Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Any experience with swings and bouncers?

I want to buy my friend a swing or bouncer but can't decide which to get. They dont have room for a full size swing, so I'm looking at travel swings. I Really like the Boppy swing and have heard great reviews, but I saw one in person at BRU and it wasnt sturdy at all, but it looked like it might just be their floor model and maybe they arent all like that. It seriously had some issues, I'm thinking it had to be put together wrong or something, because it was seriously broken looking. I'm also looking at the Fisher Price rainforest swing, and another fisher price swing.

I had the fisher price aquarium travel swing with my first baby and it was nice, but we didn't use it much, my baby liked her bouncer more.

With the 2nd baby, we borrowed a cradle swing and loved it, but we mostly used the side to side motion and the travel swings don't do that. We also mainly used the bouncer with the 2nd baby.

So, bouncers I am looking at are the Boppy, or any of the fisher price bouncers.
    Any opinions on whether swing or bouncer is better, and then which bouncer or swing out of the ones I'm looking at is a good one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7695518
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7756641
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5750781

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5420734
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7732464
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7732463
    Mom to:
    Hannah 11 Graco Connext, Abby 10 Graco Connext, Josh 7 Recaro Performance Booster, and Zach 2 1/2 Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Any experience with swings and bouncers?

The swings you picked are good. At my work, we have had no issues with any of those. We have had issues with Simplicity take along swings. I would steer clear of them!

We also carry all the bouncers you linked. I like the idea of the new Bright Starts, being up a little more. A lot of moms put a normal bouncer on a table. The Bright Stars one is tall, so I am hoping it will keep some people from putting one on a table.

We loved the Fisher Price Aquarium Travel Swing. It was so handy and we often took it with us on trips, because it's so portable. We used that every day for quite a few months.
    Namegirl
    DD in Turbo
    DS in Turbo, Pioneer
    DS in Diono
    DD in Britax B-Safe

Tucker has a FP rainforest take along swing. I had to buy it for her babies, not her. She also had the FP aquarium bouncer and I loved it!
    Last edited by azgirl71; 02-09-2008 at 01:47 PM. Reason: to add
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

Quote Originally Posted by Namegirl View Post
    We loved the Fisher Price Aquarium Travel Swing. It was so handy and we often took it with us on trips, because it's so portable. We used that every day for quite a few months.
    Mandi, ~ Mom to A, 9 years old! ~
    84 lbs, 56 in, belted in her Britax Parkway SGL

CPS Technician

We have the FP Rainforest bouncer that Ian LOVED! That thing was a lifesaver for us. We also had the Boppy swing that my DW and I really liked, but Ian just hated being in any type of swing. We lent the Boppy swing to our next door neighbor for their tiny newborn (They had a BIG FP swing that just ate the baby and I was worried it would slip out!), and their son really loves it. The Boppy had so many good features, as well as music that I could stand listening to over and over again.
    Ian James - 3.5 Years
    FF Learning Curve Truefit and FF Britax RA

CPS Advocate

DS hated swings with a passion, actually he hated swings of any kind(outdoor too) until he was over 2 years old lol! He liked his bouncy though.

DS, DNi, DNi, and DNe all used the aquarium version bouncer, which I suppose has been replaced by the rainforest. So it must be good! lol!

The travel swing we had was an original and did not have an open top, none of them liked it.
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

From the reviews I am reading, the aquarium bouncer was liked much better than the rainforest one. Unfortunately, the aquarium is not still out there, except through Craig's list (where I got mine)

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

I second the Aquarium Bouncer and Take-a-long swing. Money well spent.

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

CPS Fanatic

I was thinking of a travel swing so I could take it up and down the stairs, but after reading the reviews on some, I was looking at the Boppy one, I opted for another full size swing, we have 2 homes. There was several complaints and worries about once the babies are old enough to sit forward, the swings would tip forward. I loved to be able to use my swing even when my kiddos were older, and I could put them in it in the bathroom when I showered, so I figured I would just invest in another full size one, rather than a travel one now and then having to buy another later.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight

I would definitely get the take along aquarium swing over the other travel swings.

At about 4 months, my daughter figured out how to stop our take along swing that was designed like the ones you showed with the upside down v-type legs (another FP model). She would stick out her leg and grab onto the front side and stop the swing from moving. This made the swing essentially worthless. The take along aquarium is a much better design.