Ready to buy, just a few last questions - Britax Marathon

akameme

Hello -
You have all been so helpful, I just want to layout my plan one last time and make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I purchase.

I have 13 month twins, both in their infant seats.
Becca is 19 lbs 8 oz (probably close to 20) and 28 1/2 inches -
Jake is 18 lbs and 27 1/2 inches

They are quite petite, so I'm planning to buy two marathons.
I plan to keep them rear facing through the next year - at least (have to see weight/height etc).

I'm hoping to keep them in these seats until they are 5..

I should be good on expiration (6 years from DOM, right?)
I'm sure I will be fine on weight - I guess the big question will be height and torso height.

From experience, can kids stay in the MA until 5 or 6? I know it depends on the height/weight/torso - I just am trying to get a feel for whether children can still be within those limits.

I was hoping to go straight from the Marathon to a Booster - but from skimming these boards, it seems that the folks recommend continuing to 5 point harnass as long as possible. Which would mean I may need a new FF seat at 5 or 6.

So I guess my question is, is there ANY seat that would take me through until they are ready for a booster? I'm guessing 'no' but the Marathon is probably my best bet - right?

Does this all make sense? There will be no other children to pass this seat onto...just Jake and Becca.

Finally, I found the Marathon (in a few colors) for 239 - free shipping/tax - is that the best price? It seems to be.

Thanks!

ADS

Correct

From experience, can kids stay in the MA until 5 or 6? I know it depends on the height/weight/torso - I just am trying to get a feel for whether children can still be within those limits.

Correct

I was hoping to go straight from the Marathon to a Booster - but from skimming these boards, it seems that the folks recommend continuing to 5lb harnass as long as possible. Which would mean I may need a new FF seat at 5 or 6.
55lb?
Graco Nautilus would be good for use after the Ma. Or whatever better seat it out bu then. I would not worry about that just yet.

So I guess my question is, is there ANY seat that would take me through until they are ready for a booster? I'm guessing 'no' but the Marathon is probably my best bet - right?

Depends on their growth rates.
The Regent would for sure (Forward facing only)

Finally, I found the Marathon (in a few colors) for 239 - free shipping/tax - is that the best price? It seems to be.

Cannot help, but it does sound like a good price.

The Radian, Graco Nautalis and Regent would be worth looking into.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I plan to keep them rear facing through the next year - at least (have to see weight/height etc).

:thumbsup: Good for you!

I'm sure I will be fine on weight - I guess the big question will be height and torso height.

Petite kids and kids with narrow torsos often can use the Marathon to age 5 or 6 (or *maybe* even longer).

I was hoping to go straight from the Marathon to a Booster - but from skimming these boards, it seems that the folks recommend continuing to 5 point harnass as long as possible. Which would mean I may need a new FF seat at 5 or 6.

I can't think of any convertible seat that will get kids to booster age. Some kids might be ready to move from the convertible into a booster, but...

While I would feel comfortable putting a child who has outgrown the Marathon into a booster *part time,* I don't think I would put one into a booster *full time* if I had a choice.

With the seats CURRENTLY available, I would probably move a 5-year-old who has outgrown the Marathon into either a Regent or maybe a Graco Nautilus.

So, to answer your question, the Marathon would probably be a "best bet" for you at this time. The Radian may also be a good one to try.

Thanks!

That sounds like a good price! Just make sure the DOM is recent, especially since your little ones are petite enough to use the seat for a long period of time.

jwren

Just wanted to let you know that www.travelingtikes.com has the Marathon for $219 with free shipping. I have bought from them before and they are great.

My son is 4 1/2 and is pretty close to outgrowing this seat. He still fits, but is uncomfortable by his crotch. (see my post here on this site with photos of my son in this seat) The strap is not deep enough and the buckle sits right on his privates... Not much fun for a little boy...Other than that it's a great seat and I will either get him a Graco Nautilius for now (then move that to Dh's truck) or wait for the new Frontier by Britax coming this spring.. you might look at that one too. There is a post about it under coffee break on this website..

BTW: you need to visit this website and watch the youtube video posted on this site before you go right to a booster after the Marathon...
http://www.kyledavidmiller.org

Hello -
You have all been so helpful, I just want to layout my plan one last time and make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I purchase.

I have 13 month twins, both in their infant seats.
Becca is 19 lbs 8 oz (probably close to 20) and 28 1/2 inches -
Jake is 18 lbs and 27 1/2 inches

Does this all make sense? There will be no other children to pass this seat onto...just Jake and Becca.

Thanks!

akameme

BTW: you need to visit this website and watch the youtube video posted on this site before you go right to a booster after the Marathon...

Ok - that was rough, but important. Because my kids are small, the booster decision is a long way off (I think). But I can see where in a few years when they are forward facing, the regent might make sense.

I bought the 2 seats today, $229 at target w/free shipping!!!! Not the cheapest, but I got the color I wanted, so it was worth a few extra bucks.

jwren

By the time your kids are ready for that, their will be many more choices. The Britax frontier is on my list now.. coming this spring...It will eventually replace the regent and is suppose to be lighter weight, harness to 80 lbs, then converts to booster to 100 lbs...and can use latch with booster...hth

Ok - that was rough, but important. Because my kids are small, the booster decision is a long way off (I think). But I can see where in a few years when they are forward facing, the regent might make sense.

I bought the 2 seats today, $229 at target w/free shipping!!!! Not the cheapest, but I got the color I wanted, so it was worth a few extra bucks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC