These strollers...has anyone used?

View attachment 964

Has anyone used one of these or similar and how did you find them. I've been told that the seat reverses, and that you can attach a car seat and carry cot. Some come with boot covers, rain covers etc.

Ive been offered one for $99 less than rrp and a half price seat to go with it. The carrycots do not come until early 2008.

I am looking to buy it for a family member for her first.
TIA

Last edited:
ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
At 1st I thought the handle flipped like one I had in 94, but after reading the reviews I gues the seat actually turns around.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Not sure if you were talking to me or NZ, but this is the one I just ordered http://www.amazon.com/Kolcraft-Conto...Z4FR2DRJAY4F0

According to the reviews it compares to a buggaboo.
I was talking to NZ. :)

For some reason, the Amazon link you posted tells me "not found"? But, is is the Kolcraft Contours 3-wheeler or 4 wheeler? If so, they are really cute strollers but HEAVY and the seat is very small. Moms have had their kids grow out of it at age 2. Also, there is no suspension in the wheels, the suspension is attached to the seat, so it won't have the cushy feel of higher quality strollers.

Doesn't mean it's not a good stroller, obviously the people who bought it like it! But, I really think you'd notice the difference if you pushed a Bug around and then pushed this (and I'm not even a Bug fan, but they do push/steer REALLY nice).

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I was talking to NZ. :)

For some reason, the Amazon link you posted tells me "not found"? But, is is the Kolcraft Contours 3-wheeler or 4 wheeler? If so, they are really cute strollers but HEAVY and the seat is very small. Moms have had their kids grow out of it at age 2. Also, there is no suspension in the wheels, the suspension is attached to the seat, so it won't have the cushy feel of higher quality strollers.

Doesn't mean it's not a good stroller, obviously the people who bought it like it! But, I really think you'd notice the difference if you pushed a Bug around and then pushed this (and I'm not even a Bug fan, but they do push/steer REALLY nice).

It is the 3 wheeler. I have 2 other joggers a Schwinn and a BabyGo. I do not jog btw. I also have a quinny Zapp. The Zapp is obviously light. The Baby go is very heavy, but I lug it around anyway. It works great for when DH races. I use the Schwinn for waling around the neighborhood. I plan on using the Kolcraft for walking around the neighborhood as well. We get a lot of wind being at the base of a mountain, so I like that I can turn the seat to face me. I have pushed a bug around in the store, but I would only be able to have 1 stroller if I had a bug ... LOL. It does push very nicely! DD is very small. She is barely 5% for height and even lower for weight, so I am not to worried about her outgrowing it too soon. Thanks for your help :love:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I have no idea. I think they are similar to Bugaboo, without the price tag and label.

Will check back later, off to sew some diapers. Ciao.
Similar to the Bug in quality? or similar in that the seat reverses? Because in functionality, it is not the same as a Bug. The Bug has rear air tires, and narrower inset front wheels for manoeuvrability. The one you have pictured has front wheels that are wider than the rear, so not as good for shopping, etc. I could go on, but it might not matter if it's not similar to the Bug, if you're not needing the functionality of a Bug.

How will she be using the stroller? shopping? strolling on city streets? long walks? uneven or rough terrain?

There doesn't look to be a basket, only the bag that clips on? Could be terribly annoying if she wants to store a diaper bag or keep shopping bags. But, if she's not using it for shopping, it won't matter. Also, the wheels are more of mall stroller wheels, it's not made for walking. And the rims appear to be plastic.

The reversible bucket seats like that are not usually suitable for a newborn because the seat bottom is not independent of the back, so she would need a carrycot (although you said it was available soon). From the pic it's hard to tell, but I am not sure if the bumper bar is removable? If it's not, that can be a real pain getting kids in and out, especially when they are older and want to climb in on their own.

What's the sun like where you are? The canopy on this one doesn't provide a lot of coverage and it has the clear panels on the side which will allow sun to stream in. My Quinny Buzz had similar panels in the canopy and it drove my DD crazy in the summer, she was always covering her eyes.

Do you have any specs on the stroller? overall weight? width? weight capacity of seat?

With more info on the stroller and how she will be using it, I could be a lot more help. :)

How will she be using the stroller? shopping? strolling on city streets? long walks? uneven or rough terrain?

malls mainly

The reversible bucket seats like that are not usually suitable for a newborn because the seat bottom is not independent of the back, so she would need a carrycot (although you said it was available soon). From the pic it's hard to tell, but I am not sure if the bumper bar is removable? If it's not, that can be a real pain getting kids in and out, especially when they are older and want to climb in on their own.

yes they can be taken off, though some are fixed, i will keep this in mind.

What's the sun like where you are? The canopy on this one doesn't provide a lot of coverage and it has the clear panels on the side which will allow sun to stream in. My Quinny Buzz had similar panels in the canopy and it drove my DD crazy in the summer, she was always covering her eyes.

Very bad, we lie under the ozone hole. High and serious UVA & B rays.
I will look for non-clear panels.

Do you have any specs on the stroller? overall weight? width? weight capacity of seat?
i will look for some/measure.

HTH

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, if she is mainly going to be using it in malls, the canopy *might* not matter. But, if she's thinking it will go for a walk to the park, or when she's out shopping she ends up being outside a lot, it WILL matter.

This stroller does look cute and may very well be a good mall stroller. It's not so great for outdoor use or long walks, but that's not what you said she needs it for.

What's your budget? And are the brands available in Australia also available to you? (I'm kinda guessing you're in New Zealand?). If they are, I had found a couple nice ones in Australia with reversible seats. I'll see if I can dig up my links.

Adjustable handle might be important if her and her husband have a good difference in height, or if one of them is on the short or tall side. DH is 7" taller than me, so I like to have the handle lower than he does and we'd be struggling if we had to find a stroller with a handle height that suited us both.

Oh, and will she be putting it in and out of the car a lot? If so, then you want to make sure you try folding it before you buy it. Make sure the fold is easy and that it actually fits into her trunk or cargo area (if you're able to test that) in a way that she still has room for other things. You'd be surprised at how huge some of these strollers can be and they sometimes fit in a vehicle very awkwardly.

Last edited:
Some good points there!
\

The handle is height adjustable on most of them it seems.
Max would be $250 NZ
The AU links would be great, we could get one while on our next trip over there.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay, I could only find one right now! The Steelcraft Strider http://www.britax.com.au/Websites/Business/brproddb.nsf/LUPages/Strollers-Strider 4 This also comes in a 3 wheel version. I actually have the almost identical stroller here (uses the same frame and seat) but it's called the UppaBaby Vista here. This one is likely larger than she needs if she's only using it for malling. But, the basket is sooooo great, one of the greatest baskets I've used because it holds so much (so great for shopping or if you walk to the grocery store). In North America it comes with the bassinet but I don't think it does over there. It also might be pricier than you want, I think I saw it on sale for $339. It also has a one-handed recline on the seat (so easy to recline or upright baby while you have a drink in one hand!) and it's very easy to fold/unfold.

The one you found originally seems like a really good price. Could you buy it from somewhere that has a decent return policy in case the quality isn't what you expect or your family member doesn't like it?

I'll keep digging and see if I can find any of my other links!

This is one of the strollers here in NZ:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Baby-gear/Prams-strollers/Four-wheel-strollers/auction-132029006.htm

and this one:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Baby-gear/Prams-strollers/Four-wheel-strollers/auction-131245967.htm

Hope that helps. They are both stores. The first is from home and the second is the one that has offered a discount, greater than the advertised price on there. I am weighing up the pros and cons of ea. If she didnt like it I would keep it or sell on for another.

Any recommendations between these two? I also have an offer for one straight from the factory, international postage only, but it comes with the bassinet and heaps of accessories.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I wish there were some specs on your 2nd link. The 1st link, is essentially the same as the Steelcraft Strider (and thus UppaBaby Vista). One problem I see, it is heavier than the Vista, I think due to the black panelling they have on the frame. My Vista weighs about 25 pounds, and I always take the seat off and put it into the vehicle in 2 pieces because this makes it lighter to do so. The one you linked to is 3 pounds heavier. What kind of vehicle does she drive? If it's a car and she has to lift over the back end and lower into the trunk, a lighter stroller is nice. Vans aren't so bad because they are low and don't have the lip to lift over, so you can get away with something a bit heavier.

Also, the first one is wide (the same as my Vista). If you have teensy shops with small isles, this will be an issue. If she's only wandering the mall and going into big box stores with large isles, it won't matter so much. The company that makes the Vista actually just came out with narrower hubs on their wheels, so they have shrunk the width of the stroller by 2" (so 25" overall or 63.5cm) which does make a difference. It doesn't seem like other companies using the same stroller chassis have moved to a narrower wheel though. I am ordering a set of the new wheels because I sometimes find the width a pain when we go for a walk and then stop in at a coffee shop or for ice cream.

So, basically, I wouldn't consider the first a mall stroller, BUT, it's a really nice stroller. We love it for outdoor events and concerts, walks, etc. I have a Valco Buggster for my indoor stroller because it can get in and out of anything and I never catch the wheels on clothing racks! :)

I'd love if you could find any specs on the stroller in your very first post. The wheel size on it will make it a better mall stroller.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I decided on the Steelcraft Britax Strider. (or the model that is the same but labelled by another company) for $149 NZ. ($112 US)

It can be rear faced, forward faced and compatible with car seat and carry cot. I did not get any extra accessories.

It did come with a rain cover too. It weighs 11.7kg (25.7lb)

The back wheels are wide, but not much of the stores in her area are small so it should not be too much of a prob. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC