ready for a booster?

M

mamatothree

I have a 2004 Sienna, and as it's been discussed in forums here before, there's nothing in the manual to indicate a LATCH weight limit -- it says to defer to the car seat manual.

My 6 1/2 year old son has been using a LATCH'd Safeguard Go. On Friday, as we were putting it in the other car, one of the side wings snapped off. I believe it's out of warranty by about a month.

Before I replace the seat, I'm wondering if he's ready for a booster. He's about 52 or 53 pounds and tall for his age. I don't know exact torso height, but he outgrew a Marathon in height well over a year ago and his total height is 48". Is he ready for a booster? And if so, should it be belt-positioning with a back or just a backless booster?

Thanks.

ADS

ThreeBeans

At that age, the issue is purely behavioral. You know him best. Can he sit properly in a booster, every trip, no matter how long, without horsing around or messing with the seatbelt?

And yes, he definitely needs a full back booster.

USmominOz

I would call Safeguard to see what they say. It can't hurt to try.

My Blvd cover was starting to fade and it was just over a year old and Britax sent me a new cover set.

groovymom2000

Definitely contact safeguard--they have always had terrific cs whenever I have called them. I'm surprised that he made it that long in a Go when he outgrew the Marathon so long ago--it gives me hope that my 3 year old will get more use out of his Go.
As far as a booster goes, like the other posters said--it's a behavioral things. I would definitely go for a high back booster, but don't throw out the GO-it does convert to a backless!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC