3 Radians across the 3rd row?

Mommy2Five

Would 3 Radians fit across the 3rd row of a 98 Pontiac Montana?
The 3rd row bench measured 48 inches wide at the seat bight, but there's more room at the shoulders. One would be RF for now, but eventually they would all need to be FF. Anyone been able to achieve this?

TIA

JoAnn

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I think they will fit, but the issue is the seatbelts. Do you have any rigid stalks back there for the female buckle? That's the killer with the Radian (and many other carseats)...

Mommy2Five

I was hoping they would fit like this,and the side "wings" of the outboard seats would hang over the side walls. That might help them fit, even though they're technically 3" wider than the seat...
Any opinions? We haven't been able to all fit in our minivan since the baby was born, and its a LOT better on gas mileage than the Durango, so I'm hoping to make it work somehow.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I think the issue wil be more getting a good install in the first place. IIRC the Montana is the vehicle that has both locking latch plates AND switchable retractors in the 3rd row outboard. If I am remembering correctly, then the system I am thinking of has long buckle stalks, 3 twists may not be enough with the low profile of the radian ffing. What other seats do you have (I see lots of GN's in your siggy) that might be able to be puzzled in with the Radians?

Last edited:

Mommy2Five

We have 5 GN's between both cars, and 4 AO's (which I'm hoping to get rid of)
That I rally don't want to use FF. Would several different seats fit better than 3 radians? I'm hoping to ERF the baby, and am set on extended harnessing for the other kids.

I just saw a reference to the Ride Safer Travel Vest in another post, and am wondering if maybe I could put my oldest 2 in them outboard,3rd row and fit one of the GNs in the center. Anyone have any experiences with/pictures of these vests?

TIA

JoAnn

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Do you have the Radians already?

First off you need to try a Radian in all 3 rear seating positions ( one at a time) to make sure a good install is even possible in each position. Assuming you can get a good installs there, I think you can get 3 across. 2ffing and 1 rfing is probably not going to be a problem.. 3 ffing...I would have to try it to see.

But I still think good installs are going to be problematic in the rear outboard seats. Again, if I am picturing that car correctly, I am remembering having problems with lots of seats there.

What have you gotten good installs with in that car in the past.

Last edited:

Mommy2Five

I don't have the Radians yet, I didn't want to drop that kind of money on them if they wouldn't fit the situation. I've had lots of different seats back there in all seating positions over the years. But I did have a bear of a time getting baseless RF AO/E's in there because their belt paths sat so low, it did eventually work, but wasn't fun. The more I think about it, the Ride Safer Vests sound like a better idea (and $400 cheaper in all ;) ) I'll have to look into them further.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC