Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

TV shows with poor carseat use

Anyone ever notice the major lack of use or misuse of carseats in tv shows? I love "Yes Dear" but everytime it shows them in the car, the kids either aren't in boosters and the seatbelt goes across their faces (esp with Logan, the younger brother) or the straps in their carseats are all wrong. A few days ago there was an episode where they were all on a plane and Sammy was in his Eddie Bauer combo seat with the straps WAY below his shoulders, WAY too loose, and the seat wasn't even belted in to the plane seat! LOL I was just shaking my head the entire show. I always notice stuff like that and it drives my dh nuts. He's threatened to turn off the TV in the middle of a show if I don't stop complaining about it. LOL
    Holly
    momma to Cody, Morgan, and Keanu

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Well, I don't have cable/satelite/digital/NOTHING - so I don't really watch any TV - but sometimes my parents tape a few episodes of certain shows for me: Law & Order(s), CSI(s), Judging Amy, Medium, Crossing Jordan ... I'm at the mercy of their tastes, but I do like these shows, I just don't even have the faintest clue what else there is to watch Anyway, I noticed a few times on Medium that the infant was FF too soon, middle kiddo not in a booster & big kid in a lap belt, but they've since changed that so baby is in the middle (still FF, but she's big enough now), middle kiddo in a booster & big kiddo with a shoulder belt & I haven't ever noticed any problems with the harness straps or anything, but I was looking, LOL!
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar
    There's a new CPS commercial on TLC that is pretty bad. The point of the commercial is for parents to keep their kids harnessed to 40 lb. They show a dad putting a very young toddler into a Graco ComfortSport FF. The toddler is small enough to still be RF, but is probably over 1 year/20 lb. However, after the tot is buckled in, the dad shoves the seat away from the door before shutting it. It moves TONS! Very obviously NOT a proper install.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by UlrikeDG
    There's a new CPS commercial on TLC that is pretty bad. The point of the commercial is for parents to keep their kids harnessed to 40 lb. They show a dad putting a very young toddler into a Graco ComfortSport FF. The toddler is small enough to still be RF, but is probably over 1 year/20 lb. However, after the tot is buckled in, the dad shoves the seat away from the door before shutting it. It moves TONS! Very obviously NOT a proper install.

Oh yeah I saw that one above. Same reaction as you.

On One Tree Hill (gosh I'm showing how young I am and the tacky shows I watch ) they had a SIX month old FF in the backseat. Other than the obvious misuse, it drives me nuts because the target age of that show could EASILY be influenced by the views shown. I have friends my age that are starting families that don't have a clue about this stuff, and would easily be swayed "the good way" by watching proper use on that show.

CPS Fanatic
    Oh, I must have missed that on OTH. The only carseat I've noticed is when Jenny was in an infant seat (and I know a lot of perfectly mature, normal adults who watch OTH! LOL)
    Kelly, mom to Aaric (7.5 and 65 lbs), Mikayla (6 and 52 lbs), and Xander (20 mo and 25 lbs)
    No more Huskies due to a wreck...
    Xander's in a MA, Mikayla in a GN, Aaric is temporarily in the pink Vivo...
    Graco SS1 due to come out of retirement in Jan 09

CPS Technician
    I just saw a Ford commercial about research and making cars safer. Do you think they could use the car seat right? No. I think it was an old Century Breverra(combo seat). The chest clip was no where in sight and it was being used with the 5 point harness. I think the older kid may have been in a booster.

Susan

Carseat Crazy
    Kelly:

It was Jenny in the seat, when she was riding with Whitey FF, straps loose, the whole she-bang of misuse.

I actually really like OTH, I just laugh at myself when I see these not-even-graudated from high school-kids that I am totally entertained by

In The Woods
    Oh, "Stuart Little", the movie. This huge toddler is riding in an infant seat (baby bucket) -- FF! And she's wwaayy too big for the seat, head over the top, you name it.

On loose harnesses, is that one of the most common errors attributing to that 80% car seat misuse rate I keep reading about? A friend (who has a DD near the same age as my DS) helped my DS get into his Wizard and just fastened the buckles and chest clip and shut the door, harness so loose DS could have crawled right out of it. Yikes!

Kristin