RECALL: Graco Cargo, Ultra Cargo, Platinum Cargo - Seat Labels Missing NHTSA phone number

MomToEliEm

Make / Models :
GRACO / 8487BELI CARGO ULTRA
GRACO / 8487SMP CARGO ULTRA
GRACO / 8487WBR CARGO ULTRA
GRACO / 8686ROS TREASURED CARGO
GRACO / 8689FAR PLATINUM CARGO
GRACO / 8D01ZPH PLATINUM CARGO
GRACO / 8D02SYC PLATINUM CARGO
GRACO / 8D03WIK CARGO BOOSTER
GRACO / 8D04SDN CARGO BOOSTER
GRACO / 8D05NWY PLATINUM CARGO
GRACO / 8D10CCE PLATINUM CARGO

Manufacturer : GRACO CHILDREN'S PRODUCTS INC
Mfr's Report Date : MAR 10, 2008
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08C005000
NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: CHILD SEAT
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 121042

Summary:
GRACO IS RECALLING 121,042 CARGO BOOSTER SEATS (CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS) MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JANUARY 9, 2006 AND MARCH 3, 2008. THESE SEATS WERE LABELED WITH AN INCORRECT TELEPHONE NUMBER FOR THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION (NHTSA) WHICH FAILS TO CONFORM TO THE LABELING REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 213, CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS.

Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF A PROBLEM WITH THESE CHILD RESTRAINTS, OWNERS WOULD BE IMPEDED IN CONTACTING NHTSA.

Remedy:
GRACO WILL MAIL ALL REGISTERED OWNERS A NOTIFICATION LETTER ADVISING THEM OF THE ERROR. INCLUDED WITH THE LETTER WILL BE A NEW LABEL WITH THE CORRECT NHTSA HOTLINE TELEPHONE NUMBER, ANOTHER LABEL THAT SHOULD BE AFFIXED ADJACENT TO THE LABEL WITH THE MODEL NUMBER AND MANUFACTURE DATE INFORMATION ON THE BACK OF THE CHILD RESTRAINT ADVISING THAT THE UNIT HAS BEEN REMEDIED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS CAMPAIGN, AND INSTRUCTIONS ABOUT WHERE AND HOW TO AFFIX BOTH LABELS. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING MARCH 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT GRACO TOLL FREE AT 800-345-4109.

Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...rcl_ID=08C005000&summary=true&PrintVersion=NO

Last edited:
ADS

southpawboston

Re: RECALL: Graco Cargo, Ultra Cargo, Platinum Cargo - Manual Missing NHTSA phone number

CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153)

wouldn't it be hysterically ironic if you tried to call that number only to learn that it was the wrong number? :D

southpawboston

Re: RECALL: Graco Cargo, Ultra Cargo, Platinum Cargo - Manual Missing NHTSA phone number

oh, and another thing:

Consequence:
IN THE EVENT OF A PROBLEM WITH THESE CHILD RESTRAINTS, OWNERS WOULD BE IMPEDED IN CONTACTING NHTSA.

yeah, like if you called them with a complaint, a huge government bureaucracy would actually DO ANYTHING quickly anyway? seriously, i understand the technical need for a recall, but honestly, this is pretty stupid.

minismom

oh, and another thing:

yeah, like if you called them with a complaint, a huge government bureaucracy would actually DO ANYTHING quickly anyway? seriously, i understand the technical need for a recall, but honestly, this is pretty stupid.

:yeahthat:

Google people!!!

OP, we still appreciate you posting the details!!!

crunchierthanthou

I don't know if I would think to look on my carseat if I needed to contact NHTSA. I'd probably start at something like NHTSA.gov or google. I doubt I would have even thought to contact them for any reason a year or so ago.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The funny thing about this recall, is that somebody posted the petition that graco had submitted to nhtsa to be exempt from issuing a similar recall for incorrect ph#'s or missing contact info on some seats. I don't recall if these were the seats or not... funny though, that thread's concensus was that a recall wasn't really necessary in the circumstances graco described... but apparently if this is the same one they advised the NHTSA about but then petitioned to not issue the recall they were denied it. :shrug-shoulders:

Stretchy Glue

For 2 years of seats, there aren't that many involved, relatively speaking. And for once it's not a safety issue. Honestly, how many parents even know what NHTSA is anyway?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC