SafeGuard and Nautilus: Comparison Pics

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
There have been a few threads about these two seats, so I took some pictures.

Here are both seats in their highest setting:
IMGP2106.jpg

SafeGuard top slot. I couldn't compress the seat very well while holding the tape measure and taking the photo, so this isn't the most accurate representation. Fully compressed, the harness is about 19"
IMGP2107.jpg

Nautilus top slots. The harness actually comes out slightly above the fabric, so it's about 18.5"
IMGP2112.jpg

SafeGaurd seat depth and buckle positioning
IMGP2115.jpg

Nautilus seat depth and buckle positioning
IMGP2116.jpg

Even though the SafeGuard's seat depth is shorter, it takes up a little more room on the seat:
IMGP2117.jpg

Both seats measure 19.5 inches at their widest points (arm rests).

The outer points of the head wings are 18.5 for SG, 16 for GN. However, the SG's wings go out more to the side, while the GN's wings go out more toward the front.

Both measure 7" at the innermost point of the wings.

Last edited:
ADS

jwren

wow thank you those were awesome!;) I just have one more question as I could not enlarge the photos (except the first one) how much space from the back of the seat to the crotch strap holes and a the total depth as I could not see the measuring tape without enlarging the photo and it would not let me enlarge it. It sure looks like the seats are the same size though, were they at the highest position? thanks so much for doing that.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, that's weird. I could only enlarge the first one, too. I'll try uploading them to photobucket later. I guess the pictures aren't much use if you can't see them :eek:

Anyway, the crotch strap is about 6" on the SG. On the Nautilus, they are 6" and 7".

The seats were both at their highest positions in that first photo. The Nautilus is actually slightly lower, but I think because of the angle, they look the same. IIRC, there wasn't a ton of difference in the height.

jwren

The photos seemed to loose the links for larger versions now on your original, but on my first reply to you your photos still have the old links, the first one works the rest do not.. weird. anyway I am confused cause SG told me the seat had 7" depth from back to crotch, do you think they compressed the seat? Do you think this could be a problem with a growing boy? thanks...;)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have the SG here with me right now, but I'll measure again later. I didn't compress the seat back, but the buckle measured not even 6". If I compress it I might get a little more than that. I'd be very surprised if I got 7. But don't hold me to that yet.

The buckle isn't a problem at all for us, but I have a pretty skinny kid. The buckle is rather long, so maybe that's why it's not a problem? (In other words, it has enough room that it doesn't mash into him.)

jwren

Thanks I went ahead and ordered the SG from that website I posted yesterday with the sale of $369, and Free shipping, I think it will be fine, as long as he has more room than 5 1/2 inches like the MA.

That website is www.toadsandtulips.com
in case anyone wants to buy one at this price. I think I will get the GN for DH's car later when it's been out for a while. Thanks for all your help.;)

scatterbunny

Great comparison photos, thank you. :)

H and I really liked the Safeguard when we tried her in it over the summer. She had almost two inches of torso growing room, but she complained about the short seat depth. If SG would make a deeper seat it would be awesome. I'm glad to see that the Nautilus top slots are almost as tall, and it has a much deeper seat.

niccig

The photos seemed to loose the links for larger versions now on your original, but on my first reply to you your photos still have the old links, the first one works the rest do not.. weird. anyway I am confused cause SG told me the seat had 7" depth from back to crotch, do you think they compressed the seat? Do you think this could be a problem with a growing boy? thanks...;)

According to the manual, the Safeguard buckle automatically adjusts when you adjust the harness - I wonder if that is a difference - harness at top setting the crotch buckle is further out? I don't know, I just got our seat installed a week ago and I'm still getting used to it.

I like the Nautilus in comparison. We're fine for seats now (1 child, 4 seats mmmm, I might have a problem), but I'll keep it in mind. I'm trying to sell a friend on it - I don't know if she'll like that it's wider than the current seat she has - but it's supposed to fit a bigger kid.
Nicci

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I have a request :) If you measure from the vehicle seat to the top of the armrest, how high is it?

I'm curious if it would puzzle with a Marathon?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC