luggage in the back of an SUV

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I sorta kinda figured that might be the case...:eek: So we just leave the headrests up high and dh packs stuff down low in the cargo space when he takes it to boyscout camp or whatever.

ADS

momtoirs

But be careful. Some OEM barriers are incompatible with top tethering. This is true for at least some Subarus (mine included) :thumbsdown: (My top tether anchors are in the ceiling of the cargo area, which might be the reason.)

Our Subaru anchors are all just below the hatch and we are not allowed to use the barrier with the top tether either. Makes no sense to me as the cargo area cover (which I can't find anything that says that we canNOT use the tethers) appears to interfere MORE with the tether straps than the barrier would.

Tina

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Can I just ask what model/year Subaru you have? Typically the tether anchors are in the ceiling of Subarus, so your post has me curious what model has the anchors below the hatch :)

aisraeltax

just an update....i asked teh dealer to install the cargo net....price...$300! crazy! BUT, when i got there, it was between teh 2nd and 3d row seats...that wont work...as I need to actually utilize the 3d row! lol! so, no go on teh cargo net (plus, i was thinking about groceries and stuff in teh future).

so, there are D rings all over the vehicle, which is nice. I put the 3d row seats up, luggage behind there and used the Thule straps to tie that down w/. I have some bungie cords with me so i put one of those around the cooler and attached it the ring in that row. I think Im being as safe as possible as there are no other projectiles in the car (other than what ds is playing with and my purse)...but i just do not understand why this isnt considered more by car manufacturers. I guess I cant complain too much b/c i think this car has at least 8 D rings for securing things such as these straps.

aisraeltax

omg you are so optimistic!!! im sitting in a hotel room right now in Greensville SC! This trip is going so slow....not b/c of ds (2) but b/c of ME...i just get so worn out so easily right now. :( I was hoping to make it to NYC by tomorrow night but that will NOT happen! lol!

the car is great. i just cant wait to get all this STUFF out of it! :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Sorry the trip home is taking so long! At least you have a fancy new vehicle to do it in though! Drive safe and report back when you make it home!

momtoirs

Can I just ask what model/year Subaru you have? Typically the tether anchors are in the ceiling of Subarus, so your post has me curious what model has the anchors below the hatch :)

We have a 2000 Imprezza Wagon. We checked the manual and the two outboard ones have/had little plastic doors (that were almost impossible to get open) with an icon showing what their for. I don't recall exactly what the icon is right now. I think one door has broken off and is gone but the other is still there if you want me to take a picture of it.

Tina

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I always kept my CPST tote bag in the trunk area along with 1st Aid Kit & Emergency Pack. In my SUV, these items were stored in a long/flat Rubbermaid bin (not the squarish/tallish ones) that I wrapped bungee cords around to keep it closed. I just kept it all the way up close to the back of the seats because there was no way whatsoever to tight it down.

To the OP, make sure your car HAS cargo straps... would you believe my Ford Escape Hybrid has none? How shocked was I that day I went to load a hot crock pot full of soup in my trunk and there was nowhere to strap that thing down? :eek:
You must have missed my doggy drama when I 1st got my 2005 Hybrid Escape :whistle: I was so confused about how to safely seat a newborn + preschooler + booster'd kid + BIG kid + 2 dogs + myself in that vehicle :dizzy: (& I thought I'd checked everything when I bought it, but the dealership didn't know when I signed the paper that Ford was no longer selling the cargo barrier)

P.S. yes, it's because of the hybrid battery

P.P.S. just in case anyone is wondering, I managed to fit the Parkway behind driver for 2nd oldest child, preschooler FF center using middle top tether on cargo ceiling, newborn outboard passenger side, oldest kid up front, each dog hooked on to the outboard top tether anchors -- had to remove the plastic coverings to use high weighted locking karibiner (sp?) clips with the Ruff Rider Roadie harnesses.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC