UK Expiry questions?

J

Jennifer

Are there any UK tecnicians here? I have a friend in the UK who insists that their car seats are made differently using metal instead of plastic and has scoured her manual and found absolutely NO indication of needing to replace car seats after a specified amount of time. They have NO expiry dates and insist that they have never been advised or recommended to replace after x amount of years.

One friend sent me a link to her car seat and admit, I found nothing recommending as well. Is there anyone from the UK that can send me info either way? Is this correct info?

Please no one from the US stating that there should be no difference, plastic degrades etc. I really need to know that actual standards set in the UK. thanks

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
They don't have "expiration" dates like American seats. However they are only "good" for 10 years, definitely DO NOT have an indefinite life span. I'm not from the UK nor am I a UK Technician however in my country we have some of their seats, it's 10 years.

J

Jennifer

Thank you very much for the response. See in my mind, there is no way they would last "forever" or for the child seat life span of a single child. Materials of any kind wear eventually. She is insisting that she has never been advised to replace her seat unless in an accident and will NOT do so, until advised by a safety testing study or her safety government in the UK. :eek:

Do you know where I can get info with this information to send her? Any where that their governent recommends the 10yr lifespan max? I really would like to open her eyes to this if possible, she has 4 children and adding a 5th soon. I really don't think the use of 1-2 carseats over a span of now 8 years will offer the best protection for her children. :(

She has a Britax and a Maxi Cosi car seat. Both from UK.

Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC