BLVD bracing in 2006 Town & Country/ 2 RF seats?

existential27

I presently have a BLVD installed RFing in the passenger side captain's chair of our 2006 T & C. The top of the BLVD back was touching the back of the front passenger seat. I just read in the van owner's manual that nothing should touch the seat back to avoid problems with the air bag occupation classification system. So, I put the front passenger seat in full upright position, which elminates the touching. It also makes the front seat very uncomfortable...

We had planned on installing another BLVD Rfing in the other captain's chair, behind the driver. I imagine it will also touch the back of the driver's seat. Maybe this isn't a problem?

DD is 39 months, just under 30 lbs, RFing in a BLVD. I want to keep her RFing as long as possible. DS is 11 months, 20 lbs, RFing in a SS1.

I see my options as
* installing the 2 BLVDs RFing in the captain's chairs
* installing one in the driver's side captain's chair, one in the middle of 3rd row bench seat (if it would fit)
* installing both in the 3rd row bench seat (if they would fit)
* returning one of the BLVDs (new in box/just purchased), and getting a different seat for one of the kids that might work better
* turning DD FFing in the passenger side captain's chair or middle of 3rd row, and installing BLVD RFing for DS in driver's side captain's chair.

What should I do? Maybe there are other options I am missing, too?

Last edited:
ADS

crunchierthanthou

How reclined are they? The 45 degree recommendation is for newborns. Older babies and toddlers with good head control can be as upright as 30 degrees. I know of several instances where rf Britax convertibles have fit in Chysler vans.

To get it more upright, pull the base back from the seat bight an inch or two and push toward the front of the carseat (over the harness adjuster) as you are tightening, rather than over the back.

What does your owner's manual say about touching the driver's seat? I don't think that's as much of a concern because the airbags don't function on a sensor there. They are always active.

existential27

I think it is probably reclined all the way--45 degrees or pretty close. I imagine we will have to adjust the RF tether then if we decrease the seat angle?

I didn't see anything in the owner's manual about the driver's seat.

crunchierthanthou

Yes, you'll have to adust the rf tether. Really, the angle Britax seats installed with LATCH can be adjusted quickly and without completely uninstalling. Loosen the latch connectors on each side and the tether, adjust the position, retighten while pushing toward the front and retighten the tether.

Also, keep in mind that the tether doesn't have to be so tight that it affects the recline- just taut so that there is no slack. Overtightening has actually been linked to broken recline mechanisms and pulling too hard can pull out the ripstitching on those seats with the energy absorbing tether.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC