Chevy SUV safety, reliability, etc. (jennah?)

Mama2J

I can't believe I keep going back and forth on this decision. I had done my research and chose what looked to be one of the safest SUV's I could. Turns out we are having a disagreement now on that vehicle, and I don't want to bore anyone going over the details of that, but I've posted about that in another thread.

Anyway, I know many people like Chevy's. I have one now and have no problems with it. How do you feel about them not being rated as well in crash tests? Do you feel comfortable with them overall? Which ones do you feel best about? Are there any you would not recommend? We are looking at the Equinox or Trailblazer. The Tahoe and Suburban are out of our price range, and bigger than what we need.

This is not intended to start any type of car debate. I'm really just trying to make the best decision I can. Thanks!

ADS

JustJack

I have an 07' Equinox. I like it overall, its a nice small SUV. We only have 1 kid right now (DS-6months) and we plan on selling/trading it for a Tahoe or something bigger when we have another. For a smaller family, I'd say its perfect. If you have more kids + keep a bunch of 'stuff' in the car like I do, I'd get something bigger.

Mama2J

Thank you! We only have one child, and need the cargo space for stuff and groceries. We will have other passengers occasionally. What type of carseat do you have and what position is it installed? Does it look like there is enough room to fit 3 seats across?

JustJack

I don't think you can do three across with the position of the LATCH. Right now I have an infant seat in the middle (Evenflo) but it sits off to the side a little (its not exactly center) but plan on installing my BLVD soon. Right now only 1 person can ride in the back seat w/ DS. If I put it in an outboard position, I *might* be able to get 2 passengers in the back seat. I haven't tried to install any carseats w/ seatbelts though.

Connor's Mom

I thought that the Equinox was way too small but that was just a personal decision. I LOVE my new Trailblazer!!! It is just the right size and has plent of cargo room. We recently took it on a trip to Memphis (11 drive) and it wes great, plenty of room for all our junk (2 adults + 1 toddler) and all the Christmas gifts. And it was comfortable not cramped. I thing that you could get 3 seats across the back too. We had a Regent and 2 adults backed there with no problem. :thumbsup:

Mama2J

What position do you have the Regent in? Does it install well in the center? My husband currently has an older Blazer, and the manual says not to install a seat in the center at all. Is it safe to do it now with the newer models?

Connor's Mom

I have is outboard passenger side.
Yes, you can install in the center though I have not tried it. There are 2 sets of lower anchors (outboard) and then you can use the seatbelt center. 3 tether anchors in cargo area. :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I LOVE my Tahoe and while I wish it did get better crash rating but I am comfortable with the ratings as it is. I can say no matter what vehicle I replace it with in the future that vehicle will have side curtain airbags & ESC. I figure more added protections is better.

I personally would skip the Trailblazer as it sits right now. Not that it's a bad vehicle by any means. Just for the pure fact it's an old platiform that is either on the way out (rumors the Acadia, Transverse, Outlook, Enclave are replacing it) or will be totally redesigned within the near future. But, Then again you might be able to get a killer deal on one too.

Have you looked at the new GM crossovers? They give you the room of the Tahoe/Suburban but not as big of a price tag.

Also the new Saturn VUE just got really good crash test ratings. I like the Equinox and almost bought one before my Tahoe but we really need a 3rd row as a bunch of our family lives out of state. Plus I have 2 kids that are older and we are now into sports and lugging more kids around too.

We have owned 9 GM vechicles in the past 20yrs and none have had major issues. Well I won't count the time my dh blow up his Camaro's engine b/c that was self inflicted as he put a huge supercharger on a stock motor. No stock motor could hand it. Wasn't the wisest move on his part. LOL!!! Hey but her rebuilt it and it ran high 9's- low 10's down the 1/4th mile track daily and was street driven up until 2003. When he converted it to a full race car. Same engine that he rebuilt that is over 10yrs old. Not many race cars can do that. It's pushing over 600 rwhp on a Chevy stock block. So that has to say something about GM.

Mama2J

I'll have to look further at the other GM ones. Are the Enclave, Acadia, and Outlook all pretty similar? Looks like they are on the web site, and all have third rows. The Envoy looks similar to the Trailblazer, and the Vue to the Equinox as well. Hmm, may have to visit more car dealers. Thanks for all the info!

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I'll have to look further at the other GM ones. Are the Enclave, Acadia, and Outlook all pretty similar? Looks like they are on the web site, and all have third rows. The Envoy looks similar to the Trailblazer, and the Vue to the Equinox as well. Hmm, may have to visit more car dealers. Thanks for all the info!

Yes, The Enclave, Acadia & Outlook are all the same vehicle. The Outlook is less expensive & the Enclave is the top of the line. The Vue & Equinox are the same size. Also the Vue comes in a hybrid if you are wanting an even more fuel eff. vehicle.

Stretchy Glue

The Envoy and Trailblazer are cousins, Chevy makes the TB, GMC makes the EN. I love my Envoy. I had a Husky installed outboard. I've had several seats in the center but the Husky does not work, it is just too wide and renders outboard seats useless. I've had several 3 across situations in mine and installations have been a breeze.
Honestly, I will get another GMC/Chevy when I upgrade. This is only my 2nd in a row, but for DH it's his 4th and he keeps going back to them.
My family has always been a little GM biased, though, and when we all go camping together there are 6 GM trucks/SUV's and it looks like a commercial.

Mama2J

I'm really wanting to install the Regent in the center. I can always move it if we have other people in the car. I'm going to try to look at the Acadia and Outlook this weekend. I did see rigid seatbelt buckle stalks on one of those new ones I looked at online today, but now I can't remember which one. I imagine this would make it difficult to install the Regent, so I'll definitely have to try it out beforehand.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I'm really wanting to install the Regent in the center. I can always move it if we have other people in the car. I'm going to try to look at the Acadia and Outlook this weekend. I did see rigid seatbelt buckle stalks on one of those new ones I looked at online today, but now I can't remember which one. I imagine this would make it difficult to install the Regent, so I'll definitely have to try it out beforehand.

Actually I have rigid belt stalks in my Tahoe caption chairs and installation isn't an issue with our Regent. I can easily install it with the short or long belt path with recline bar rock solid. In dh truck the position with the rigid belt stalk I can get a rock solid install with the Regent using short belt path with recline bar. What helps is the belt stalks are in the seat bit and not really forward so it makes it easier. I have also installed our Regent in the driver outboard caption chair of a Acadia using LBP no recline bar rock solid with no issues. The one we had was a rental and only had caption chairs in the 2nd row. So, I have no idea if a Regent would fit in the center spot but I would love to know if you try it in the Outlook/Acadia. As we are most likely getting the Acadia at the end of the year to replace my Tahoe.

Mama2J

Actually I have rigid belt stalks in my Tahoe caption chairs and installation isn't an issue with our Regent. I can easily install it with the short or long belt path with recline bar rock solid. In dh truck the position with the rigid belt stalk I can get a rock solid install with the Regent using short belt path with recline bar. What helps is the belt stalks are in the seat bit and not really forward so it makes it easier. I have also installed our Regent in the driver outboard caption chair of a Acadia using LBP no recline bar rock solid with no issues. The one we had was a rental and only had caption chairs in the 2nd row. So, I have no idea if a Regent would fit in the center spot but I would love to know if you try it in the Outlook/Acadia. As we are most likely getting the Acadia at the end of the year to replace my Tahoe.

That is good to know, that the seatbelt stalks don't interfere with Regent install. The other thread about the seat needing to be reclined will also be helpful. I haven't been able to get to the dealers this weekend, and the next two weekends we have birthday parties to go to, so we will probably resume looking and buy something in February. I will definitely post info and pics of the vehicle and seat install once I get it. Thanks again for all the help! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC