Nautilus install--twisty shoulder belt in Sienna van

kphil

I just tried installing the Nautilus in my '05 LE8 Sienna, in the middle seat of the middle row. It fit nicely, and I can see that it will work between our Regent and rf Blvd. The shoulder belt on that seat is harder to work with, because it comes out of the top of the seat back, so the back of the Nautilus is pressing against the shoulder belt as I'm trying to get the slack out of it. I'm unable to get the shoulder belt to lie flat through the belt path. It's bunched up both on the buckle side, where it exits the belt path, and then again I can feel behind the seat that it's bunched (actually feels folded over a bit) behind the seat, just after it turns the corner after entering the belt path. That could be the angle it's coming from the seat back causing that part, but that wouldn't make a difference for how it is bunched coming out of the belt path. Is that okay?

I'm half-worried I have the wrong belt path--it's just the gray plastic shell, right, like where it would be on a Britax, isn't it? There aren't any visual guides for the seat belt path (in harness mode), are there? I've read the manual, and I'm pretty certain I have it right, I just don't like the way the belt is going. The seat isn't as rock solid as I usually get my seats. There is definitely some movement, though it's within the 1" limits. (I haven't tethered it yet, as I like to get a seat completely solid before doing the tether.) Any tips for getting it better? I would put it in an outboard position, except ever since the Regent LBP/SBP advisory, I'm only able to have the Regent outboard. I can't get it installed SBP in the middle seat.

Also, I read somewhere here that the headrest should be even with the shoulder slots I'm using. I can't find that anywhere in the manual, though. The headrest is higher on the sides than the middle--should the middle be even with the slots, or the sides? I'm having trouble figuring out which position would be the one even with the harness.

TIA!
Kirsten

ADS

TerisBoys

As far as the headrest goes...it will lock in in certain spots. The center portion of the headrest ends up just above the strap openings when it's right. The center portion may NOT overlap the harness, but it is ok per Graco for the headrest to be above the child's shoulders in harness mode.

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Sorry I just bumped your post instead of responding the other day - I was too sick to think straight, but I wanted to reply so I hoped someone else would have answers for you.

First, you're correct that you want to get it properly and tightly installed before attaching the top tether. The top tether is a supplemental restraint - it's important, but it doesn't make up for an improper seatbelt or lower anchor install. :thumbsup:

About the belt path - I can't think of anything else you could have mistaken for the belt path. Like you said, it's pretty straight-forward. If you could take a picture, though, that would help. :)

Now, about the shoulder belt. Is it a locking retractor? (You pull the seat belt all the way out, and it locks?) From the sound of it, it sounds like you're locking the seat belt before you tighten the seat belt. You might have better luck if you tighten the seat belt first and then lock the retractor.

Keep in mind that it is the lap portion of the seat belt that a carseat is installed with. So when you're installing the carseat, you want to focus on getting the lap-portion of the belt tight. Buckle the seat belt through the belt path, then tighten by pulling on the shoulder portion near the latchplate (the male end of the buckle). You may need to pull the carseat cover off so that you can reach through the belt path from the front of the carseat. Does that make sense? Get it as tight as you can that way, then hold it there with one hand while you pull the seat belt all the way out and lock it.

Try that first. If you've already done that, or it doesn't help, there's another thing you can do, but you'll want to get a partner. Do everything above the same way, but after it's locked and as tight as you can get it, pinch the seat belt at the latchplate and unbuckle it. Hold it firmly while your partner feeds the seat belt into the retractor one more "click." Then have your partner compress the carseat while you re-buckle. This may take a LOT of compressing (my partner has to bounce!) Once it's re-buckled, though, it'll be nice & tightly installed. Just a note - this is likely an issue with the seat belt, not the Nautilus. They're just a royal pain when they come out of the ceiling like that!

kphil

Thanks Debbie, I think your last trick would be really useful in this situation. That retractor (it's actually on the seat back itself, not the ceiling) just doesn't do a good job retracting. I'll also make sure that I'm getting it tight before locking the seatbelt (it is a locking retractor).

I couldn't get pics of the twisty belt because now I have the other seats installed next to it, so you can't see the belt. I still have questions about the headrest, and just took pics, but will post those in a new thread with a different subject line. Thanks!

Kirsten

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC