Huh??? What does the Graco Manual Say!!!

lovinwaves

On another forum I frequent I overfilled the tub, if you will, about extended rear-facing.

Anyways, one of the posters posted this. Does the manual really say this?

I'm looking at the user guide for one of my car seats (Graco) and it reads:

"When a child can no longer comfortably fit and knees remain bent, child should use car seat forward-facing..."

(of course it also talks about the child being over 20 lbs, able to sit upright unassisted, 1 yr old, etc.)

That's why I switched all my kids shortly after 1 year - my kids have typically been heavier and taller than average and they certainly met the height "limit" mentioned above.

So, it seems to me that if rear-facing is really the better position for for all children up to 30/35lbs, then even the car seat companies need to be educated. I'll be honest - this post is the first time I've ever heard of such big kids facing backward

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
From page 7 of the Graco Comfortsport manual:
IMPORTANT: This child restraint is
certified for use rear-facing with children
up to 30 lbs. (13.6 kg). However, some
children approaching 30 lbs. (13.6 kg) may be
too tall to fit comfortably rear-facing. When
child can no longer comfortably fit and knees
remain bent, child should use car seat
forward-facing only if child is over 20 lbs.
(9 kg) and can sit upright unassisted. *

PixieEMT

I read that in my Comfort Sport and started laughing! OLD SKOOL! So outdated with their information.....the old "there legs will break" myth at its finest! HOGWASH I SAY!

Ughhh I bought the ComfortSport prior to learning about ERF. I thought 30lbs was high at the time (about 2 years ago still PG) then I learned about ERF and took the CPST class!

I'm selling my seat in the paper. Only used 6 months. So far no calls. I might sell it at a yard sale in the spring.

skaterbabs

Yeah, Graco has said that for a long time and refuses to change their stance, more because parents complain than because it's an issue for the kids.:twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC