Apex 65 question?

spcamno

Just pick one up before the x'mas beside the short crotch strap I noticed that it DOES NOT comes with a belly pad.

Was it missing or purposely left out?

If it never was included with the seat can I use one from other seats or its not safe?

Thanks

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't believe that apex or other dorel seats come with a belly pad. Officially anything that doesn't come with the seat is considered an after market product and not recommended. The belly pad from the Radian is really incredibly thin though and I don't think it would interfere with the harness adjustment...

So I'd say that while I wouldn't recommend it, this is an area that would fall into the parental decision category. I really can't say definitively one way or the other as to if it would affect safety of the seat - I would guess not, but I really don't know for sure.

ffpmcps

It does not come with a belly pad. I also noticed the short crotch strap. I emailed customer service and they were VERY quick to respond and very friendly. They sent me out a longer crotch strap. I had it within a couple of days. It is not a lot longer. But long enough to work just fine without pinching my daughter's legs.

Andrea

spcamno

Thanks for all the reply!

Yeah, Although not an expert but a very thin belly pad to protect the skin or just act as a cushion from the edge of the buckle shouldn't to be consider an unsafe practice.

I tried calling Dorel but unfortunately they are not working during the time that I call so I guess I will have to wait till after the holidays.:(

snowbird25ca

One question I have, is is the crotch strap causing problems right now? I sat my dd in one at BRU tonight and while it was low, I don't think it fit her much different than the MA's did when she was in cloth diapers. It's possible not all kids will have problems with the length of the crotch strap, even if it appears shorter. :shrug-shoulders:

(Of course doesn't hurt to have them send out a longer one jic, I'm just mentioning that it might not be needed in all cases. ;))

tjham

I lost the belly pad for a Britax cover and found a thin (as thin as a belly pad) round black potholder at Target. in the $1 section. Since it was summer and my granddaughter was in shorts and dresses, she needed the coverage, so I bought the potholder and put a small slit in it in the proper place. It has worked just fine. I guess now that it is cold, I could take it off but I haven't yet.

spcamno

The short strap is barely okay.

Our ds is 4.5 years old 52 lbs and 43" tall and I found that its very easy to pinch his thigh when buckling him up.

The potholder is a great idea and I guess some padding really thin will do the trick also.

My other question is can I use the Apex without their "Body pillow" (that's what it called according to the manual)?

I tried look through the entire manual but it never explain clearly if that's mandatory, however it does said in the diagram part name "F" and body pillow (on selected model).

So will it be safe to use without it?

Its nothing more than some padding to give a snug fit when use on small child.

Anybody can confirm this?

I can't use this seat unless I remove the body pillow due to the short strap otherwise I will have to wait till after the holiday and have them send me a longer one before using it (our ds like it very much and wants to try it our in our ody instead of sitting on it in our family room):p

snowbird25ca

My other question is can I use the Apex without their "Body pillow" (that's what it called according to the manual)?

I tried look through the entire manual but it never explain clearly if that's mandatory, however it does said in the diagram part name "F" and body pillow (on selected model).

So will it be safe to use without it?

Anybody can confirm this?

It is 100% safe and acceptable to remove the body pillow. They use the term "seat pad" in the front warnings section and in the manual to refer to the seat cover. The body pillow is optional and can be removed for use with larger kids.

I called Dorel to confirm my interpretation of the manual after someone else had interpreted it differently and was told by them that the pillow could definitely be removed. So based on my reading of the manual, and conversation with them, I'm 100% sure that it's fine to remove the pillow. :thumbsup:

spcamno

It is 100% safe and acceptable to remove the body pillow. They use the term "seat pad" in the front warnings section and in the manual to refer to the seat cover. The body pillow is optional and can be removed for use with larger kids.

I called Dorel to confirm my interpretation of the manual after someone else had interpreted it differently and was told by them that the pillow could definitely be removed. So based on my reading of the manual, and conversation with them, I'm 100% sure that it's fine to remove the pillow. :thumbsup:

Thanks again Trudy,

You are wonderful!:thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC