Broken Collar bone and Harness.

StarrNanny

One of my little kiddos broke his collar bone last night. He's in a sling and is in ALOT of pain. On the way to and from the doctor he was complaining that the harness was hurting him. now this is a kid who under normal circumstances will tell me "i not safe, it not too tight". I don't know what to do, should i put him in the seat and keep his harness the way it is, or do I adjust it looser for him for now? I feel like making it looser kinda defeats the purpose if using it at all.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

How much does he weigh? Can you put him rf? At least then in a crash the seat will absorb most of the force, rather than the harness against his broken bone. I'd even consider a $40 scenera with a 35 rf weight limit to acheive that.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
How much does he weigh? Can you put him rf? At least then in a crash the seat will absorb most of the force, rather than the harness against his broken bone. I'd even consider a $40 scenera with a 35 rf weight limit to acheive that.

I agree. Iam sorry he is in pain hope he feels better soon.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, gosh, dont' feel that way! Looser is still a hundred times better than nothing! Leah was RF when she broke her collarbone and I left it a tich looser on her... even if she were FF I would have without much worry. If it's impossible to turn him RF, then I might seriously put the harness up a notch, so that it's not pressing down on his collar bone at all (unless it's already above his shoulder? then that won't help). This is where the current wording for harness tightness that's in all manuals comes in handy... The harness should lie in a straight line without slack or without pressing the child's body into an unnatural position (something like that...basically, not very loose, but not as tight as you're used to).

:)

Suzibeck

Oh! Your poor man! I agree with the others to loosen it a titch. If you are anything like me you can loosen and still not pinch the harness at all.

My oldest broke her collar bone at 3 1/2. She was in a booster at the time (she hit 40# and there were no hw options back then), so I moved her seat so the shoulder belt crossed the unbroken collar bone. Now, I would go with the slightly looser harness.

My dd had quite a bit of pain for about a week, but only if she forgot and used the arm or someone tried to pick her up. Other kids were the biggest offenders. After a week, she was back to normal. I hope your little man heals quickly!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Nadia broke her colar bone when she was 2. Fortunately, she was still rear facing. They didn't put her in a sling. They said at that age, kids are pretty good about self regulating and won't use the arm if it hurts. As for the carseat, she was fine as long as I didn't really cinch it down hard. It took a little trial and error, but after a couple of days, we got the hang of it.

Beckers

DD broke hes about 1 week before her 3rd B'day...She was in a lot of pain for a few days and scared of anything hurting it.

In the ER they wrapped an Ace bandage around her arm and torso after the put the sling on. I think that really made her feel safe enough to get up and move around knowing she wouldn't forget and hurt herself.

As for the car seat, I agree that you could loosen a smidge without compromising (sp?) huis safety :)

StarrNanny

Thanks guys. I loosened the harness all the way out, then readjusted it to accommodate the new "gear" (sling and brace). It's looser than I would like, but I'd rather that than him crying in pain the whole time we are driving.

Gotta love my little man. When we got in the car to go pick up the older one from school he says to me. "are you sure this is safe?" :love:

The doctor said three weeks, but I'm hoping he gets to feeling better sooner.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I hope he feels better soon!

My nephew broke his collar bone at birth. Yikes. Thankfully he was RF (of course) and my brother/SIL were able to SIGNIFICANTLY limit the number of trips in the car, so the harness wasn't too big of a deal since they rarely went anywhere during the weeks he was healing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC