Boulevard HELP - Knob just fell OFF

Northriver

I got a new Boulevard in Sept, and have only use the adjustor knob once, on that day in Sept when I installed the seat rearfacing.

I just turned the seat forward facing today for the first time and all went great until I went to adjust the shoulder height, and the knob facing the door fell off in my hand.:mad: I screwed it back on but now it only lowers the straps, doesn't raise them and with a growing toddler that really isn't very useful.

The knob on the other side still works. I know it isn't that big of a deal to climb in on the other side to adjust it every few months. But knowing that that one could also break anytime too and the seat would be useless is frustrating.

Of course the minute the knob broke off I called Britax, 5 minutes before they closed for the weekend - but they were already closed and I certainly won't be able to get ahold of them until after Christmas.

Has anyone had this happen? The seat should still be safe to use, right?

ADS

Northriver

Ok, I mostly figured this out on my own. If you hold on to both knobs at the same time, you can tighten them together. There must be a threaded rod that goes into both knobs on either side of the seat. Funny they don't mention this in the manual, I did not see any notation unless I missed something.

Anyway, I got it tighened up and it seems to work fine now!:D

Scared me when that knob fell off in my hand on the second use. This was one of the features of this seat that I was really looking forward to using!

melniemi

I would still call Britax after Christmas. I think they should replace your seat. Parts shouldn't just fall off.

Edited to ask: How old and how big (height and weight) is your child? Did he/she outgrow the seat rearfacing?

Northriver

Not quite, she is 30 months and 31 pounds. The cold temperatures, the snow and ice and the coat, the boots, the wet shoes that get her clothes wet - on top of the fact that my back seat is tiny and it really takes forever to get her installed in the freezing temps - I just took advantage a the nice weather (above freezing) today to switch the seat. She goes to preschool everyday and with all these shopping trips I feel like I'm spending hours every day in cold parking lots struggling to get her in and out of her carseat. I really just couldn't take it anymore.

I've been agonizing about the move to FF for several months and I know the risks. I plan to turn her back RF if the weather improves before she hits the weight limit, I promise!

melniemi

Don't feel bad! She is 2 1/2 and 31 pounds:love: If that is a naked weight, then she could very well be close to the weight limit when dressed with boots on. My own dd made it to 31 months before she hit 33#s fully dressed with boots. I was comfortable switching her at that age, rather than run out to buy a scenera to rearface for another 2#s. I think she would have been real close if not too tall to rearface in the scenera anyway.

lovinwaves

I've been agonizing about the move to FF for several months and I know the risks. I plan to turn her back RF if the weather improves before she hits the weight limit, I promise!

Heh, you're the parent ;) It's your decision and don't feel that you will be put down here for ff'ing her. She is much older than the recommended 18mths. :thumbsup: Many of us here have our 2 year olds forward-facing :)

Northriver

I bought the Boulevard in Sept to keep her RF to the limit. But much to my surprise, she has gained 3 pounds in the 3 months since I bought the seat! So I'm not nearly as concerned about FF as I was back in Sept.!

Thanks for the help. I report back with news from Britax. I really think the knob is fine, it just came unscrewed. The knob is kind of squished into my seatback in the FF position, so it was hard to turn, and that is how it came loose *I think*.

lovinwaves

I bought the Boulevard in Sept to keep her RF to the limit. But much to my surprise, she has gained 3 pounds in the 3 months since I bought the seat! So I'm not nearly as concerned about FF as I was back in Sept.!

I thought my daughter would do this same thing, but she is still holding steady at 29-30lbs... :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC