MA RF Recline

jb5416

My son (age 11 mos) is RF in a MA, behind the driver's seat in the second row of our Sienna. The car's manual states that child restraints cannot touch the back of the seat (they mess with the airbag sensors). Unless I put the driver's seat nearly all the way forward (very uncomfortable for me--I have long legs) it touches. Does the MA have to be in the full-recline position rf? The manual implies this, and I just called Britax CS and the person who answered the phone confirmed that yes, it does. Anyone know? I don't want to turn my son FF too early, but honestly it is hard to drive like this. For many reasons I can't move his seat to another position in the van (I have three other kids and there are all sorts of considerations having to do with car seats and personalities).

Jessie

ADS

crunchierthanthou

The base has to be in recline mode, but you can install it more upright. Older babies and toddlers with good head control can be as upright as 30 degrees. To get it more upright, pull it back from the seat bight an inch or two and put your pressure over the front of the seat as you tighten the belts, rather than toward the back (push where the child's legs go, instead of where his bottom goes). If it's too upright, you can adjust it a bit with the rf tether. Just be sure not to pull too hard. That can break the recline mechanism or pull out the rip stitching of the energy absorbing tether.

jb5416

It messes me up. My 5 y.o. (in a Radian) is in the center position. He is a bit of a PITB and cannot be next to his 9 y.o. sister, who sits in the third row in a Parkway. I don't want to put the baby in the center of the second row because he is big and squirmy when I go to put him in his seat and I will throw out my back trying to put him in properly. Also, a rf ma in the 2nd row center position in my car blocks my visibility to the back.

I have had no luck trying to change the angle by pushing on the seat during installation. Should I try to install the MA with the seat belt instead of lower anchors?

Jessie

ETA--5 y.o. cannot go in the back because I can't get a good install with the Radian on the back bench seat. Also, he can't buckle himself yet so I would be crawling in and out of the back....

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Try installing the MA more upright. I have my 11 month old RF in her MA behind the driver's seat, and with the seat quite far back there is still 2" of space between the seat and the MA. Pull the MA a couple of inches out of the seat bight, and push down where the baby's feet go while you tighten the LATCH straps. It will be very upright. You can then adjust the recline with the tether. HTH!

mamaofthree

Sorry for being confused, but do you have a 7 seater or 8 seater? It sounds like you have a 7 seater with one captains chair pushed toward center. So you have two kids in the back and the baby and the 5 yo in the captains chairs? Or am I totally off here?

Kimberly

jb5416

I have an 8-seater. My 13 y.o. (5'4", 130 lbs, so adult-sized) rides either up front with me or in the seat behind it. I have the 5 y.o. in the Radian in the second row center, and the baby behind the driver's seat. I can't put the baby behind the passenger seat because I need that seat relatively unencumbered for ins and outs (it flips over). Also, the one power slider (why did I not get two?? Stupid Toyota option packages!!!!) is on that side. You would think with a car that size I would have more flexibility.
Jessie

mamaofthree

Hmmm, that does complicate things. If you had a 7 seater with one chair pushed toward center, your two older ones could ride in the back and get in and out of the walkway easily. Then you could have the Radian behind the driver and the MA next to it, RF. Why am I telling you this when it is not an option? Sorry, thinking out loud. I have a 7 passenger Sienna, and I also can't get ds's MA more upright. I tried pulling it back from the seat bite and pressing only on the front instead of the back to latch it securely. I DID get it more upright, but somehow between the squishiness of the seat and his weight, it quickly reclined back down when I put him in it. The only thing I'd suggest is to put the FF Radian behind you and the MA next to it. My captain's chair is pushed toward center, so not technically in the dead center, but it doesn't block my view RF and I'm 5 ft tall. Also, if he is in the center, don't you have the seat next to it to sit on to put him in? Your other child would have to wait until you did that to get in if they aren't sitting in the front that trip.

Kimberly

mamaofthree

I reread and I think your main concern is that you'd have to buckle kids up on both sides of the van if you switch the baby and the 5 yo's positions right? Right now you prob buckle them both up from the drivers side?

jb5416

Right now I buckle the baby from the driver's side slider and then get in and buckle the 5 y.o. by turning around from the driver's seat and doing it that way. I obviously would not be able to do that with a RF child. The main issue, though, is getting the baby in the seat if he were in the center. He is a big, strong boy and does not like to be strapped in so he struggles a bit. I can't imagine doing that leaning across another seat or child--my back would not be able to take it.
Jessie

mamaofthree

Can you physically get in from the passenger side and sit on that passenger side seat to buckle the baby in RF in the center? I realize that is more work, and means you'd have to get kids in and out from both sides, but it seems like the only safe option. I don't think you should turn him FF. Funny, my slider is only on the passenger side. I always thought they were either on just the passenger side or both sides.

Kimberly

jb5416

The slider IS just on the passenger side. Sorry if I misled you.

I guess I might have to just put him in the middle if I can't change the angle with the install. Darn, darn, darn. With all these kids we are in and out of the car so many times a day. Hoisting him in and out of the middle position would be such a pain. The passenger side seat often ends up folded down, and I can't make it upright with one hand while holding the baby. What a pitb. I could also sell the MA and get an EFTA, which I know will fit. Crud.
Jessie

mamaofthree

Yes, the EFTA! Seriously, if that would solve your prob, I'd do it in a heartbeat. My back hurts just thinking about leaning over a kid or seat to buckle someone in the center, and going to the other side sounds like a big PITB for you too. I really dislike the MA adjuster, even though I love the seat. I have a regular Triumph and love the adjuster knobs, so I kind of wish I had gone with the Triumph Advance anyway. Especially since having the seat tethered RF gets in the way of my dd that has to climb under his seat to get to her captains chair. I realize I could just not tether it RF, but I'd feel irresponsible to have it and not use it.

Kimberly

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC