Britax lockoffs

KeikiHula

I have had problems with the RF'ing lockoffs on our Wizard in just about every car I've installed it in. The seatbelt always rides a little too far forward and just a tiny bit at the wrong angle and bunches up right at the little clip part (does that make sence???) so the lockoff won't close. If I wiggle it just right and leave it a fuzz looser than I really like, I can get the lockoff closed. FF'ing, the lockoffs rock, but RF'ing just gives me fits. I am so nervous and not looking forward to turning Cody FF'ing, but I also keep thinking how much easier it will be to install his seat.
I turned Morgan FF'ing at 20 pounds, so I never really had to mess with installing a convertable seat RF'ing. Before the Wizard, Cody was in a FPSE (hand me down from Morgan) and I liked that style of lockoff much better. I really prefer the Wizard over the FPSE though, so I am hoping someone has some cool tip to give me to get it to lock easier. And yes, I do need the lockoffs. The locking part of the seatbelt in my Durango doesn't hold the seatbelt tight.

ADS
M

Mori

I noticed that too. I tried all 3 positions in my car, too, and the belt angle wasn't quite what it seemed it should be on any of them. Maybe stuffing something under the base (I think the manual suggests a rolled towel?) would fix it. I thought it was just because my car is getting old and didn't even consider it could have been the seat! I was still able to get the belt tight without any lockoffs, though. I'm going to watch this thread and see if you do get some tips. I'd still like the belt to be flatter.

U

Unregistered

I have the same problem! I thought it was the fit between my car's seatbelt and the carseat. I finally got it in but it was very difficult to get a nice click of the lock off. Not sure I could do it again it was so tough.
C.

j4m4d8

Holly,
Try not to worry too much, the lockoffs are only to hold the car seat in place before an accident. I'm not sure from your description if it is the same problem I had but I found the suggestions Julie gave here helped me.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=3714
I will say the more vertical I installed it to begin with the easier the lockoff was to close, and then it wasn't a problem to recline it more with the tether. But unfortunately I don't have to worry about it anymore since Katie is too heavy to rear face now. :( (I have the Marathon, but I assume the Wizard is similar. It is a breeze to install forward facing. :) )
Julie

KeikiHula

If I install it more upright, the lockoff snaps easier, but then when I tighten the tether to make it reclined enough, it pops the lockoff open. And I'm not getting it anywhere near 45 degrees. There isn't enough room in my car to get it that reclined (can't put it in the middle either), I only recline it enough so that Cody is comfy. His head still flops forward when he sleeps b/c he's so upright.
What you posted in the other thread
When I have the seat installed rear facing, the seatbelt pushes on the lockoff tab and renders the lockoff worthless. I can't believe such an expensive seat has such a cheap part. The lockoff will not close at all because the tab is not catching
is EXACTLY the problem I'm having. If I don't use the lockoff, the seat is too loose. The seatbelts don't lock when you pull them out, and even though they are supposed to have the locking latchplate, b/c of the angle the belt is at, it just slides right through.
This seat is AWESOME FF'ing, and takes literally seconds to install it, even with the tether, but it shure gives me fits RF'ing. Part of me thinks he would be safer in a FF'ing well installed seat, than a RF'ing not so well installed seat, but I still want to keep his RF'ing as long as I can.
I have the least problems in my Durango. I had a horrible time installing it in my SIL's '99 or '00 Expedition the other day b/c the buckle comes out of the seat just a tad forward of the seat crack. Everytime I would get the lockoff closed, as soon as I tightened the tether a tiny bit it popped the lockoff open. It was so frustrating.

j4m4d8

I'm so sorry the lockoffs are giving you fits. Mine never popped open, so while it was a bit of a tricky install, it stayed put. I wonder if you ordered new lockoffs if they would be any better or not. :confused:

I know Britax suggests using the lockoff farthest from the buckle, but their website does say you may use the one closest to the buckle instead. (It may damage the lockoff, but if it's coming open anyway....) Or did you try that already?

I sure wish I had something more helpful for you so you could really enjoy the seat.

Julie

KeikiHula

oh no, I LOVE this carseat. LOL And once it's installed in *my* car, it's fine. I have to mess with it and it's not a nice quick easy install, but it's a heck of a lot better than any other carseat I've had! Well, except my beloved FPSE...LOL

I thought in the manual it said to use the lockoff closest to the buckle? Right now I'm using the one farthest from the buckle b/c I just could not get the one closest to close.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Why not 'flip the latchplate' Instead and ignore the lockoffs? You just install your seat (you have the lap/shoulderbelt with lightweight locking latchplates, right?), then unbuckle it, flip the male end one time so it keeps the latchplate held tight in a single half-twist, then re-buckle (hopefully your female end will accept a flipped male, if not, flip the female end one time to make them both the same direction), and voila, it'll hold tight....or at least it should...it's so much easier to type than to do, rofl!

I will not make any more excuses for Britax for these lame lockoffs... honestly, they are necessary, and they are the pits on the bigger seats, in WAY more cases than they have to be. No one (that I know of) ever complains about the RF lockoffs on the RA, why can't they just be the same?!?!?!? (ok, rant off)

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC