luggage in the back of an SUV

aisraeltax

ive never dealt w/ this. this will be my first SUV and i try to minimize projectiles...

so what do you do when you have luggage INSIDE the suv? how do you secure it?

ADS

southpawboston

you can use ratcheting tie-down strap to tie it down to the cargo anchors. it might not keep things from becoming projectiles (cargo hooks aren't that strong), but it will help.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Most manufacturers make cargo nets that have some stretch and have built in connectors to attach to the cargo hooks. These really help with things shifting around, not totally sure how much they'd help in an accident, I'd think some.

There are also barriers that attach to the ceiling and form a barrier behind the 2nd row of seats. These are often marketed for pets, but are basically to secure things behind the seats. The OEM ones, if your manufacture makes ones, will be designed specifically for the vehicle and attach securely and safely. They often come in a netting type or a steel barrier.

My 1st and 2nd cars were hatchbacks and then my 3rd and current have had liftgates, so I've always had the open cargo area issue. Typically I use a cargo net for light items, groceries, etc. and then we use the ratcheting straps for heavy stuff. Costco usually sells a set of ratcheting straps for a decent price.

beeman

I'm a big fan of the ratchet straps SPB mentioned earlier. It is easier to keep an object from moving then it is to stop it from moving, so something where you secure it into one place (such as tie downs) will not experience the same stresses as something that stops the item from moving (such as a barrier between segments of the cab), so the tie downs don't need to be as strong as a division. If you choose to go the barrier route, place your cargo near the front of the storage area, as close to the barrier as possible, so that the cargo doesn't rush forward in the event of a sudden stop or collision. Most 1" ratchet straps have a max load rating of 200lbs (depending on what they are connected to), however you still must confirm this on your load securing device, so make sure you cargo is properly secured for it's weight. Happy traveling!

southpawboston

you can find them in any target, walmart, etc, either in the camping section or auto section. they're nylon straps, kind of like stroller straps, but with hooks and adjusters. sorry i don't have a pic. they're often sold in a 4-pack for like $20.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There are also barriers that attach to the ceiling and form a barrier behind the 2nd row of seats. These are often marketed for pets, but are basically to secure things behind the seats. The OEM ones, if your manufacture makes ones, will be designed specifically for the vehicle and attach securely and safely. They often come in a netting type or a steel barrier.

The problem is that these are pressure mounted and not crash tested. If you crash and have heavy cargo behind them (or maybe nothing at all, depending on the crash and the quality of your mounting skills), then the barrier can come potentially flying forward and around the car... and those things are kind of sharp... So ideally you want one that's bolted to the frame of the car (which are surprisingly hard to get ahold of... :().

To the OP, make sure your car HAS cargo straps... would you believe my Ford Escape Hybrid has none? How shocked was I that day I went to load a hot crock pot full of soup in my trunk and there was nowhere to strap that thing down? :eek:

aisraeltax

here is what i have already: http://www.etrailer.com/pc-~TH523.htm?utm_source=dealtime&utm_medium=ppc&Affiliate=deal
i think im most comfortable using these for now (we will have mostly luggage and a cooler in the back right now).

but that does have me wondering about groceries, etc. etc.

like i said, ive never encountered this issue before.

i cant put anything between the 2nd and 3d rows b/c we are going to be utilizing both rows.

Im trying to call the car dealer now and see what the options are.

Im wondering though....w/ the straps I have (or any straps) what am I going to strap them to? are there giong to be areas back there that i can strap it to?

Im kind of amazed this isnt an issue w/ all SUV's and minivans that hasnt been resolved. what do they say about a flying gallon of OJ in an accident? the force it causes???

beeman

Those straps you've got there look right for the job :cool: ! A cargo net would also work for the lighter items, that don't have any strength to hold a strap properly (Such as bags of groceries).

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The problem is that these are pressure mounted and not crash tested. If you crash and have heavy cargo behind them (or maybe nothing at all, depending on the crash and the quality of your mounting skills), then the barrier can come potentially flying forward and around the car... and those things are kind of sharp... So ideally you want one that's bolted to the frame of the car (which are surprisingly hard to get ahold of... :().
I was talking about the ones attached to the ceiling, I'd never install a pressure mounted one. Some manufacturer's make ones that have attachment points already built into the ceiling and you just have to remove some plastic pieces, then the part install with a rod or bolt into the ceiling.

To the OP, make sure your car HAS cargo straps... would you believe my Ford Escape Hybrid has none? How shocked was I that day I went to load a hot crock pot full of soup in my trunk and there was nowhere to strap that thing down? :eek:
Heh? What year is it?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Im wondering though....w/ the straps I have (or any straps) what am I going to strap them to? are there giong to be areas back there that i can strap it to?
You should have cargo hooks on the rear floor or side of the vehicle. Ask the dealer or seller to show you where they are BEFORE you leave (or check the owner's manual).

aisraeltax

I called the dealer and they are going to install the cargo net for me and Im taking my straps. there are hooks there so that will work for strapping the stuff down (luggage and cooler).

thanks everyone!

twokidstwodogs

There are also barriers that attach to the ceiling and form a barrier behind the 2nd row of seats. These are often marketed for pets, but are basically to secure things behind the seats. The OEM ones, if your manufacture makes ones, will be designed specifically for the vehicle and attach securely and safely.

But be careful. Some OEM barriers are incompatible with top tethering. This is true for at least some Subarus (mine included) :thumbsdown: (My top tether anchors are in the ceiling of the cargo area, which might be the reason.)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
But be careful. Some OEM barriers are incompatible with top tethering. This is true for at least some Subarus (mine included) :thumbsdown: (My top tether anchors are in the ceiling of the cargo area, which might be the reason.)
Good point! and definitely something to check on before going ahead and getting one installed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC