Difference in slot heights between Triumph and Triumph Advance

popsicle

Does anyone know what the difference is in the top slot heights of these 2 seats? I've replaced one of my sons 2 nearly outgrown Triumphs with a Radian but I'm wondering if it's worth it to get another Radian or if I should save $70 and get the Triumph Advance. He's very skinny so it's doubtful he'll ever outgrow any seat by weight.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The Triumph Advance has a top harness height of 17", so 1" less than the Radian. It will get most kids to a minimum of age 4 - most will get closer to age 5 or more depending on their proportions, and will last as long as a MA if not a little longer.

How old is your ds and is he rf'ing or ff'ing? What harness slots is he using right now and where are his shoulders in relation to them?

The old Triumph was well known for being outgrown fairly young. The new Triumph will get many kids to an age where they're big enough/mature enough for a booster. If you did have to buy another harnessed seat afterwards, you could always buy the Nautilus and then you'd have a booster seat too. ;)

abacus2

The old Triumph actually has pretty tall top slots for a 40lb seat and isn't outgrown very early FFing. It does have a short shell and so is outgrown by height RFing earlier than other seats. My dd outgrew the old Triumph by weight with easily an inch or slightly more of torso growing room left. When I switched her to a Britax Decathlon, she was even with/maybe slightly over the next-to-top slots. That said, any HWH is going to give you more height growing room than a 40lb seat and you'll probably need that height to make it to 40lbs in a harness with a skinny kid.

popsicle

He's 33 months and front facing. His shoulders are nearly dead even with the top slots of the Triumph. Does the Triumph Advance have the same harness tension adjuster as the old Triumphs? If it does I might go with that just because I know it's easier for my mom to get tight. Then again there's a chance she may need to fit my son and my two nieces in her Escape at once and the Radian is more forgiving that way. I'm trying to covince my SIL to get a Radian for my super tall 3yo niece though so... I don't know, I'm indecisive. :eek:

MomToEliEm

It may be worth your time to try and find one of the new Graco nautilus seats (slowly making their way into Walmarts). With it's top harness slot of 18 inches and harness weight of 65 pounds, it is very similar to the radian, and it also converts to a highback booster and low back booster when the time is right.

popsicle

I did consider the Nautilus. I've been watching the threads on it here and I really like that it doesn't look babyish. Unfortunately unless it's available online or at TRU soon it's probably not an option. Our Wal Marts up here have a terrible selection of car seats and rarely get anything "new". My only other option would be to have a family member on the mainland find me one and ship it up, but for what that would cost I may as well get another Radian. :rolleyes:

Also, whatever I get will probably be passed on to an eventual #2 or to my nephew-to-be if it's got any life left when Ki outgrows it, so I'm not as concerned with getting one that converts to a booster as I would be otherwise.

mom2riley

It may be worth your time to try and find one of the new Graco nautilus seats (slowly making their way into Walmarts). With it's top harness slot of 18 inches and harness weight of 65 pounds, it is very similar to the radian, and it also converts to a highback booster and low back booster when the time is right.

ITA

skaterbabs

my BF's younger son is eighteen mos old and outgrew the old Triumph over Christmas. Granted, he is a BIG BOY, but his older bro only made it to three in it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC