Virginia Law News

skaterbabs

You guys may want to keep up on these:

HB1065: Safety belts; makes non-use thereof primary offense.
Chief Patron: Del. Kris Amundson (D-44)
http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2008/hb1065/

SB649: Motor vehicle safety belt systems; repeals language that makes nonuse secondary offense.
Chief Patron: Sen. Patsy Ticer (D-30)
http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2008/sb649/

HB1535:
Safety belts; makes non-use thereof primary offense.
Chief Patron: Del. William Barlow (D-64)
http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2008/hb1535/

And of course the one we all want to defeat :thumbsdown: :mad: :

HB225:
Child restraint devices; exempts children being transported in minibuses and certain vans.
Chief Patron: Del. John Cosgrove (R-78)
http://www.richmondsunlight.com/bill/2008/hb225/

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I noticed the click it or ticket campaign this year was a lot more worded toward it being a primary offense than last year... Now I understand why! :)

Mattkarn

On another note, on the Safe Kids website it has the laws wrong for VA. It says kids only need an age appropriate seat till 5 years old, when it is 8 years old as of June 07. I have e-mailed them more than once about this, any other ideas on how to get them to correct it?

skaterbabs

On another note, on the Safe Kids website it has the laws wrong for VA. It says kids only need an age appropriate seat till 5 years old, when it is 8 years old as of June 07. I have e-mailed them more than once about this, any other ideas on how to get them to correct it?

It was effective July 1st, and yes SK has it wrong. It hasn't been four for a very long time. Since, oh, 2001 or so.

Mattkarn

Ha, ok I will just forget about it then. I was guessing it was about June, I wasn't sure, but I new it was now 8 years old and thats all that counts. I have used it to get some parents to put their children back into boosters.

Airforcemomma

I use to live in Virginia but moved to Ontario Canada in June of 2003. The booster seat law in Ontario Canada is 4'9 and 80lbs or 8 yrs old to use an adult seat belt. And that is just a guide line.
By the time my son turns 8 he will still be too small for an adult seat belt and at the very minimum will be in a BPB until he's between 10-12yrs old based on his size. I know alot of parents will go by the age of 8 yrs old without actually considering the size of their child. The way the law is worded needs to be changed so that all criteria surrounding age , weight and height are met instead of just leaving it up to the parents to say "OK my child is 8 now , they no longer need to be restrained in a child seat" When in many cases the child will still be too small for an adult seat belt to fit correctly.

skaterbabs

While I agree that the law needs to better protect kids 8 and up, the current law is a HUGE improvement over the previous law. Laws were never intended to be the ceiling of what's safe, just a minimum for parents who can't, won't or don't know to do better.

Simplysomething

Yeah, it's through the 8th birthday. IIRC, it was changed to 6 from 4 in '01 or so.

It was changed the year my nephew turned 6 (the one who is the same age as one of your boys, I think. lol). So, 2002. And it changed to age 8, when ds1 was 7 (or, you know, 2007).

While I'd love a height clause in there, I'll take age 8 over age 6 for now. Skater is right, the law is the floor, not the ceiling.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC