Help me pick a new carseat!

Chex

My husband just bought a 2006 Honda Civic. Right now it has my 2 older kids' boosters in there. We went on a date tonight (we still take the baby) and he wanted to go in that (much better gas mileage than our Odyssey). So I had to move DD3's BLVD over. It was a pain. So I told him that I love going on dates in the little car, but that for it to work, I want to get a new convertible for DD3 so that I don't have to uninstall and reinstall her seat 4 times every time we want to go out. He agreed, as long as it wasn't another $200+ carseat.

I would really like it to fit inbetween the 2 boosters we leave in that car for the big kids. There's a Vivo and a Parkway. Do you think there's a convertible that will fit 3-across in that situation?

So far I'm thinking an Uptown or a Radian 65. I don't like the lack of EPS foam in the Scenera, otherwise I'd get the pink one of those (they're cute!). What else should I be considering?

-Ann

ADS

mcomommy

Compass/Learning Curve True-Fit & Evenflo Triumph Advance

The Uptown only goes to 40 FF IIRC so I would go with one of the ones above or the Radian 65 to stay under 200

And I think of the two I mentioned the EFTA would work better in a three across because it has a base. You should try them out if you can, the Radian is the skinniest though so you may need to go with that :)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think either the Uptown or the Radian would fit your needs. The Radian's going to last the longest and make for the easiest buckling for the boosters on either side, though.

I don't think the EFTA would be a good choice; the knobs for tightening the harness would probably get in the way of buckling the boosters.

Chex

Do you think the Uptown's skinny enough? This is going to be a "second" carseat, so it would be nice to not have to spend $200 on another Radian. And she's only 7 months old, so she should be able to RF in it until she outgrows it, and by then she will probably go in one of the Radians handed down from her brother or sister.

I really don't think the EFTA or True-Fit will work. They seem much too wide to work in a 3-across situation. If anybody's had it work in a compact car with either of those seats, let me know!

It's looking like I may go with the Uptown if it's skinny enough.

Debbie, I know you're the Radian expert. Have you ever seen an Uptown? I've never seen one IRL, so I can't exactly compare it to the width of the Radian.

-Ann

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
LOL "Radian expert!" Sure, I'll take that title, why not? Someone wanna fight me for it? :fencing: :D

I've seen the Uptown, but not installed one, and therefore I don't remember the size very well. Here's a question - when you put the Blvd in there, can you still fit the boosters? Because I don't think the Uptown is wider than the Blvd.

Chex

Thanks, Debbie! I'm glad you like the new title I gave you!;)

I meant to check that before I took it out of the car, but I was in a hurry this morning and taking all the kids w/me, so I had to just hurry and put it back in the van. I'll have to see if it'll fit. If it does, I guess we'll be good-to-go with an Uptown.

Unless anyone can find me a screaming deal on a Radian! :thumbsup:

-Ann

jka1217

I have a Radian and Uptown installed in my car. This isn't the best picture, but it gives an idea. I'd say they are comparable in width in the upper part of the seat, but the lower part that sits on the vehicle seat, the Radian is narrower. Also, the Uptown sits up a little higher than a Radian.

I measure about 17" wide for the Uptown.

DSCN1447.jpg

DSCN1448.jpg

If you need some other pictures of the two, let me know.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I currently have a FF Scenera and a FF (obviously) Parkway in my 2006 Civic. There is still space on the other side of the Scenera (it is in the center) for another narrow seat or booster.

In the past, I have had FF Radian, RF Boulevard, FF Radian without a problem.

In the morning, I will try to get you some photos so you can see how a three-across would work in this car. :)

Chex

Jenny,

Thanks for the pics! That's great! So can you put kids on any harness height rf-ing on both seats? Or are there slot limits on either of them? (Like on the True-Fit). I have a Radian, so I can just go look at the rules in the manual (I haven't used them rf-ing yet), but I've never seen an Uptown IRL, so I don't know what the rules are on it.

Patriot,

With the Scenera in the middle, does the dc in the booster have a hard time buckling? Is there any part of the Scenera in the way of buckling the booster? Do you think there would be anything in the way if it were rf-ing?
I'm glad to know I can do some sort of 3-across in this car!

Thanks for all your help!

-Ann

jka1217

Jenny,

Thanks for the pics! That's great! So can you put kids on any harness height rf-ing on both seats? Or are there slot limits on either of them? (Like on the True-Fit). I have a Radian, so I can just go look at the rules in the manual (I haven't used them rf-ing yet), but I've never seen an Uptown IRL, so I don't know what the rules are on it.

For the Uptown, it looks like there are no restrictions for the harness location for RF, just that it has to be at or below the shoulders. There is a restriction for the crotch strap, it can only be in the first 2 positions (closest to the child) for RF, I think because the seat belt/LATCH strap will cover the outer position when installed.

For the Radian, I think any of the slots can be used for RF, but if you are FF, the upper three slots are the only ones that can be used. At least that's how it seems when I read it.

My DD is 17 months and in both seats we use the third from the bottom slots.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC