At What Point Do You Believe Customer Service?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
This pertains to LATCH limits--Honda in particular.

I've been concerned about Honda's 40-lb LATCH limit for a long time (mainly philosophically as we have a Honda, but have historically had DS in the LATCH-less center).

One day, for kicks, I called Honda to see what they'd tell me about LATCH limits. The woman told me Honda has a 48-lb. limit.

So I wrote a letter to Honda for clarification (and to chastise them for not having the info in the manual--hello!). I also got in touch with the Safe Ride News people to find out how they compile their info. They got me in touch with the engineer they use from Honda, and the three of us had some interesting discussions.

Anyway, in the meantime, I get a call back from a customer service supervisor who explains to me that all LATCH systems are required to meet the same federal standards, and therefore, Honda does not have a LATCH limit but defers to the car seat manufacturer. Sounds good to me, but I asked the guy to look into it more and check with engineering.

I asked the engineer about it, and he continued to insist on 40 pounds. He said mainly that's because they don't want to state 48 pounds and risk having someone use a seat with a 40-lb weight limit just because Honda "says you can." (Kinda lame, and again, not in the manual, so how would people know anyway?)

A couple weeks later, another customer service supervisor called to follow-up from the last call and told me the exact same thing as the other supervisor: same standards, no limit, defer to child restraint. He also said that he had checked with engineering on that information.

Engineering guy insisted that they didn't, and stood by the 40-lbs.

So here's my question (sorry for all the background): I know it's not a good idea to put a lot of stock into answers from your run-of-the-mill customer service reps. But what about when it's two supervisors?

Ordinary consumers don't have access to engineers--they have access to CSRs. So is it really going against manufacturer instructions if your MANUFACTURER is saying it's ok, as opposed to a third-party source (LATCH manual)?

ADS

Maeve

Yeesh, I read that link, too. I just called Honda last week and they told me that the LATCH limit was 50lbs but that I could go by the seat limit. Honestly, they really need to huddle up and come to some sort of decision.

I have an 2005 Odyssey, am buying an old Husky, and am at a loss.

Can any techs tell me if it is complete insanity to buckle up with the tightest fit and then also use LATCH?

Maeve

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Yeesh, I read that link, too. I just called Honda last week and they told me that the LATCH limit was 50lbs but that I could go by the seat limit. Honestly, they really need to huddle up and come to some sort of decision.

I have an 2005 Odyssey, am buying an old Husky, and am at a loss.

Can any techs tell me if it is complete insanity to buckle up with the tightest fit and then also use LATCH?

Maeve

You cannot use LATCH and a seatbelt together as Skaterbabs said. It has never been tested together and no one knows what will happen.

Mommy090804

This issue has been a source of frustration for me since we purchased a Honda vehicle in May2007. SafeRideNews is the only place where I have read the 40lb limit. I do understand that it is a reputable publication, however, most parents are unaware that the publication exists. It is not stated in the manual of the vehicle we purchased, nor was the limit stated in the manual of any Honda vehicle we test drove. Most parents are unaware of the 40lb limit in Honda vehicles. Some concerned parents may have called Honda customer service with the question, but as we can see, there have been many different answers.

If I didn't frequent this website, I wouldn't know about the limit. I would, therefore, be using my Marathon to 48lbs installed with LATCH/UAS (older Canadian seat), and my new Radian Premier to 65lbs installed with LATCH/UAS, as clearly stated in both carseat manuals.

The Honda vehicle manual needs to state the LATCH limit. Would Honda be liable if the LATCH anchors were to fail in a collision with a Radian Premier installed with a 50lb child in it? I am not saying that I want my child to be a crash test dummy, but it appears to me that Honda should be more proactive in respect to this discrepancy and lack of consistent information.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I agree Honda does need to print the 40# limit in thier manuals. I know SRN does a lot of research before printing thier info. I think Honda jsut needs to get on the same page to make the info clear.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC