I know I have asked before, but here I go again

dragonfly8

Sorry if this was answered some time ago.
I drive a 99 Suburban. Big, big vehicle. The front seat and middle row are both bench seats. There is no 3rd row. I have 3 kids, soon to have 4. My oldest is almost 14, so she usually sits in the front. My 7 year old is 70lbs, and he sits in the back (which is actually the middle row, but our back row) on the passenger side outboard position. My 2 year old is FF in a Radian on the drivers side outboard position (middle row). I have recently moved the radian to the middle position in the middle row but since I am pregnant (and even when I'm not), I have a hard time getting him into his radian as I have to climb into the truck myself to reach him in that position. Here is the problem. I have a Safety first designer 22 infant car seat. Baby will be in that for a few months at least. At some point when baby is older I will get another radian. Until then, is baby better off to be in the middle position and 2 year old in the outboard position? If baby is outboard, I will have to put 2 year old in first and depending where we are, it could be hard. I wouldn't want to turn my back on a newborn in a stroller while I was preoccupied with a 2 year old. Also, if baby is in the middle, I will somehow have to lift the infant seat over the radian to click it into it's base. Again, with a huge, high truck, it will be hard.
What do you think would work best? Or do I just suck it up and play around with the seats to see what works?
I could use the passenger door, but the power lock is messed up so I have to hold it down (the back door lock)while closing it from the front................more of an inconvenience than anything.................
Thanks for your help!!

Erin

ADS

mamoomorgan

hmmm... I'm trying to picture the situation, so are you saying that you can only load from the drivers side? I have my 2 yo in the center and the baby bucket outboard on the drivers side (sequoia so it's pretty high too). If I need to I can have the 2yo climb over the baby seat to get in and out but buckling can be a bit tricky. We have running boards I stand on which helps. As for getting two safely in and out....I always get my toddler unbuckled first but keep her on the seat while I do the baby and then get them both out together, when I'm putting them in my toddler gets in her seat (not buckled) and then I do her up AFTER the baby is in. Works for me...

Good luck,

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm guessing the 7yo can't go in the middle because it's a lap-only belt, right? So when you're loading up, does he scoot across the bench from the driver's side? Could he help the 2yo into his seat? Maybe it would work to just get the 2yo in the car (not necessarily in his seat,) snap the baby in, then do up the toddler from the front seat? (I know with the size of that vehicle that would be awkward too, my parents drive one.)

Ideally, assuming you have lap-only in the centre, the toddler should take that place as the 2nd least-protected (your 7yo is the very least protected,) but its hard to figure the most convenient arrangement.

I don't know if that helps at all, or just confuses you more! :shrug-shoulders:

dragonfly8

The temp here is supposed to be +3 today, which is a heck of a lot nicer than the -40 (with the windchill) it was a few days ago!!
Perhaps I will take the baby seat out to the garage and play around with a few different positions to see what might work best.................

We don't have running boards, and being 33 weeks pregnant makes getting up into the back seat right now, very difficult to do!
But yes, once I am not pregnant anymore I might be able to reach over baby or turn around from the front seat to buckle my 2 year old up...............................

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC