Pool noodles as a footrest... how do I debate this with my instructor?

waterbaby

Today my instructors covered pool noodles when helping with reclines, and emphasized that they're okay to use b/c they've been crash tested, etc. (I didn't know/realize they HAD been crash tested!)

So I brought up the idea of noodles as a foot rest and all I got was "NO NO NO! If you have to mess with the seat at all, it's not okay!" I don't feel the lecturer never really heard me out and I don't think she really understands what I was getting at. And how is it any different than using noodles on a recline installation? I think a footrest "interferes" less with the install than recline noodles.

So, I wanted to either make one or take in a picture so she (and the other instructors) could actually see what I'm talking about. How it's simple, doesn't interfere with the harness or installation at all, and if by chance, it did become projectile, it's going to do little, if any, injury. But I don't want to come across as a know-it-all or I told you so, kwim? But obviously, they've not seen or heard of doing this, and it may be a great solution for some of the kids they see.

Thoughts?

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I think what she's talking about is cutting the pool noodle and threading a rope/string through it and using the rf belt path when the seat if ff. It would work nicely for the kids when their legs fall asleep from hanging down. I'm going to try to create something like this for dd's PW this weekend. I haven't tried it yet and don't have the time right now.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think it is something you probably won't get the instructor to agree with you on. I hope you do though. It is definately a caregiver decision to make. I habe not problem with it since it in no way interferes with the install or function of the seat making it less safe.

scatterbunny

I think it is something you probably won't get the instructor to agree with you on. I hope you do though. It is definately a caregiver decision to make. I habe not problem with it since it in no way interferes with the install or function of the seat making it less safe.

:yeahthat: I don't think an instructor would agree to it, but I don't see a problem with it myself.

waterbaby

I think I just need to let it go. I have no need to attach one to any of our seats... and I don't want to argue just for the sake of arguing, kwim? Besides, I've already been labeled the "weirdo" of the class b/c I'm not required to be there and (thanks to this site), already know the basics of car seat safety.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I think I just need to let it go. I have no need to attach one to any of our seats... and I don't want to argue just for the sake of arguing, kwim? Besides, I've already been labeled the "weirdo" of the class b/c I'm not required to be there and (thanks to this site), already know the basics of car seat safety.

That is probably best. My class was me and a 6 fire fighters and 2 instructors who were also fire fighters. I was fortunated they all made me feel welcome. I was also the only girl. They were very inpressed with my knowledge. I am sorry your class is not as supportive. In a couple day you will be certified though!

scatterbunny

waterbaby, it was the same way in my first attempt at the CPST class. I tried to just keep my mouth shut, but other issues caused me to drop out. My second attempt was much, much better but I still had to keep my mouth shut at certain times. Luckily there was one other girl in the class as CPS-obsessed as me, and we made each other not feel so weird. :p

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Jenny, I was thinking of something like this, just this morning. Because of the whole short booster thing.

scatterbunny

Jenny, I was thinking of something like this, just this morning. Because of the whole short booster thing.

Let me know if you get it to work out. I have the captain's chairs, so it might be a bit different for me, but I think I'd buy a Vivo if we could come up with a footrest that isn't just a blanket or foam cooler thrown on the floor.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I should post a pic of my kids' footrest (they swap it around). It's piece of thick, very light foam that was originally sold as a "Step" exercise thing (you know, so you can step up and down off it?) It was too wide, so I cut it in half with a hacksaw and gave Gypsy the other half. Might not be tall enough for kids in a Marathon, but it's great for booster kids.

Oh, and when cutting up foam with a hacksaw - use a mask to cover your mouth and nose! I coughed up foam-tasting phlegm for two days! :eek:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
So what do you think, Jenny. Rope with pool noodle to support the leg where the booster doesn't, or something under the feet?

scatterbunny

Hmm, I think H would prefer something to support her feet. I *almost* got a Start footrest recently, but we just didn't have the $$.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
What about this? I have an idea of how to make one, without having something under the booster seat.

601-5496784-2272968

Just in case the pic doesn't work:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-1/qid=1203657611/ref=sr_1_1/601-5496784-2272968?ie=UTF8&asin=B000674KM6&rh=k%3Acar%20foot%20rest&page=1

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I think like a seat saver, with a pillow/foot rest thing attached. I would do it without the seat saver.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Ummm....

I've mentioned using pool noodles as a foot rest several times, but I never thought of using them like you girls are describing.

I just cut up several and tape them together to make a box that sits on the floor boards.

I don't tie them to anything.

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
Today my instructors covered pool noodles when helping with reclines, and emphasized that they're okay to use b/c they've been crash tested, etc. (I didn't know/realize they HAD been crash tested!)

So I brought up the idea of noodles as a foot rest and all I got was "NO NO NO! If you have to mess with the seat at all, it's not okay!" I don't feel the lecturer never really heard me out and I don't think she really understands what I was getting at. And how is it any different than using noodles on a recline installation? I think a footrest "interferes" less with the install than recline noodles.

So, I wanted to either make one or take in a picture so she (and the other instructors) could actually see what I'm talking about. How it's simple, doesn't interfere with the harness or installation at all, and if by chance, it did become projectile, it's going to do little, if any, injury. But I don't want to come across as a know-it-all or I told you so, kwim? But obviously, they've not seen or heard of doing this, and it may be a great solution for some of the kids they see.

Thoughts?

Well I have a completely different point of view. I'm not an Instructor but I was a course assistant and saw all the behind the scenes stuff and would like to give you another perspective.

I realize it's late and this thread has taken a different path but I am commenting on your original post. Debating the use of a pool noodle for a foot rest durng the CPST class was inappropriate and if I were an Instructor I too probably would have squashed any discussion about it. The lesson was about using pool noodles for a rear-facing recline and that you cannot use them for any other seat installation. When you start talking about jury-rigging pool noodles to make a foot rest you are de-railing the lecture and really getting off topic.

The curriculum is very specific about what MUST be covered and there is a limited amount of time to teach it. When I was assisting we fell way behind and it was extremely stressful for the Instructors. During breaks they had to figure out what to do to get back on track because they HAD to finish on time. Sure there is time for discussion, question and answers but they must stick to the curriculum. For an Instructor to agree with you that you can jury rig pool noodles to make a foot rest is inappropriate in terms of the very strict curriculum. Try to imagine the rest of the students in the class (who are not CPS saavy as you are) trying to wrap their head around such a discussion. Remember, they are already overwhelmed.

I think as a CPS Tech you can bring the subject up again in a more appropriate setting, but the time and place is not during the CPST class. I disagree with my Instructors on certain gray areas and I know that my Instructors disagree with each other on certain topics as well. I will also add, that having not ever heard (or seen the thread) about making a foot rest out of a pool noodle, I had no idea what you were talking about above, until I read through the thread. And again, if I were an Instructor I would have put an end to the discussion.

Thats my :twocents: :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC