pros and cons of MA, BV, DC?

U

Unregistered

I had thought I'd just buy a MA but now I'm wondering if the BV or DC are a lot better/different. What are your thoughts? I know I can get the MA cheaper but if the others are much better then I will consider getting them.

Thanks
Bekah

ADS

MOM25BOYS

Hi and Welcome. They are all great choices for seats.:thumbsup: The only difference if I am correct, if not someone please help:D, is the front adjuster. All 3 seats are pretty much MA shells. The DC and BV come with infant padding that the MA doesn't. I own the MA and DC, but prefer the MA simply because it is easier to adjust the straps with the front adjuster. If you need all the infant padding you could go with the DC or BV, but if not I would stick with a MA. If you purchase a new one you might could luck up and get a new 35lb weight limit one!:D HTH

U

Unregistered

I'm getting it for a 17 lb 6.5 month old who is 27 inches long. She has tried out her brothers EFTA (if I'm using the correct lingo) and needed no extra padding. She'll be rear-facing of course. What's the new weight limit info? I thought it was always 35 lbs rear-facing?

Bekah

MOM25BOYS

No, the MA's just until recently only rf to 33lbs. The newer ones that came out in Feb. have a new 35lb rf limit on them. You have to be carefully though as many stores are trying to sell off the older MA's before restocking the new 35lb ones. You need to read the box carefully and look for the new limit. I believe they also changed the color of the writing on the MA box also. The new EFTA is 35lbs also. I don't believe that Britax has started producing new DC and BV in the 35lb limit, but I am sure someone else can correct me if I am wrong.:) HTH

aisraeltax

ive had a MA and BV (this means Boulevard right?? just checking). I like the BV b/c of the SIP of the head wings that the MA doesnt have. I also like that there are many more options for the strap adjustments for the Blvd (w/ the knob you can turn). I find the installation for both to be comparable.

im not sure what the DC is so i cant give an opinion about those at all.

the BV. also goes to 35 RF but like the MA., only since Feb. 08 so be careful when purchasing or you could end up with a 33 lb. RF'ing.

miraclebabies

I have both a MA and DC, I love the MA more cause it is easier to use. I like the leaver lift strap adjuster more than the DC push button. They are both easy to install and use. The DC has 3 different crotch strap spots compared to the MA. I did like the DC infant inserts more when my DD was little. We bought the carseat when she was just 5 months old and she fit really well with the extra padding, she is very long and skinny. I had the MA before she was born and started using it about the same time. She is 14 mon., 19# and 32 in long., I still have her RF cause she is such a little peanut. I don't like the BV and would never buy one cause I think the SIP wings would get in the way. She has to tilt her head forward to see out the window in her MA and DC so I don't think she would like it. I didn't want to spend the extra money, when I set her in it before buying my DC she cried. I also don't like the twist adjuster, it just seems silly. If I had it to do all over again I would buy 2 MA instead of the DC. I am looking forward to using them for many years to come and then my DD is moving to the Regent when she outgrows the MA. It is by far the safest seat out there and I have never had a problem getting a rock solid install in different vehicles. Also at 14mon. she is still on the 1st slot of harness, so she has alot of room to grow.

aisraeltax

I don't like the BV and would never buy one cause I think the SIP wings would get in the way.

some kids do mind it but some dont (my son isnt bothered by it at all and went straight from a MA to a BV. My son is 27 months and approx. 32 lbs. right now (just made it in his older BV and we now have a 35 RF'ing BV.).

I also don't like the twist adjuster, it just seems silly.

see, i love this feature. i find it so much easier than the MA.

It (the MA) is by far the safest seat out there..

I dont think this is true. I don't want to debate the safety of the MA vs. Blvd. but the MA doesnt have the SIP....even if in one's opinion that doesnt make the BV safer (which i disagree w/ but again, its a matter of opinion not fact)...that doesnt make the MA the safest seat out there.

Just trying to add another perspective on some of the criticisms of the BV. I originally purchased a MA, then a BV and due to an accident, had to buy a 3d seat to replace the MA....I ended up with another BV.

if you do a search on this board, you will find a few threads (at least a few since ive been here) on BV vs. MA.

miraclebabies

I was not saying that the MA is safer than the DC or the Bv, I was saying that it ( Britax) is the safest carseat out there. In my opinion. I would not buy any other carseat for my DD. Sorry if that was confusing, I should have worded it different.

some kids do mind it but some dont (my son isnt bothered by it at all and went straight from a MA to a BV. My son is 27 months and approx. 32 lbs. right now (just made it in his older BV and we now have a 35 RF'ing BV.).

see, i love this feature. i find it so much easier than the MA.

I dont think this is true. I don't want to debate the safety of the MA vs. Blvd. but the MA doesnt have the SIP....even if in one's opinion that doesnt make the BV safer (which i disagree w/ but again, its a matter of opinion not fact)...that doesnt make the MA the safest seat out there.

Just trying to add another perspective on some of the criticisms of the BV. I originally purchased a MA, then a BV and due to an accident, had to buy a 3d seat to replace the MA....I ended up with another BV.

if you do a search on this board, you will find a few threads (at least a few since ive been here) on BV vs. MA.

brooklynsmommy

Every car seat is SAFE when correctly used. The reason that people consider Britax seats to be SAFEr is because they are easier to use. If it's easier to use correctly, its more likely to be used correctly. The differences are as follows.

The marathon and boulevard only have one crotch setting. The decathlon has 3.

The marathon and boulevard both have metal bars on the side that the LATCH connectors attach to. The decathlon does not. It just has the strap threaded though the belt path on the back.

The adjusters to tighten the marathon and boulevard are a ratchet type (pull release, pull release) to tighten. You lift a leaver to loosen. The decathlon is smooth. It's a push button release.

The marathon doesn't have any extra padding inserts. The decathlon has a pillow and an infant insert. The boulevard has the infant insert as well.

As far as the straps go, the marathon and decathlon have the 4 height strap settings. The boulevard has in infinite (you never have to re thread it) height option.

The boulevard also has the SIP wings.

They kind of go from your basic marathon to the decathlon with extra inserts, to the boulevard which has it all. They are all on the same (roughly) shell though.

I grabbed these off the internet to kinda show you.
MARATHON
marathon1.jpg

DECATHLON
decathlon.jpg

BOULEVARD
boulevard.jpg

Last edited:

bekah

That is so helpful! Thank you!

For the "infinite" height straps are they similar to the EFTA straps? That is our current convertible car seat.

brooklynsmommy

No, you turn the wheel that you see at the top left (its on both sides) of the seat. Those move the wings up and down. The harness is threaded though the plastic that the wings are attached to. So when you turn the nob, the straps move up and down as well. Pretty easy actually. I just bought two of them yesterday and really like them so far.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC