I love the Nautilus, it doesn't love my vehicles...

jaded

Well, I take that back, it installs fine in my cars(a 94 Sable and a 2001 Explorer) but there is no way I can install a rearfacing carseat next to it(which I will need to do in 2 months). The rearfacing seat I tried was a Radian(which installs beautifully rearfacing in the Sable)And really, if I can't fit the Radian next to it, chances are, nothing is going to fit.

And the seats would have to go next to each other, since my oldest son requires the lap/shoulder belt.

So, back it goes. DS fit great in it too. :(

ADS
Well, I take that back, it installs fine in my cars(a 94 Sable and a 2001 Explorer) but there is no way I can install a rearfacing carseat next to it(which I will need to do in 2 months). The rearfacing seat I tried was a Radian(which installs beautifully rearfacing in the Sable)And really, if I can't fit the Radian next to it, chances are, nothing is going to fit.

And the seats would have to go next to each other, since my oldest son requires the lap/shoulder belt.

So, back it goes. DS fit great in it too. :(

Does the seat have to be next to it, or could you use them both outboard? or is there 3 across?

jaded

There will be 3 across, my 5yo, the infant, and my 12yo. And neither of the vehicles has a lap/shoulder belt in the middle.

I could try my Marathon next to the Nautilus, but I don't like the way a newborn fits in the Marathon. And any other seat I'd consider using for the baby(the Evenflo Triumph Advanced or the Safe Seat 1) wouldn't fit next to the Nautilus either.

jaded

12 yo is 100lbs and 1 inch shorter than I am, he has long since been able to pass the 5 step test.

The armrests are what is making the Nautilus not fit next to the Radian. A bit depressing really, because my 5yo would have longer in the harness of the Nautilus than he does in the Radian. But,, I guess it's just not meant to be.

12 yo is 100lbs and 1 inch shorter than I am, he has long since been able to pass the 5 step test.

The armrests are what is making the Nautilus not fit next to the Radian. A bit depressing really, because my 5yo would have longer in the harness of the Nautilus than he does in the Radian. But,, I guess it's just not meant to be.

Do not worry, in the next 2 months there are new seats due out and maybe one of those will be better - SKJP is making a booster, montgomery? i think it is called.

abacus2

That is disappointing to hear. The Nautilus doesn't fit next to a RF Decathlon in my big car (Dodge Intrepid), but I was assuming that surely a Radian would work next to it. Have you tried the Nautilus in every position?

jaded

Oh, I'm not worried about any seat fitting next to the Radian, just that the Nautilus won't fit next to it. I know his Turbobooster will fit next to the Radian. I just won't be able to keep him harnessed as long as I would've liked too.

Yep, I did try the Nautilus in the center position in the Sable(I currently have the Radian installed rearfacing on the passenger side), the armrest on the Nautilus kept me from even getting the seat to sit flat against the vehicle seat, let alone installed correctly.

jaded

And if the Nautilus won't work next to a RF Decathlon in an Intrepid, then the chances are, the Marathon next to the Nautilus won't work in my Sable.

I'll take a few pictures tomorrow, to show exactly what I'm talking about as far as fit.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Did you try installing the Nautilus as close to the door as possible? Did you try it in both the drivers outboard and passengers outboard seats (sometimes one is bigger than the other)??

jaded

I am going to go back out tomorrow and play around with the seats some more, if the temperature holds up that is(it was 32 when I was initially installing the Nautilus, almost spring weather here!)

If I can get it to work in the Sable, great, because that will be the main transport vehicle for the kids. Then I will just have to figure out a seat for the baby in the Explorer, my sons Turbobooster is in that car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC