New Graco Nautilus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZephyrBlue

Kimberly, that's an awesome idea! My mom is a seamstress and I bet she could whip some up :thumbsup: Great suggestion!

ADS

mamaofthree

Since you would normally put the belt guides right above the child's shoulder for booster use, wouldn't you do the same with this seat? My boys are currently in tb's and the belt guides have never bothered their heads - it is too low - sitting slightly above their shoulders.

I see what you are saying, but when in harnessed mode, the headrest piece overlaps the reg seatback, so even though the guides may be right above the childs shoulders, they are kinda "in" the seat, and look like they could bother the child.

melniemi

It does look like they could. But based on how my sons fit their turbos with the same headrest and seatbelt guide, I don't think it actually would.:twocents:

mamaofthree

The TB is only the same when you are comparing it in booster mode, not harnessed mode. Being flush with the entire seat and being in the seat are different. The only reservations I have about it would be in harnessed mode. I really hope its not a prob, cause I want this seat, but I know if something is remotely in my girls "space" then they will complain about it.

Kimberly

mamaofthree

Ok, the more I look at Brenden in the seat, the less intrusive they really look. They ARE flush with the headpiece, even though they stick in the seat. It shouldn't bother them any more than the headpiece right?

Kimberly

Mama!

Why should I be concerned since my vision can't really be blocked anymore. I really think that it depends upon the car and seat set up. I'm 5'11" tall (so it's not a height issue on my part) and as I said, my son's seat blocks the window completely. He's in the Como in my car. The Blvd doesn't block as much and the Radian even less.. but he's not in those seats in my car. The Como takes up a lot of space, then the way my pillars are shaped, and the placement of the seat all contribute to my difficulty with seeing out the side window for lane changes. I recognize that my vision will be blocked for a while which is why I've learned to compensate as best I can for it. That said, I wish I could still see out the window better.
I can see this happening.
The shells on the como and signo are MASSIVE. Deep, wide, tall, you name it.

tryin

This looks perfect!

But, would you guys be comfortable buying a new seat on the market? No reviews yet makes me a bit nervous...

s_kristina

Is there going to be a Nautilus sighting thread? This looks perfect for my ds! I think we have about another 6 weeks to 2 months before he will be too tall for the seat he is currently in. The Regent is too deep for our vehicle which makes me think the Apex likely would be too. If the base on this is about the same size as the TurboBooster or even 1-2 inches deeper I know it would work as dd is currently in the Turbobooster. I pounced on poor dh when he came home for lunch just to tell him about this seat! Now if anyone sees one in the Orlando area or straight east of there I'd love to hear about it.

amyg530

so im excited about this seat and cant wait to see it, ive already reccomended it as a possible next seat for my friend whos 5yo and 3yo are about to outgrow their 40#seats, i think it might be esp good fir her 5yo b.c all his friends are in boosters and he'll look like he is also. Also i looks to me like it might be the best harness to booster seat for booster use. i cant wait to look for it at WM, i have 4 within less than 10 miles

mamaofthree

Ok, who wants to call Graco and ask if there's gonna be a more padded version, with Graco Pedic foam? I need to know- otherwise I'll buy the WM version, since it seems that store is getting them first.

Kimberly

melniemi

Ok, the more I look at Brenden in the seat, the less intrusive they really look. They ARE flush with the headpiece, even though they stick in the seat. It shouldn't bother them any more than the headpiece right?

Kimberly

That would be my thought! I even looked at Taylor in his seat today and thought about it some more. The back of the nautilus would go behind the headrest of the turbo, kwim? So they really aren't intruding on any space.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
This looks perfect!

But, would you guys be comfortable buying a new seat on the market? No reviews yet makes me a bit nervous...

Oh, we ARE the reviews you want to read ;). A Graco will have fine crash test performance, so no need to wait for Consumer Reports' mystery/flawed testing... and enough of us will buy it to give you a good picture (and unlike Amazon or Walmart reviews, no one here will try to use it rearfacing, or some other horrible misuse scenario and complain about it)

:thumbsup:

Midwife@heart

She does not know if they will make a more padded version.
She said that there might be other colors as the orders start to come in.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Good thing I didn't hold my breath because the local WalMart did not have the Nautilus when I specifically stopped by for a quick look this morning. This store rarely gets much in the way of new carseat models and has little space devoted to carseats at all. :thumbsdown: On the plus side, I finally saw the girly flowered Scenera cover in person. Yayy. :whistle:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
This looks perfect!

Absolutely. Graco has made car seats for years and has a good safety track record. They also have experience specifically with combination seats - although this is a huge improvement on the cargo.

There really hasn't been any bugs with the SS1 that I've been aware of. They recently started making some models with strap covers, but that's not a structural/use thing. If they can get a newly redesigned carrier right right from the time it's marketed, I'm confident they're doing the same thing with the Nautilus.

FWIW, I don't think the belt guides will be an issue. Despite the angle, they are slightly recessed behind the padding/EPS of the seat, plus they will always be below the main part of the head. The Apex has the requirement of adjusting the headrest so the child's head is in the middle of it, so I'm fairly certain that that will also be part of the instructions for adjusting the headrest on the Nautilus.

BabyKaykes

This looks perfect!

Yep!!! Graco has been in the car seat business for years. They make good harnessed seats (minus the CS) and good boosters. So good for them for combining the two - On a side note, does anyone else think they may discontinue the Cargo after this? When was the last time they changed anything, 2005?

What seats would I be worried about? Recaro hadn't made a convertible before and I have yet to hear anyone say they LOVED it all around. The TrueFit SOUNDS great (as did the Como/Signo), but Compass hasn't ever made a convertible, either. I'd be just as leary if BabyTrend started making anything other than infant seats and crappy joggers.

Brendan's Mom

I am laughing because I have had this seat for a bit now and never noticed any issues with the red plastic booster threads. I just made B get into the seat to see if there are any issues I should be concerned about. I am not at all concerned his head would hit the red pieces. I even extended the headpiece all the way (two clicks) and can't see how his skull would ever hit it.

When in position his shoulder or upper arm could (in extreme circumstances) hit the red pieces, but I am not really concerned. He has not complained at all about being uncomfortable. His body doesn't seem to come in contact with the plastic. He has had no complaints about the comfort of the seat. He was complaining it was cold outside, but likes the seat. I am surprised because I thought he would ask for his regent since it is roomer and has more cushioning.

MomToEliEm

On a side note, does anyone else think they may discontinue the Cargo after this? When was the last time they changed anything, 2005?

But the cargo is 2 inches narrower then this new seat (17 inches vs 19 inches). I have a cargo and love that it fits well in tight places. It would be great if Graco could modify the cargo with 18+ in top harness slots and up the harness weight, and maybe modify the booster seatbelt adjuster things so the seatbelt actually fits kids well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC