New Tech, some random ?'s

ffpmcps

Hi all. I am a relatively new tech (May 07). Like many of you I was a "car seat junkie" for awhile before then. First let me say I am already addicted to this site :) I don't get a chance to do a ton of installs, so I love being able to keep up with things and learn from others. So I have a few random questions. I don't have pics of any of these right now, sorry.

1. How much tilt is too much. I know it is OK for a seat to lean slightly due to a center hump or the L/S belt, but is there a certain criteria in degrees or something that says it is too much?

2. With regard to the Apex 65 and the head rest rule. Does it actually have to be a movable head rest, or as long as the head rest of the CSS does not extend above the level of the seat back is it OK? Meaning, if the child is using the seat at a lower level and it does not extend above the height of a stationary seat back. As long as the parent understands that the seat can not be used at a higher level.

3. For RF with an older child, 30deg is still the most upright you want the seat right?

I am sure I will have many more questions, just can't think of them right now :)

Thanks
Andrea

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi! I moved this to Coffee Break so we could all chime in.
I don't think there's a rule about tipping degrees... I know that THIS is not acceptable http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/TippyScenera but most is in the eye of the beholder (That seat wasn't tippy when I put it in, but after slamming on the brakes on the way home, the retractor *really* kicked in... I recommend using locking clips on RF seats with lap shoulderbelts often, because a good install can turn into a baby dumper when the parent least expects it!)

Nope, you don't need an adjustable headrest, just as long as there's some vehicle seat behind the kid's head, at least up to the tops of the ears.

I don't worry about recline angle for older kids...just as upright as comfortable seems to work fine (make sure the manual doesn't have a hard and fast rule you are breaking, of course).

www.carseat.org has the 'technical' section that's a treasure trove of info, they also sell the CD with all the carseat manuals on it (they don't give those out in the classes anymore?), and www.saferidenews.com also has fabulous information and is where to order the LATCH manual.

:)

skaterbabs

Hi all. I am a relatively new tech (May 07). Like many of you I was a "car seat junkie" for awhile before then. First let me say I am already addicted to this site :) I don't get a chance to do a ton of installs, so I love being able to keep up with things and learn from others. So I have a few random questions. I don't have pics of any of these right now, sorry.

Welcome! Congratulations on your certification!

1. How much tilt is too much. I know it is OK for a seat to lean slightly due to a center hump or the L/S belt, but is there a certain criteria in degrees or something that says it is too much?

It's really a comfort issue. There should always be at least 80% of the child restraint on the vehicle seat. If it has tilted enough that there isn't, of course that should be fixed, but rarely does a parent let it get that far.

2. With regard to the Apex 65 and the head rest rule. Does it actually have to be a movable head rest, or as long as the head rest of the CSS does not extend above the level of the seat back is it OK? Meaning, if the child is using the seat at a lower level and it does not extend above the height of a stationary seat back. As long as the parent understands that the seat can not be used at a higher level.

It's typically easier to just say "adjustable headrests or captain's chairs" than explain that the vehicle seat needs to be above the midpoint of the child's head at all times. But you are correct, as long as the child's eyes are not above the vehicle seatback, it's fine.

3. For RF with an older child, 30deg is still the most upright you want the seat right?

That is correct. :)

I am sure I will have many more questions, just can't think of them right now :)

Thanks
Andrea

Glad to help! Don't be afraid to ask, and if you haven't done so already, PM admin with your tech info for access to the tech forum.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Congrats on your certification!!! The PP's have already answered your questions. Just wanted to welcome you.

ffpmcps

Thanks for the replies.

The question regarding the Apex is actually for my situation. I currently have it installed in my Ford Freestyle in one of the captains seat that has a head rest. Super easy install, no issues. DD, however is in a Graco Cargo in DH car, a 07 Ford Taurus, no headrests. Well she will be outgrowing the Cargo, I keep telling DH "soon" just cuz I am itching to get a new seat :p She actually has about 5lbs and 3/4" left for growth in the harness. I am really interested in getting a Nautilus, but of course I want that for my car. Which would mean that the Apex would have to go in his. She still has a ton of growth until her ears would be at the level of his seat backs though. So I guess for now I will wait it out a bit and get more feedback on the Nautilus as people use them more and find the bugs.

Andrea

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had a friend with an Apex in a Taurus ... her 5 yo was still using it harnessed and her head was creeping up on the highest it could be... You could really just try and see where her head is in relation to the seatback... :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC