Another Life Saved Rear Facing

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I'd thought i let you ladies know you could add another child to the book of children saved rear facing. My nephew.

We were involved in a hit and run tonight around 5:30.

i saw a yellow light so i started to brake (slightly harder than usual b/c we were a little closer to the light than i should have been for the speed i was going) So i stop *completely* when all of the sudden this SUV a few cars back in the left turn lane cuts out of his lane hits the car infront of him slams on the gas goes thru the 2 lanes next me and manages to hit me square in the drivers fender. He hit so hard his car came to a virtual stop ahead of me. i thought he was going to stop so when he started to back up i thought you know "hes getting out of the way so we can pull into this KFC right here and exchange names and insurance stuff." Nope. Wrong. he backs up into another car and then floors it and runs the red light cutting off several cars (but not hitting anyone this time)

The cops showed up and managed to convince me to get out of the car (too scared to see my car all banged up a guess and afraid to leave my nephew and of course i'm 11 weeks 3 days pregnant i was to afraid too think about that thought.) They called an ambulance (formality for pregnant women and babies in car accidents) They took us to the downtown hospital (never a good sign!) but after a sonogram and a few other tests we were determined to be all in fine shape. I'm banged up and the airbag went off which burned me. He's healthy as a horse. Not even real marks for the harness. just scared.

The cars not totaled either. Thank god! The drivers fender is gone (but it was already dented i have a replacement waiting for a spare weekend to install) the hood is gone. the drivers side skirts are crushed from the strut malfunction (also on my repair lists but i just didn’t have time to fix it all) the bumpers crushed too and the radiator burst somehow (not impacted?) and the rim is literally bent. The police were surprised when the body panels started coming off and it looked like the frame was still intact and straight.

He was rear facing in the front seat (no airbag and only spot I could get a good install) in an alpha omega, 2nd slots. At 27 pounds and rather long for his age (I don’t know exactly he had a few inches to go in the AO) His seat didn’t move an inch (not that I expected it too. I installed it with a lap belt and a belt-shortening clip so tight It let marks in the seat. But my car’s seats can be replaced not my nephew) the car itself was a ’92 Subaru SVX (Subaru’s attempt at the luxury car line) 3600 pounds, 2 door, “4” seater (if you happen to have 2 midgets to carry in the back seat.

sorry this is so long but i'm bad at shortening thigs (see other posts) and i had to tell someone without a badge what happened.

ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
very very shaken. I have to go see the police today appaerently they cant discuss it over the phone so i have to get over there today with no car. they havent found the SUV yet but wierdly enough my dad happened to be in the same town just a few blocks down on the same road (its literally 2 roads that cross and nothing else so i'm not surprised b/c he works on that road) He saw a black rodeo flying down the road all banged up with 2 other black SUVs. Thankfully my dad turned on to a side street 2 blocks ahaed of where i was. That would be terrible my car smashed up me gone in an ambalence an him pull up on it. Of course, they wont tel anyone what happened or if the ppl in the accident were ok so he'd freak out.

i hurt alot today. Alot. I woke up and if feels like my shoulders and neck are going to explode. And i'm swollen everywhere (even my ankles?) My OBGYN wants to see me at 1 and yet again i am without a car. They wouldnt let me see the baby in the the emergnecy room (something about if somethig is wrong or goes wrong they dont let you see it there untill 12 weeks which is like 4 days away.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC