Whatever happened to...

Valentine

Remember when strollers had a little bar under the handle that you could squeeze to change the position? Like, instead of the child facing out, you could change the handle position so that you pushed the stroller "backwards" and the child faced the parent? When I was little, my friends' parents all had them for the little siblings and even my friend's doll stroller had it! How come those aren't made anymore?

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I thinking she's meaning now that all of the strollers seem to accomodate (or come with) an infant bucket, the baby is sitting in the seat facing you for awhile anyway.

There are still some strollers that do this, if you aren't in the mood for scouring your area Thrift Stores/Craigslist for one of those lovely pastel printed monstrosities of the early 90's. I have a Peg Perego Venezia that does reverse, and actually looks stylish. LOL

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Right, like NZ said, you literally grab the whole seat, lift it up, turn it around, and put it back down facing you. That way the swivel front wheels are always at the front of the stroller (if you flip the handle, then you have the swivel wheels on the back, or they have to make two sets of swivel wheels...it's just much easier for them to make it so the whole seat can be turned around).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
There were a couple different kind of strollers that would do that. The better ones also would let you change which wheels swivel. That way, your front wheel could always swivel. My Peg Perego did that. I remember a Graco that did it too. The others did not allow swivel change, so you ended up with fixed front wheel and swiveling back ones, not as fun.

Now they make the seat move instead. I am assuming that is cheaper to do. The Graco Coachrider does this. Also the Fisher Price infant to toddler stroller the Kolcraft Contours and others.

I figure they don't do it as much, also because a lot of people have their car seat in the stroller, which faces the baby towards you.

Remember when strollers had a little bar under the handle that you could squeeze to change the position? Like, instead of the child facing out, you could change the handle position so that you pushed the stroller "backwards" and the child faced the parent? When I was little, my friends' parents all had them for the little siblings and even my friend's doll stroller had it! How come those aren't made anymore?

I know what you are talking about. My parents had a gray Graco that had a few stripes on it that did that. There was also a boot cover on it. My little sis just had her 1st baby and my mom really wanted one of those strollers again. Ours had burned up in our house fire back in '94.
It would be awesome if you didn't have to pay hundreds of dollars to get a stroller with reversible handle/seat. I had a lot of fun with that stroller. I was 9 when my sis was born.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Well I felt the process is much easier with the flip handle. The seat was also bigger and I was able to push a kid and a basket of laundry in it. It did not push smooth like the ones that we have now. What a difference 14 yrs makes...LOL

mimieliza

Yeah, my cousins were both in that type of stroller (the gray Graco with pink/teal/purple stripes - hello, 1988 called, it wants its stroller back).

My DD HATED her regular front-facing stroller with a fiery passion when she was a teeny baby, but was perfectly happy when I used it as a travel system so she could face me. I would have liked a stroller with a reversible handle, but the Peg Perego Venezia was the only one I found, and it was $$$ and too big and heavy.

Shanora

I had one of those strollers for my first (8 years ago).

Something like this
14330640__1191628209__1__1-db96901e98d21174e23e0fbb87cf1b8e.__big__.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC