants can fit in a Marathon? I know they claim that 5 lb babies can fit but my 14 lb 2.5 month old infant is still below the lowest harness height slot. His, ds2, infant seat is causing problems with him and I need to move him out. It is more practical for me to move him into his brother's, ds 1, Marathon and buy his brother a Husky than it is to buy ds2 a new seat and then have to buy yet another seat for ds2 when he outgrows the marathon. Make sense? So I'm wondering when he'll ever be able to fit in the Marathon.

Also, I think I just read on a board somewhere that the extra things on the harness straps are necessary for the Marathon. Well my dd chewed those off rubber things years ago and I got the impression from the manual that they were not necessary just helpful. And the pad things I also thought were optional and had heard that adding things to the straps was bad so I took them off. Sorry, I don't remember the names for these parts. So do I need to get these parts back on? What is the purpose of them?

Tara

ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
here is a link to a site with photos of a five pound infant in several infant seats and a wizard and a roundabout. Someone may need to correct me here but i think the marathon has the same harness slots as the wizard. Then later when the baby is almost 4 months old in a marathon http://strollerfreak.itgo.com/carseats/5lbnewborn.html

The 'rubber bits' that your son chewed off is called the hugs system. It is required when the seat is used in forward facing mode and optional in rear facing mode (but better to use it that not). This is stated in the manual in the harness section. You need to call britax USA and get a replacement asap. The pads are to help prevent harness burn. the seats are tested with them and are safe because the manufacturer designed them to work with the seat. They are not fluffy enough to compress in a crash and allow the child to be ejected.

How old are your children? What are their weight and heights? What are seats are the currently in and what kind of car do you drive?

And just out of curiosity What infant seat are you having problems with and what kind of problems? I always like my DN infant seat.

ETA: the child being below the harness slots on a rearfacing seat is ok therefor your 2nd son fits in the seat and so will your infant.

j4m4d8

Yes, you will need to order new HUGS pads (the ones your older son chewed on); you can call Britax at 1-888-427-4829. The comfort pads are OK to use if you need them, but they aren't necessary like the HUGS pads are when forward-facing. While you have them on the phone you can ask if it's OK to use the Marathon with your younger son.

U

Unregistered

My dd is 5, almost 6. She is in a Bodyguard, she's 43 lb and about 43". While it fits after learning more we are replacing it right now with a Husky. I've worried about her since day one in it.

Ds1 is in a Marathon FF. He is 3.5 yo, 33lbs and I have no idea how tall. He still has at least an inch before he reaches the top height for the shoulder harness.

Ds2 is in a Graco SnugRide. It is causing problems with fusiness after he's been in it awhile. I have to take him into the chiro afterwards to get him straightened back out. If he is sitting up and not slumped down the shoulder harness on the marathon in the lowest setting is right at the top of his shoulders. Is this safe? The pictures in the link posted showed infants in seats like that, I just always thought that wasn't safe.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Remember that the harness straps need to be very tight to keep your kiddo safe in a crash - you should only be able to fit 1 (or maybe 2?) finger between the harness strap & your child's collar bone ... I'm guessing that perhaps the straps were loose for your daughter to be able to chew on the HUGS :confused:

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
papooses said:
Remember that the harness straps need to be very tight to keep your kiddo safe in a crash - you should only be able to fit 1 (or maybe 2?) finger between the harness strap & your child's collar bone ... I'm guessing that perhaps the straps were loose for your daughter to be able to chew on the HUGS :confused:

i considered that too but i thought maybe it was when she was very young and could get at it easier

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Possibly - my kiddo was 2 before we finally discovered Britax ... she couldn't chew on the HUGS but she sure could reach the lever to loosen the harness :eek: Luckilly she's pretty easy going so just telling her to pull the strap to make it tighter instead worked for us :rolleyes: :cool:

U

Unregistered

I keep the harness straps tight. My kids usually complain, "too tight, too tight" I tell them I'm sorry but it has to be. She is a very oral kid and loves chewing on rubbery stuff and foam. Strange. I am contacting Britax about replacements.

U

Unregistered

The first "hugs" that came out had point bits on the ends. Huge mistake and choking hazard. My dd chewed them too. I complained to britax, and they said I could just cut them off. Soon afterward, they removed the pointy bits from the design. If your child just chewed of the pointed ends, they are still safe, but Britax will send you some new ones if you call.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If he is sitting up and not slumped down the shoulder harness on the marathon in the lowest setting is right at the top of his shoulders. Is this safe? The pictures in the link posted showed infants in seats like that, I just always thought that wasn't safe>>>

It's ok for a very small baby to be below the bottom slots. The lap straps will hold him down if there's a crash, his head is a LONG way from ramping out of the seat if there's a crash, and Britax *used to* always recommend slots being above the shoulders, but changed their recommendation to 'be like everyone else' which included 3 point infant seats and overhead shield seats, neither of which have the security of the lapstraps to hold the kid in place in a crash...you can see how 'at or below' is much more important when the shoulder straps are ALL there is to hold that kid down!

I'm sure he'll be much more comfortable in the RA, too!

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC