honda odyssey vs. honda pilot

elliebelly

i need to replace a car quickly after an accident. we have four children-14, 12, 6 (britax husky), 2 (britax boulevard). i really, really don't want a minivan. but i'm going to get what is safest, regardless.

i've been looking at the pilot, and if we can resolve the comfort issue with the third seat, i would like to get it. BUT, is it safe to put my 6 and 12 year old back there? are we significantlky better off in an odyssey? i can't find a comparison of the two on safety grounds.

personally, i feel a lot more secure driving an suv. i have a dodge durango as a rental, and i like it, although dh doesn't. he has said no to anything on a truck chassis, so i feel like i'm looking at the highlander or the pilot for an suv, and i have a slight preference for honda, but really just want what's safest, which is sort of hard to figure out, since i'm still pretty fuzzy headed from the collision.

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I do think the Odyssey or the Sienna are safer than the Pilot. They are also MUCH more comfortable. Have you sat in the 3rd row of the Pilot? If your 12-year-old is comfortable back there now, he/she won't be for long. And, have you considered how the 2 kids will GET in the 3rd row? The 2nd row folds & slides forward a little, but not a lot! I'd trade my Pilot for a Sienna in a heartbeat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just adore my Oddysey, I really do...safe, comfortable, easy to drive, and I love love love the sliding doors and the easy easy access to the comfy, full sized third row... I had a Rendezvous before and it's much like a Pilot in the back...small and hard to get to...

Anyway, the Pilot is nice, but I would think it would be awful with four bigger kids (or smaller kids who need help buckling up!)

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I have plenty of experience with both--the Odyssey is by far my top pick. Easier to drive, LOTS of room (my 6'+ tall cousin can comfortably sit in the third row), easy to get in/out of, etc. I'm 5'-2" and I fit just fine in the third row but would not be comfortable for very long. The seat isn't padded very much, your knees are up your nose, and being that high up off the ground above the rear axle makes for some bubble gut moments. IIRC the third row doesn't offer the degree of head support the Odyssey does (head support is important when it comes to neck injuries).

Minivans have also proved themselves to be much safer than SUVs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC