Toddler Torture Device

classicseats

Here is the infamous GM Child Love Seat 1978. When your kids complain about their seats, show them this one. One position, no recline. Lovely white vinyl. Can you even use it after Labor Day? Oh, it has a tether!

Last edited:
ADS

miraclebabies

my cousin had this exact seat. There were 5 kids in the family and they all had a different seat. My older cousin had a brown leather with a shield and we had the bobby mac infant and toddler one. I always look forward to seeing the different seats you have...

jaded

I had one of those(garage sale find in late 90's), but yours is a lot cleaner than mine was. Mine had the brown vinyl though.

Wow, and how are you supposed to buckle it in? Please don't tell me that the simply buckled it around the seat! Oh, and talk about no leg support!

monzogary

Senior Community Member
I had one of these with brown vinyl for my oldest dd. I bought it at a garage sale (!) and then made a fake sheepkin cover for it. I do remember that I knew to use a locking clip on the seatbelt to hold it tight though, and I did try to hook the tether up right. I drove a single cab '93 Ford Ranger and hooked the tether to where the lug wrench was bolted to the floor behind the seat. Makes me cringe when I think about the seats she rode in!

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Wow, and how are you supposed to buckle it in? Please don't tell me that the simply buckled it around the seat! Oh, and talk about no leg support!

Oh yes, it buckled around the seat. I used a locking clip to keep it tight, and just buckled and unbuckled each time. I don't remember about leg support, as my dd was tiny and the seat itself was pretty small. I think she outgrew it way before 40 lbs just because she was too cramped. Then she moved to a shield booster :eek: .

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That was the seat my siblings and I had (right into the mid-80's, sadly!) NZ Child Restraints posted a similar one a while back, but this one is exactly the same as ours... right down to the individual strap adjusters and the lovely snap fastener at the crotch! You should post a close-up of that "heavy-duty" attachment, Classic Seats!

My parents still had that seat when DS was born ('05) and were very upset that I didn't find it acceptable to use! :eek:

I can hear the sound of skin ripping off vinyl now... :cool:

Cedarmom

That's the seat I was in, except in brown vinyl. Mom still talks about that seat. It was the best money could buy at the time, according to her. ;)

JoyJoy

Wow that is scarey looking. Even worse My mom never even used one like that. We got car seats from WIC with my two youngest brothers. They had a vinyle shield thing but they where metal seats. That wasn't tell like 1985 or so. We never used car seats when we where little. I still remember holding my baby brother on my lap. I was three.:eek:

Kabes

This was my car seat; I was born in 76. I hated it worth a passion, mostly because of the "wings" on either side of my head. I was always getting carsick! I remember my mom saying "You must be 4 or 40 lbs. to ride in the seat belt". I was counting the days to my fourth birthday (I think before I even turned 3). It almost makes me nauseated just looking at the pic. . lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC